midshipman to breeders cup dirt mile

rayphilrayphil Senior Member
edited October 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
BREEDERS' CUP DIRT MILE

BREEDERS' CUP DIRT MILE
Submit your picks and analysis, and check back soon for Fan Picks on this race ...

Fan Picks are your opportunity to prove
you're a real wise guy at handicapping!
Click "Submit Your Picks" above to get started.

Midshipman, the champion 2-year-old male of 2008, is still on course for the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile on Nov. 7, trainer Saeed bin Suroor said on Sunday.

Midshipman has started just once since his victory in last year's Breeders' Cup Juvenile, a win in an optional claimer at Belmont Park on Sept. 18. As of Monday, Midshipman had not had a recorded workout since the Belmont race, but Suroor insists the colt is doing well.

"He's better than at any time," he said. "Physically, he's improved a lot."

Midshipman recently arrived Godolphin Racing's division at Santa Anita Park.

The Dirt Mile is also in the plans for Crown of Thorns, who finished second to the Godolphin-owned Gayego in the Grade 1 Ancient Title Stakes on Sunday.

Crown of Thorns was beaten 1 1/4 lengths by Gayego after closing from sixth in a field of 10. Gayego rallied from ninth.

A winner of 2 of 5 starts and $217,080, Crown of Thorns won the Grade 2 Robert Lewis Stakes at Santa Anita in February 2008, but missed 18 months of racing because of injuries.

The Ancient Title was his second start following that layoff. Trainer Richard Mandella said that Crown of Thorns will also be pre-entered for the BC Sprint on Nov. 7.

"I'm leaning more toward the Dirt Mile, but I'd consider the Sprint," Mandella said. "I think the Mile will be a little easier."

The Sprint is led by Zensational, the 3-year-old sprint star trained by Bob Baffert, and Gayego

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for posting. Nice update on Crown of Thorns as well...