Red Rocks to the BC Turf once again...

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited October 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Racing Post:

RED ROCKS, the 2006 Breeders' Cup Turf winner, is being trained by Brian Meehan to make his fourth appearance in the race which will be the horse's final career start.

Connections are trying to secure a stallion deal for Red Rocks but if negotiations fallthrough, the six-year-old will be auctioned at Fasig-Tipton's November Select sale on November 10.

Red Rocks, who had been trained in the US since his defeat of Curlin in the Man O'War Stakes, returned to action in Britain for the first time in over a year to run fourth behind subsequent Emirates Airline Champion Stakes runner-up Mawatheeq in the Cumberland Lodge Stakes at Ascotlast month, offering encouragement that he could be competitive at Santa Anita on November 7.

"Red Rocks is almost certain to run in the Turf," said Jamie McAlmont, owner Paul Reddam's racing manager. "He is training really well at the minute and I think he goes there with a good chance.

"It didn't work in America. He wanted to do it in his last race [at Ascot], he was just short.

"The form hasn't worked out that bad in that race. This will be his last race and Brian is training him for the Turf."

Red Rocks won the Turfat Churchill Downs and finished third the following year at Monmouth Park, but beat only one other horse a year ago when he was under the care of Mark Hennig.

McCalmont added: "The most important thing for us is the pace. In the race at Churchill and the race at Belmont, they went six furlongs in 1m 11 secs, the quick early pace is what helps Red Rocks in America because he can get into a rhythm.

"Going for a fourth Breeders' Cup is a testament to any horse, especially after as hard a three-year-old campaign as he had. It says a lot for the horse and the people at Manton.

"We hope to get his breeding rights sold before the Breeders' Cup, if not he goes to be sold at Fasig-Tipton on the Tuesday after the race."

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Good to see the old guy still at it. I actually had him in 2006, i believe @ 9/1 if memory serves. He had previously run a close second (at the BC Turf distance) to Rail Link, the horse who went on to beat Deep Impact in the Arc, and he was turning back in distance out of the St. Leger so you knew he was gonna be dead-fit. He's a bit long in the tooth these days, but stranger things have happened.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited October 2009
    That reminds me, fantastic race. Not sure i've ever posted it here. The Japanese superhorse Deep Impact is in the yellow, blue, and black silks racing along the rail in the early going, then switches to the outside. The second-place finisher was the filly Pride, just another example of how fillies are not necessarily outclassed by males at the highest levels. I believe Pride went on to win the Champion Stakes a few weeks later, btw.

YouTube - Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe 2006