Gary Stevens adds a big horse to his stable

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited November 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Perhaps not surprising that he would start getting some horses from IEAH, as he worked for them as a consultant before becoming a trainer (and maybe still does, i don't know).

from Brisnet:

Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens, who never won the prestigious Matriarch S. (G1) as a rider, will try to win the test as a trainer with DIAMONDRELLA (GB) (Rock of Gibraltar [Ire]) on November 28 at Hollywood Park. The Grade 1-winning five-year-old was an unexpected addition last week to the Santa Anita barn of Stevens, who began training in May.

"I got a surprise call early Thursday morning," Stevens said Sunday from Santa Anita. "Michael (Iavarone, head of owner IEAH Stables) informed me that she was coming. It was a big confidence booster."

Diamondrella was shipped to Kentucky for the Fasig-Tipton Sale after finishing 11th in the Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint at Santa Anita on November 7, but was bought back by IEAH for $1.1 million and flown back to California by way of Indianapolis early Friday morning.

The bay mare, based in New York most of the year, enjoyed a banner campaign under previous trainer Angel Penna Jr., winning three of five starts, including two Grade 1 races --the Just a Game S. at Belmont and the First Lady S. at Keeneland. Both victories were at one mile on turf, the same distance as the Matriarch. Career-wise, the English-bred has won eight of 18 starts and earned $784,576.

"The Matriarch is the target," said Stevens, who plans to supplement the mare for $6,000. "She showed up in great shape. Angel did a great job with her. I just walked her this morning."

The Matriarch was one of the few major stakes in Southern California that eluded Stevens as a jockey. He finished second twice behind champion Flawlessly, with Fire the Groom in 1991 and Toussaud in 1993.

Diamondrella's toughest competition is expected from multiple Grade 1 winner VENTURA (Chester House), who captured the Woodbine Mile (Can-G1) over the boys and finished second in the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint (G1) in her last two. The Bobby Frankel-trained five-year-old will be ridden by Garrett Gomez. Other probable starters include last-out Las Palmas H. (G2) queen TUSCAN EVENING (Ire) (Oasis Dream [GB]), Grade 1 heroine RUTHERIENNE (Pulpit) and Harold C. Ramser Sr. H. (G3) victress APRIL PRIDE (GB) (Falbrav [Ire]).