Take Control to run next in an allowance race

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
from Brisnet:

Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert, who is off to a flying start in pursuit of his ninth Santa Anita training title after winning with eight of his first 21 starters at the meet that began December 26, recently discussed plans for two of his leading three-year-old colts.

Baffert's leading Triple Crown candidate is Kentucky Derby Future Book favorite and Eclipse Award contender LOOKIN AT LUCKY (Smart Strike), but he soon could be joined in the spotlight by an impeccably-bred colt named TAKE CONTROL (A.P. Indy).

By 1992 Horse of the Year A.P. Indy, Take Control is the first foal out of 2002 Horse of the Year Azeri (Jade Hunter). Take Control rallied from last in his debut race at one mile on December 30 to win by a length and a half under Martin Garcia. Despite his championship bloodlines, the chestnut colt went off at a relatively generous 5-2, perhaps because Baffert was on record that Take Control would need an outing before showing his best form.

"He needed a race," Baffert confirmed Saturday morning at Clockers' Corner. "He ran green, but we were hoping he would run like we thought he could . He'd been working well with nice horses, but I didn't want to run him short because he would have got nothing out of it."

Lookin at Lucky earned his first Grade 1 score in the Del Mar Futurity.

Take Control, owned by Kaleem Shah of Vienna, Virginia, is expected to go through conditions before testing stakes waters.

"We'll run him in non-winners (allowance)," Baffert said. "It's sort of tough moving up too fast, but at least I snuck in a two-year-old race for him (to hopefully thwart a long-standing 'jinx' against horses that have not started at two winning the Run for the Roses)."

As for Lookin at Lucky, who was an eventful second in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile (G1) before winning the CashCall Futurity (G1) at Hollywood Park last month, he could make his three-year-old debut in the March 13 San Felipe Stakes (G2).

"He's just training, and I'm not going to commit to anything right now," Baffert said. "If I run him, it will be in March, maybe in the San Felipe."