Michael Veitch profiles a few "under the radar" Derby prospects

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited December 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from The Saratogian:

With the start of the 2010 classics campaign on the horizon, Lookin At Lucky, Vale of York, Buddy’s Saint, D’Funnybone and Super Saver command the most attention as leaders of the division.

But each year at this juncture, there are many late-developing youngsters who have shown promise off recent maiden wins at major tracks.

They have yet to start in graded stakes, but in the coming weeks will be pointed for races like the Florida Derby, Louisiana Derby, Santa Anita Derby and Arkansas Derby to test their worthiness for the Triple Crown.

Following is a chronological look at several, who are not well-known today, but who could blossom over the winter and be stars next year.

In this same column last December were Quality Road, who went on to win the Florida Derby, and gradedstakes winner Haynsefield.

SIDNEY's CANDY

This son of Candy Ride broke his maiden on Aug. 22 at Del Mar over a well-regarded field.

He is owned by Sid and Jenny Craig Trust and trained by John Sadler.

He is by the unbeaten Candy Ride, the hot young sire who won the Grade I Pacific Classic.

Sidney’s Candy is out of the Storm Cat mare Fair Exchange, whose mother Exchange won the Grade I Matriarch at 10 furlongs and the Grade II Orchid at 12 furlongs.

MIDDLE OF THE NITE

Broke his maiden on Oct. 10 at Belmont Park for owner West Point Thoroughbreds and trainer Tom Albertrani.

He is by first-crop sire Offlee Wild, winner of the Grade I Suburban Handicap.

Middle of the Nite’s dam is A Loose Kisser, by Kissin Kris.

She descends from the champion Misty Morn, whose offspring included the good sire What A Pleasure, winner of the Hopeful Stakes.

MOOJAB

Owned by Shadwell Stable and trained by Dan Peitz, he rallied strongly at Aqueduct on Oct. 31.

He is a son of champion Smarty Jones.

Moojab is out of Rebridled’s Dream, a stakes winning daughter of leading sire Unbridled’s Song.

SOLDIER FIELD

One of two on this list trained by Bill Mott.

He broke his maiden at Churchill Downs on Nov. 14 and is owned by WinStar Farm.

Soldier Field is a son of the popular More Than Ready, winner of the Grade I King’s Bishop at Saratoga.

He is out of Fantastic Caroline, by Fantastic Fellow, a family that includes turf champion Sunshine Forever, who excelled at 12 furlongs.

DROSSELMEYER

Also from WinStar and Mott, and a winner at Churchill Downs on Nov. 18.

Drosselmeyer is a son of one of the tremendous Distorted Humor, whose Grade I winners include Funny Cide, Flower Alley, Commentator and Any Given Saturday.

His mother Golden Ballet won the Santa Anita Oaks and Las Virgenes, both Grade 1 races.

TAKE TURNS

Morris Nicks trains this son of the venerable Seeking the Gold for Pin Oak Stud.

He broke his maiden at Fair Grounds on Nov. 22.

Seeking the Gold is the sire of Dubai Millenium, Heavenly Prize, Jazil and Flanders.

Take Turns is out of the stakes winning Seattle Slew mare Alternate, who is a half-sister to millionaire Peaks and Valleys, winner of the Molson Million, Meadowlands Cup and Illinois Derby.

WOW WOW WOW

Owned by Marylou Whitney Stable and trained by D. Wayne Lukas, he broke his maiden on Nov. 28 at Fair Grounds.

He is by Broken Vow, winner of the Grade I Iselin Handicap and sire of Beldame Stakes winner Unbridled Belle.

Wow Wow Wow is out of Caged Glory, by Honour and Glory, and her immediate family includes Birdstone and Bird Town.

In other words, this is a “now” family, as Birdstone is the sire Mine That Bird and Summer Bird.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Sidney's Candy was injured last i heard, but i just checked his worktab, and he is indeed back in training now.