Good article on early Derby contender Buddy's Saint

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited December 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from The Saratogian:

I thought it was the best performance by a juvenile male this year.

Buddy’s Saint rolled to a powerful victory in the Remsen Stakes at Aqueduct on Saturday, establishing himself as one of the early favorites for next year’s classics.

The GradeII Remsen, worth $200,000 at 1 1/8 miles, was run for the 96th time.

It is a race intertwined with the Triple Crown the following season.

Owned by Kingfield Stables and trained by Bruce Levine, Buddy’s Saint cruised behind the early leaders in the Remsen.

Approaching the stretch turn, he went three wide and effortlessly took command with his powerful strides to draw off by nearly five lengths.

“I don’t think you’ve seen the best of him yet,” said Levine. “Believe me, I wouldn’t trade places with anyone in America.”

Buddy’s Saint paid $3.50 and sent his career earnings to $218,600 with a record of 2-1-0 in three starts.

He has finished first in all three, but was disqualified in his career debut for bumping his rival in the stretch.

In his previous start, Buddys’ Saint won the Grade III Nashua Stakes just three weeks ago, getting the mile in a terrific 1:35 3/5 while winning by a dozen lengths.

Levine was worried that he was coming back too soon after such a brilliant effort, which gained him the highest Beyer Speed Figure for the Nashua since those figures were instituted in 1990.

The big, muscular son of Saint Liam took care of the worry with a relaxed manner for the first six furlongs before jockey Jose Lezcano called on him.

His sire, winner of the Breeders’ Cup Classic and Woodward, and Horse of the Year in 2005, died in 2006 after serving at stud for just one year.

Buddy’s Saint is out of Tuzia, by Blushing John.

Tuzia finished second in the Grade I Personal Ensign Handicap at Saratoga going 10 furlongs.

She is a half-sister to multiple graded stakes winner Midway Road, who finished second in the Preakness Stakes and Pimlico Special.

It is a very solid pedigree, which was on display in the demanding nine furlongs of the Remsen.

Begun in 1904, the Remsen has been won by Hall of Fame runners Grey Lag (1920), Carry Back (1960), Northern Dancer (1963) and Damascus (1966)

More recently, Kentucky Derby winners Go For Gin (1993) and Thunder Gulch (1994) have won the event.

Levine, known for his intense love of the game and constant studying of the thoroughbred, has been a top New York trainer since going out on his own in 1979.

He was with the very first group of trainers to use the Oklahoma Training Track when it opened for off-season training in 1980.

Levine’s other top stakes winners include Bustin Stones, Coyote Lakes, Restored Hope, and Koluctoo’s Jill.

Comments

• cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited November 2009
    He was impressive and should be at the top of the list. At the top of my list and watching is Baffert's Bulldogger. He got hurt after his impressive maiden race in New York. They shipped him back to the Westcoast and on Nov. 29th worked out a 3f in 36 flat handily. SWEET
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    Well we will get to see Buddy's Saint against Winslow Homer if the both make it in the gate for the Holy Bull. It just might be the years of the Saints. I will contact the Earnhardts on the staus of Bulldogger for you and what route the are looking for him.

fb
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    cinfront wrote: »
    He was impressive and should be at the top of the list. At the top of my list and watching is Baffert's Bulldogger. He got hurt after his impressive maiden race in New York. They shipped him back to the Westcoast and on Nov. 29th worked out a 3f in 36 flat handily. SWEET

Bulldogger won't run for another couple months, just heard back. Had a tendon issue.

fb
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Injuries are tough. Even an early one can potentially knock a horse out of Derby contention. There was a Sadler colt named Samardo that i was extremely high on after his debut (he ran third behind Tiny Woods), but he suffered some kind of injury thereafter, and hasn't even recorded a workout in the past few months.