Gary Stevens disbanding his stable; going back to TV

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
from Daily Racing Form:

ARCADIA, Calif. - Gary Stevens is disbanding his 14-horse training stable this month to concentrate on television work, he said on Friday.

A Hall of Fame jockey, Stevens said the expansion of NBC to show several Kentucky Derby prep races and his acquisition of a theatrical role in a racing-themed series that will begin on HBO later this year led to his decision.

In an interview last month, Stevens said he intended to build his racing stable in 2010, but said on Friday that the television opportunities would take up considerable time.

"It's all too much - and a new baby," he said. Stevens and his wife, Angie, have an infant daughter, Madison.

Stevens said he will run as many as seven horses through January, with his last starter expected to be Diamondrella in the Grade 1 Santa Monica Handicap on Jan. 31.

Stevens launched his racing stable last spring and has had one winner from 21 starters. Friday, his Wake Me Now finished fourth in the fourth race at Santa Anita. Stevens said four horses left his barn on Friday and that the other 10 will be sent to other trainers in coming weeks.

Since retiring as a jockey in 2005, Stevens has worked as a commentator for NBC, TVG, and HRTV. Stevens did not rule out a return to training at some point in his life.

"I'm putting my stuff in storage," he said. "Ten years from now, Angie and I would like to raise Maddy in Kentucky."