Quotes and video from the CashCal Futuritry

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited December 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Hollywood Park:

Video

YouTube - Baffert Caps Four-Win Day With Record Fifth Futurity Victory

Jockey Quotes

GARRETT GOMEZ, LOOKIN AT LUCKY, Winner: “I’ve always known he was versatile and could do whatever we want with him. He did everything good today. He was traveling super easy when we turned for home. He just waits on horses and only does as much as he has to. When I turned for home he quickened for about 100 yards then went into relax mode. It always looks like he’s stretched to win, but that’s not the case. He’s going to learn more as he goes along because he’s got a super mind to him. We’ve got to get him to where he puts his competition away and sprints to the wire. He’s full of talent and I’m getting even more excited about him.”

RAFAEL BEJARANO, NOBLE’S PROMISE, Second: “The horse did very well. From where he was drawn, I tried to get him comfortable early. My horse came running to the end, he never quit. The other horse (Lookin At Lucky) just had a better post and that really helped him. I know I can beat him next time.”

MIKE SMITH, MAKE MUSIC FOR ME, Third: “He ran dynamite. I thought he ran great…I was very, very pleased. I loved the way he galloped out. There’s certainly more to him.”
Trainer Quotes

BOB BAFFERT, LOOKIN AT LUCKY, Winner, THE PROGRAM, fourth, MARCELLO, fifth: “A hell of a day, huh? It’s nice to have young horses. He ran a little bit different. He put him into the race this time, put him in the pace. That’s good for him. He didn’t have to do a lot. He just sat there, cruised around there. You could tell he was in a good spot. He wanted to get a little tough early, but then he backed him off, which was good. That’s probably his best race. He’s getting better and better.

“I just wish he had the one-post in the Breeders’ Cup, but that’s racing. Things happen. I wish the other horse (The Program) would have hung on for third. He ran a good race, he’s getting better. The other horse, Marcello, I think he wants turf.

“So we’re just gonna freshen him up and I’ll probably run him about two times before (the Kentucky Derby). I don’t know (where), I haven’t figured it out. He might ship out, I don’t know. Either go to Oaklawn Park, New York, you never know . . . But I’ve got a lot of nice horses, I’ve got to spread them all out. We’re gonna keep running them, you’ve got to make some money where they get (eligibility for the Derby).

“That Tiz Chrome, he’s a pretty serious horse. I like the way he ran. And the other one, Clutch Player, he’s gonna run two turns. So it’s good to be in this spot, but you need a lot of bullets in this game. You never get too excited.”

NOTES: The win was a record fifth in the Futurity for trainer Bob Baffert. The others: Real Quiet (1997), Captain Steve (1999), Point Given (2000) and Pioneerof The Nile (2008) . . . Baffert saddled four winners on the program. All came in 2-year-old races: Quiet Invader in the second, Tiz Chrome in the fourth (Stuka Stakes), Clutch Player n the seventh and Lookin At Lucky in the ninth (Futurity) . . . It was the Hall of Fame trainer’s first four-win day at Hollywood Park. He saddled three winners on Nov. 24, 2001 . . . The win payoff of $2.60 on Lookin At Lucky matched the Futurity record low set by Point Given in 2,000.