Bobby Frankel has one horse entered today...

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited November 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
...and she's likely going straight to the front.

What do you guys think will happen here? A tip-of-the-hat to Mr. Frankel, perhaps?

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Life By RR wins. Had a feeling she might.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited November 2009
    from Hollywood Park:

INGLEWOOD, Calif. (Nov. 18, 2009) — Life by R R, the last horse entered in the name of the late Hall of Fame trainer Bobby Frankel, scored a front-running victory under Alex Solis on Wednesday afternoon at Hollywood Park.

She was saddled and officially ran in the name of Frankel’s assistant of more than 30 years, the well-respected Humberto Ascanio.

Life by R R was entered on Sunday. Frankel, 68, passed away due to complications from lymphoma early Monday morning.

World renowned for developing many of the sport’s best horses the last two decades, the native of Brooklyn was known as the “King of the Claimers” early in his career of more than 40 years. Ironically, Life by R R was claimed for a partnership by trainer Doug O’Neill for $25,000.

Ascanio, who has saddled several winners in his own name, saddled many on behalf of his boss over the last three decades.

“I’m gonna miss him, he was a good person,” Ascanio said. “I’m not Bobby, but I learned a lot from him. It was a long run. He made my life better — he made sure all my family is okay. All his help . . . he made sure everybody around him had a good life. He’ll be missed.”

Life by R R, a 3-year-old chestnut filly, covered 6 ½ furlongs in 1:16.27 while winning for the second time in nine starts. She paid $5 as the 3-2 betting favorite.

In the day’s $40,000 feature, John and Cheryl Toffan’s Asanti moved to the lead at the top of the stretch and hung on to win by a half-length under Garrett Gomez. The victory was her third in seven 2009 starts.

Asanti is a daughter of Skimming, a horse Frankel trained and Gomez rode to win consecutive runnings of the Pacific Classic in 2000 and 2001 at Del Mar.