Baffert comments on his up-and-coming 3yo's

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

And so a new year begins with the usual fireworks and optimism. In racing, optimism generally follows fireworks, which is to say it’s based on a talented young horse that has set off some sparklers as a sign of potential. And by that measure, nobody has more reason to be optimistic than Bob Baffert.

He has in his barn, by his own count, eight exceptionally talented young horses who turn 3 today. In other words, he has at least eight Triple Crown candidates.

Most trainers would become giddy just contemplating the possibilities. But Baffert has traveled this road many times — he has won three Kentucky Derbies, with two seconds and two thirds in America’s most famous race — and so he’s not making his travel plans just yet.

"They’re all very talented," Baffert said about his newly turned 3-year-olds. "It’s a great position to be in. But there are so many things that can happen, and they’re all still learning how to run. We won’t really know until March [who the Derby horses might be]."

Foremost among them, of course, is Lookin At Lucky, who’s almost certain to be named the champion 2-year-old of 2009. He wrapped up his juvenile campaign, and his championship, with a victory in the recent CashCall Futurity.

"He’s our Peyton Manning," Baffert said. "We’re taking him out of the game now, to freshen him."

Lookin At Lucky won five of his six outings last year, his only loss a runner-up finish in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile, where he had a rough trip. And so he already has experience around two turns and in large fields. He probably won’t return until March.

But "the bench is very deep," Baffert said, referring to such horses as Conveyance, Tiz Chrome, Take Control, Concord Point, Clutch Player, Bulldogger and Tiny Woods.

"Conveyance is very fast," Baffert said about the son of Indian Charlie who has won both his races, the most recent by seven lengths. "He has a lot of speed and looks like he’s going to be one of those horses who go to the lead and dare you to catch them."

Conveyance will make his seasonal and stakes debut Jan. 16 in the San Rafael at Santa Anita, Baffert said.

"Tiz Chrome reminds me of Silver Charm," Baffert said, comparing the unbeaten winner of the Stuka Stakes to the 1997 Kentucky Derby winner. "He’s very laid back. But when he gets into the starting gate, he becomes a different horse."

Bulldogger won his debut by more than six lengths at Saratoga and is training well, Baffert said, for his return. Concord Point won his debut opening day at Santa Anita. Another debut winner, Clutch Player, is going to be a "really nice horse," Baffert said, when he races around two turns, but he’ll have to wait because he spiked a temperature this week.

Tiny Woods won a sprint Wednesday at Santa Anita, where Take Control rallied from last with a sforzando move to win his debut. A $1.9 million purchase, Take Control is by a Horse of the Year (A.P. Indy) and out of a Horse of the Year (Azeri).

"That was raw talent," Baffert said about Take Control’s victory. "He could be really, really good."

Aside from keeping them all healthy, the biggest challenge could be keeping the prospects apart. Although he hasn’t made any travel plans just yet, Baffert said the promising 3-year-olds will indeed travel, possibly to New Mexico, Louisiana and Arkansas, as they advance on the Triple Crown.

And despite all the sparklers, Baffert has his optimism under control. He said he isn’t going to push the prospects to Kentucky but rather will let them take him there. He isn’t going to succumb to spring fever, not until the spring anyway.

Comments

• RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited January 2010
    Take Control rallied from last with a sforzando move to win his debut. A $1.9 million purchase, Take Control is by a Horse of the Year (A.P. Indy) and out of a Horse of the Year (Azeri).

"That was raw talent," Baffert said about Take Control’s victory. "He could be really, really good."

That sure was impressive. The horse looked well beaten multiple times in the race. Didn't get going until very late and won easy. Galloped out by what seemed like double digits.

Here is the replay for anyone who missed it: YouTube - Take Control - 2009 Santa Anita Maiden Race

DC, is it too soon to look for Derby future book odds on this horse?
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2010
    That's the first thing I did after the race, Ed. Unfortunately, he was unlisted at all three of the Vegas books who have futures up (Wynn, Lucky's, and Venetian). I probably could've gotten him added on @ Wynn, but over the last few years I've come to find that it's better to wait and let Avello add the horse on his own. Whenever I ask to have one added, he tends to lowball me. Unfortunately, this horse has received a good bit of publicity since the race (I've seen at least 4 articles not counting the one above), so I'm expecting he'll be added at a ridiculously short number. As soon as I see him listed somewhere, I'll report back here. Good chance he's already in the Wynn computer system, but they only publish new sheets once a week. Should be visible early next week, I think.
    edited January 2010
    RightAngle wrote: »
    That sure was impressive. The horse looked well beaten multiple times in the race. Didn't get going until very late and won easy. Galloped out by what seemed like double digits.

Here is the replay for anyone who missed it: YouTube - Take Control - 2009 Santa Anita Maiden Race

DC, is it too soon to look for Derby future book odds on this horse?

I went down to Lucky's today, and they had a new Derby sheet published. It was dated 12/30, and obviously published in the evening (or perhaps even the following day) because it definitely wasn't there after Wednesday afternoon's race. The new sheet lists Take Control @ 85/1. But when i went to the window to check on the price, it came up @ 20/1. Completely ridiculous, of course. Even 85/1 would be pretty marginal with 4 months to go, and a grand total of one race under his belt (good as he looked).
  • RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the update. A friend was able to find 60-1 at Hilton.
    edited January 2010
    I wasn't even aware they had Derby futures yet. Good to know.