Lookin at Lucky to add blinkers; will have only two Derby preps

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
from Daily Racing Form:

ARCADIA, Calif. - As good as Lookin at Lucky is, trainer Bob Baffert and jockey Garrett Gomez believe he can be better, and they think blinkers are the key. Lookin at Lucky worked in blinkers for the first time Saturday at Santa Anita and went so well that he likely will now use them as he moves on to the Kentucky Derby.

"He went very well," Baffert said of the half-mile drill in 47.40 seconds. "Garrett came back smiling. He said he found an extra gear. Usually, he starts to shut it down after he gets past a workmate. And the nice thing is he didn't get rank. He sat behind and didn't get rank."

Baffert must get the equipment change approved by the stewards. In years past, it was difficult for a trainer to change blinkers after a victory, but stewards now commonly approve the change.

Baffert said Lookin at Lucky, who comes off a victory in the CashCall Futurity, will likely have two preps for the May 1 Kentucky Derby, beginning with the Grade 2, $150,000 San Felipe Stakes at Santa Anita on March 13.

"I think he just needs two," Baffert said.

Comments

• RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited January 2010
    DC, I saw that Take Control worked on Jan 10th also. Let me know if you see any reports on his work. Thanks.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    JS: From the conversations I've seen and quotes I've read, you have thrown out two Derby preps for him. You mentioned the San Felipe and possibly shipping him out of California to try dirt. Can you tell me what your line of thinking is as of now?

BB: Well, I had Pioneerof the Nile last year and he stayed in California and raced well in the Derby. I think this horse will like dirt better but I don't know. It's still early. I don't like to write anything in stone in January.

JS: Fair enough. But if I pressed you now, which way would you say you're leaning?

BB: If I had to say now, I'd say I was leaning toward the San Felipe and then if I shipped him, my first choice would be Fair Grounds (for the Louisiana Derby). But that track can by gimmicky sometimes. It's hard to know if he'll like it.
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    maybe oaklawn?
    edited January 2010
    I just don't see Baffert coming to Oaklawn. I will be real suprised at that.

fb
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2010
    It's a long time from the La Derby to the Derby, and of course Fresian Fire didn't fare too well when attempting it last year (for whatever reason). I would think Baffert would like to prep him a bit closer to the race, but who knows.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    Bulldogger is my joice. He's been working out very nicely and romp at Saratoga with Johnny V. Can't wait for his return with added distance.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2010
    cinfront wrote: »
    Bulldogger is my joice. He's been working out very nicely and romp at Saratoga with Johnny V. Can't wait for his return with added distance.

Here's his worktab from Daily Racing Form:

Bulldogger

01/10/2010 SA 5F :59.80 All Weather Track Fast H
    01/04/2010 SA 5F 1:00.80 All Weather Track Fast H
    12/29/2009 SA 4F :48.00 All Weather Track Fast H
    12/23/2009 SA 4F :48.00 All Weather Track Fast H
    12/17/2009 SA 4F :49.60 All Weather Track Fast H
    12/06/2009 SA 3F :35.80 All Weather Track Fast B
    11/29/2009 SA 3F :36.00 All Weather Track Fast H
    edited January 2010

I just sent a message about Bulldogger for you and when I get the reply I will post it for you.

fb
    edited January 2010
    Thank You guys
    edited January 2010
    Thank You guys

Was told earlier he will be entered in about a month, I will update you when I speak to them again.

fb
    edited January 2010
    SWEET. It's important that they get this Colts races under his belt. (Preps for the Derby)
    edited January 2010
    I will keep you informed and if Baffert comes to the FG with Lookinatlucky I will see him and get more info on Bulldogger then for you.

fb
    edited January 2010
    Bulldogger had himself another super workout yesterday 6f in 1:11 2/5 H.