Long-time Frankel assitant Ascanio strikes out on his own

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited November 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Hollywood Park:

Humberto Ascanio, indispensable assistant to the late trainer Bobby Frankel for 35 years, was in charge of the 30-horse stable in Barn 70 North at Hollywood Park Thursday, that familiar morning phone call no longer there since the death of the Hall of Fame legend Monday at age 68.

Ascanio, who sent out Life by R R to win a $25,000 claiming race here Wednesday, said three nominees for the Turf Festival Nov. 27-29 remain on target for the grass bonanza that Frankel dominated with 17 victories, 11 more than his nearest rival.

Ascanio said both Proudinsky and Fluke would be entered in the $300,000 Citation Handicap Nov. 27 and Ventura would make the final start of her career in the $300,000 Matriarch on Nov. 28.

The Citation and Matriarch are two of three Grade I Festival races that will conclude with the $300,000 Hollywood Derby on Nov. 29. The five-race Festival also includes the $100,000 Generous Stakes on Nov. 28 and the $100,000 Miesque Stakes Nov. 29, both for 2-year-olds.

Ascanio said Ventura would work Friday in quest of her fourth Grade I stakes victory in a race Frankel won a record eight times. The 5-year-old Juddmonte Farms homebred mare will be ridden by Garrett Gomez in the mile test for fillies and mares.

Proudinsky and Fluke are both scheduled to work Saturday for the Citation at 1 1/16 miles, according to Ascanio. Proudinsky, a multiple Grade II stakes winner, seeks his first Grade I victory in his third Citation start. The 6-year-old German-bred horse finished third and fourth, respectively, the past two years. Fluke, a Brazilian-bred 4-year-old colt, seeks his first stakes victory in the United States.

Ascanio said the Juddmonte horses that formed the backbone of the Frankel stable the past two decades will stay with him until the end of the year, when a decision will be made whether they remain. He added that several trainees Frankel owned will be sold.

Ascanio said Life by R R was the first winner he saddled under his name in many years. “In the late ‘80s, Bobby sent me a few of his extra horses to train on my own, and I won a few races,” recalled Ascanio. “But then his stable grew, and things got too busy for me as an assistant to train any more on my own.”