Horse of the year debate?

RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
edited November 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Hard to pick between Rachel and Zenyatta. It is a shame they never raced.

What is your vote?

Comments

• KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    Zenyatta:thumbup:

RA is a tough cookie but Zenyatta FLAWLESS:basketball:
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    i was one of the 58,000 at the track....i saw grown men crying.....THE QUEEN..... ZENYATTA .....ALL THE WAY!!!
  • ballcoachballcoach Member
    edited November 2009
    zenyatta....performed on the biggest stage , against the worlds best, not just some of the usa's supposed best!
  • RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited November 2009
    There should be a Dirt horse of the year and a Synthetic horse of the year.
  • bid1001bid1001 Junior Member
    edited November 2009
    rachael would win.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited November 2009
    I think Zenyatta is better. And i think she proved that yesterday.
  • avowelavowel Junior Member
    edited November 2009
    not sure you are mainly Americans or other, but this is what I posted on ESPN sports on your (I am Canadian) Horse of the Year "HOTY" Debate: not saying anyone here is debating it as "nasty" as others in other forums are, but this is crazy taking shots at either horse to be honest. (again I am an outsider looking in being a Canadian) se below :clap:

This is coming from a Canadian, who has a unbiased opinion where Rachel and Zenyatta are concerned; Not trying to be disrespectful, but I am mind boggled that some of you folks would even want to try and diminish what just happened in the "worlds" premier event?
    Come on folks, lets be realistic here; yes, both are champion race horses, exactly what the sport needed! But the common argument I hear from my American friends in favor of Rachel is she beat the winner of the Ky Derby, Travers, Belmont, jcky Cb gold cup etc.. on 3 different occasions? That is great, and outstanding accomplishment for any race horse, no doubt; but you would expect nothing less from a "yearly" champion, am I wrong? We are talking about her as if she is on par with Secretariat? If it had been some other three year colt who won those same races, would he be considered one of the greatest? Let's put it in perspective, she won a single leg of your triple crown, and was life and death to do it. Many 3 year olds have done that over the years. There is even a very good chance had Smith got a better trip, Mine that Bird would have caught her.

Take it from an unbiased Canadian, who really does not care who wins your HOTY honors.

Appreciate what you have in Zenyatta this year, and don't blemish this accomplishment with talk of "she is number 2"? She is truly one of the best of "All TIME" with this win <vs> Rachel who is one of the best of this year....
    Consider who Zen beat, and how she did it. Poor start, way back of the of the Best horses the world could offer, and at the top of the stretch when she looked dead on the inside, she barges to outside and runs them down literally within seconds. All I can say is I have not seen anything like that, ever. And if you want to make the argument who did she beat? Well, how about your nations top Turfer/older horse and winner of "4" grade 1's this year. The winner of the Ky Derby, the winner of the Belmont, jky gold cup, Travers winner from BOTH 08 & 09 and the best Europe could offer in Van Winkle (won 2 Group 1's) , not forgetting Twice Over (won a Group 1)...Oh yeh, don't forget last year's S/A Derby winner thrown in for good measure. total Grade/group 1's in field-13 I Believe)AND all in one race to boot! Who is MAcho Again anyway?

If there is still question, one more thing you may want to look at..check out Z's final splits, specially the last 1/4 and 1/8th (final furlong) A wise handicapper some of you may remember known as Pittsburg Bill once said..always bet a horse that can run the final 1/4 in 23 seconds or faster. Z was way back of the 1 mile spilt of 1:36 1/5 (some 7-10?? lengths =aprox 1:38+) and crosses in 200 2/5...well you do the math...by the way, how fast did Secretariat run his final 1/4 mile in the Belmont?

Man...I wish we had something like this to debate in Canada.....I think some of you folks are just spoiled, what luxury to have! I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to belittle the accomplishments observed in Z's performances of not only this year, but last year as well. What an exciting and truely great race horse, right down to her body language both pre and post race! I am sorry to see her retire, and I am not even from the same country! Looking at the facts..it is really a no-brainer.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited November 2009
    I agree, i think Zenyatta has proven more than Rachel, and has done it over a longer period of time.
  • DanipDanip Member
    edited November 2009
    Zenyatta won the Cup, but even that, IMO will no sway the voters who saw a three year old filly beat both Derby and Belmont winner, then came back to become the first filly of any age to win the Woodward. RA's total Year resume holds more than one big race, and voters, I think will go with the horse who had the harder, more strenuous season.