Rider Tom Queally comments on his two Breeders Cup mounts (Twice Over/Midday)

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited October 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Sporting LIfe:

Tom Queally has expressed his delight at being told he will partner both Twice Over and Midday for owner Khalid Abdullah at the Breeders' Cup in California next month.

Fresh from his memorable Dubai Champion Stakes triumph on the Henry Cecil-trained Twice Over, Queally said from Windsor: "I'm obviously delighted the owner wants me to carry on my association with the two horses in America, and I'm greatly looking forward to it.

"It's good that at this stage of my career I can ride in such a high-profile events as the Breeders' Cup."

Queally guided Twice Over to a memorable triumph - one that brought the house down - on Twice Over at Newmarket on Saturday. The four-year-old then became a late player in the $5 million Classic.

It will be the first time the colt has run on a synthetic surface and Queally observed: "It's impossible to know how he will handle the surface, but the going was pretty quick at Newmarket. He did it really well, but I'm the kind of guy who leaves it to the horses to do the talking."

Midday has shown her best form on quicker conditions, as was the case when she was just touched off by Sariska in the Investec Oaks, while the going at Longchamp was in no way on the easy side when she made the frame in the Prix de l'Opera.

Queally added: "Midday gives every indication she handles good fast ground, as it looks like being for the Filly & Mare Turf. She always seems to give you her all and it will be a pleasure to team up with her again."

Although he has visited the US for working holidays, Queally, who has ridden four Group One winners this season, will be having his first rides there at the marquee fixture of the year on November 6 and November 7.