Anthony Dutrow to handle the Fox Hill Farm horses

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited December 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
FB probably already knows about this, but here you go...

from Delaware Online:

Anthony Dutrow might not be as widely known as his father and brother, but Rick Porter knows him.

The Fox Hill Farms owner has hired Dutrow to replace Larry Jones, who has retired.

"He fits the program of Fox Hill Farms perfectly," Porter said. "In choosing a new No. 1 trainer, I checked around and everyone spoke highly of Tony. I've known Tony for a while and he's a no-nonsense trainer."

Dutrow's father, Richard Dutrow Sr.,was one of the "Big Four" in Maryland racing in the 1960s and 70s. His brother, Richard Dutrow Jr., trained 2008 Kentucky Derby and Preakness champion Big Brown.

Anthony Dutrow, 51, has impressive credentials working with 2- and 3-year-old horses in Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New York.

Three standout stakes winners Dutrow has this year are Seattle Smooth, Smart and Fancy and Cat Moves. In addition to Porter, Dutrow trains regularly for Edward Evans, Mercedes Stables, Park Avenue Racing and Michael Dubb.

In the 2009 Delaware Park meet, Dutrow had 26 wins, 23 seconds, 11 thirds and purse earnings of $798,460 from 96 starts.

"I believe Rick Porter and I will have a fantastic relationship," said Dutrow, who will have 20-25
Fox Hill Farm horses normally in training. "Rick is a seasoned veteran and very aware of all that horse racing has to offer, both the good and the bad. He has always treated me with great respect and support."

Porter has the reputation, and won't deny it, that he can become a little demanding with trainers who work for him. Dutrow, who is relatively quiet and laid back, has no problems with that.

"I think Rick Porter and I are a lot alike. I really do," said Dutrow, whose first career win as a trainer came at Delaware Park with a horse named Attainable. "They say Rick is demanding.

Well, I'm demanding in that I want the best out of the horses I'm training for Rick and every other owner I work for. We also are not afraid to speak up for ourselves."

Tony Dutrow started learning from and working for his father at the age of 10. Dick Dutrow Sr., who died in 1999, posted 3,665 career wins. The only other trainer Tony Dutrow worked for was Hall of Fame conditioner Bobby Frankel, who died last month at the age of 68.

"There's not a doubt in the world that Bobby is one of the best ever," said Dutrow. "Another thing is the way he did it and the way he treated his help. He was first-class all the way."

The way Dutrow has handled young horses over the years was a selling point for Porter, who wants to win on the national level. His No. 1 goal is to win the Kentucky Derby. He was second with Hard Spun in 2007 and with the late Eight Belles in 2008.

For Porter, Dutrow is starting to have some success with 2-year-olds Winslow Homer and Shellback.

"Tony and I are both very anxious to get a good 3-year-old to the big dance next spring," Porter said. "I have a couple 2-year-olds who have that potential. I'm hoping at least one of them can get us back there. My intention is to have a competitive horse in the Derby for a fourth straight year.

"No matter what happens in that regard, I know I have the right man to be our lead trainer for Fox Hill Farms."