Bill Mott to take over the Juddmonte horses; will have a barn @ Santa Anita

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
from DRF:

INGLEWOOD, Calif. - Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott will have a stable of approximately 12 horses in Southern California beginning next month, including an undetermined number from Khalid Abdullah's Juddmonte Farms.

Mott said on Friday that he will decide which horses will be sent to California after Christmas. The stable will be based at Santa Anita.

"We've just got a couple of horses for the stakes and we're trying to get it together," Mott said. "I'll pick up a few of the Juddmonte horses after Christmas."

Juddmonte Farms had horses with the late Hall of Fame trainer Bobby Frankel until his death last month. In recent weeks, the California-based Juddmonte runners have started for Frankel's former assistant, Humberto Ascanio.

Juddmonte manager Garrett O'Rourke said on Friday that Mott will train the majority of the stable's runners in the United States in 2010, and that Ascanio will train Midships, the multiple stakes winner on turf. Midships, trained by Frankel earlier this year, is expected to return to training in early 2010.

"Bill Mott will be our number-one trainer," said O'Rourke. He added that Juddmonte is "down to a pretty small string already" in the United States.

O'Rourke said Mott will decide where the Juddmonte runners will be based.

"It's up to Bill," O'Rourke said. "Bobby didn't operate under any rules. Billy won't be asked to, either. If the horses are better suited to different tracks or different surfaces, he's the boss."

The horses Mott sends to California will be the first long-term involvement for his stable at a Santa Anita winter meeting. "I've never been out there other than to ship in and out," he said.

In the late 1990s, Mott had a division at Del Mar, directed by Simon Bray, but those horses did not stay in California on a year-round basis. Mott said on Friday there is a possibility he could keep horses in California after the Santa Anita winter-spring meeting, which runs from Saturday through April 18.

"It's possible we'll keep a presence out there for more than this meeting," he said. "We have to play it by ear. It depends on how we do and what we've got left. I'm not looking to send a 40-horse stable. We'd like to accommodate horses that fit in the program."

Any addition from a leading stable such as Mott's would be a boost for California racing, which is suffering from an acute shortage of horses because of a poor economy, and the loss of some horses to tracks on the East Coast, such as Philadelphia Park, which has purses enhanced by slot machine revenue.

Last week, trainer Doug O'Neill said he has 50 horses in California and 30 at Philadelphia Park. A few years ago, O'Neill had more than 100 horses in training in Southern California.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Really a slap in the face to Humberto Ascanio, i think. Especially as well as that guy has done in Frankel's absence. He's been on fire.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited December 2009
    You guys may have noticed Ascanio running Juddmonte horses @ Santa Anita. I was wondering if they had changed their mind, or what? Apparently the transfer to Mott is still in progress, according to this piece on the Santa Anita website:

The New Year marks a new beginning for Humberto Ascanio. It will be the first time he has not shared nearly every working hour with a man who was his trusted mentor and loyal friend, Hall of Fame trainer Bobby Frankel, who died Nov. 16 at the age of 68.

The 63-year-old Ascanio was Frankel’s faithful confidante and assistant for 36 years, more than half his life. Together, they reached racing’s heights, establishing records few ever reach. Among Frankel’s many records are 917 career victories at Santa Anita.

Ascanio has moved on despite losing blueblood horses from Frankel’s long-time major client, Juddmonte Farms, who sent the majority of their horses to Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott. Ever the class act, Ascanio had nothing but praise for Juddmonte.

“I still have about 10 horses,” Ascanio said from his Hollywood Park base. “I’m OK; I’m fine, I’m happy. Juddmonte has been real good to me. I can’t complain. In fact, next month they’re going to send me Midships, who I won three stakes with (including the San Juan Capistrano last April).

“Juddmonte has been wonderful over the years and they’ve really helped me. They’re real fine people. I couldn’t ask for any more. They helped me through the end of the year, and I understand their moving some horses elsewhere. But like I say, they’re sending me Midships, and hopefully, that will open the door for them to send me more.

“I know I won’t have the same kind of horses as before, but I’m confident everything will be all right. I have a couple of nice horses and still have some other owners who are supporting me.” Ascanio has also received positive reviews from the media, who recognized his understated contribution to Frankel’s success. “I’m real appreciative of that,” Ascanio said. “They’ve given me a great vote of confidence and I thank them very much.”

Ascanio had ample opportunity to express his gratitude to Frankel during the months as death approached, although they rarely expressed exuberance publicly. “The good thing was, Ventura won the Matriarch in her final race, and Bobby wanted her to do that,” Ascanio said. “He wanted to make sure she went out a winner.”

She did, and so did Frankel. Ascanio is likely to have the same legacy.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    The rich keep getting richer.

Bobby B. will run the NEW Juddmonte West Coast team. They got some nice ones, too.