Rachel vs. Zenyatta @ Sam Houston?

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
from Daily Racing Form:

Sam Houston Race Park will offer a maximum purse of $2 million if Rachel Alexandra and Zenyatta were both to start in the track's Gallery Furniture Distaff that has a tentative date of March 27.

Sam Houston and race sponsor Jim "Mattress Mack" McIngvale have been pursuing a showdown between the two horses for several months, first setting a date of Dec. 5 for a $1.5 million race, then Jan. 30. Sam Houston has now moved the date again and left room for purse negotiations after learning in the last week that Zenyatta has come out of retirement and will race in 2010.

"In light of the news, we're going to keep doing what we've been doing to try and get the two ladies here," said Andrea Young, president of Sam Houston.

The race would be run over 1 1/8 miles on Sam Houston's main track and would be open to males. The minimum purse will be $1.5 million, with McIngvale willing to negotiate up to $2 million, officials said. Both horses would have to start for the race to be a go.

Young said the March 27 date is negotiable.

Rachel Alexandra was named Horse of the Year on Monday night, while Zenyatta won the Breeders' Cup Classic in November.

Comments

• husker70husker70 Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    Discreet Cat---i Hope The Owners Look At The Full Picture Of This Matchup....i'm A Horsemen And Breeder In Texas..and Live In Houston Area.....this Would Only Be A Gimmic Race For This Area....there's No Real Support For Horse Racing Here In This State...all The Money Has Gone Out To The Surrounding States...2,500 Claimers Running For$ 20 To $30,000 Purses Over In Needle Land Louisianna And Other States
    This Is The 4th Largest City In Usa And You Might See A Few Thousand Attend Races Here....what Little Horse People There Is ..support The Dog Track In This Area...and No Respect...lots Of Politics In This 'bush' State As They Line Their Pockets For Their Benefit...not Horsemen Or Horse Racing Industry..
    Mattress Mack Was Anoriginal Owner Here At Sam Houston...but He Himself Pulled Out For Lack Of Interest.....texas Has A Long Was To Go And With The Administration We Have Now...its Not Going To Get Better....
    So For America And True Horsemen And Lovers....this Dream Race Should Be Staged In A State That Supports Horse Racing To The Max............
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Sam Houston is my home track, Husker. Everything you say is true, but I would still love to see the race take place there. For selfish reasons, I admit.

The one thing I think you're wrong about though is the "few thousand people" showing up. I think the place would be packed. Not only with locals, but I'm sure a whole lot of people would come in from out of town. It would be a special event.
  • RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited January 2010
    Someone better figure out a way for these two to meet. Horse racing needs it.
  • husker70husker70 Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    Sam Houston is my home track, Husker. Everything you say is true, but I would still love to see the race take place there. For selfish reasons, I admit.

The one thing I think you're wrong about though is the "few thousand people" showing up. I think the place would be packed. Not only with locals, but I'm sure a whole lot of people would come in from out of town. It would be a special event.
    DISCREET...YOU GOT ME WRONG ON STATEMENT...MY REFERENCE WAS TO HOW MANY ATTEND RACES HERE AT SAM HOUSTON...4TH LARGEST CITY SHOULD HAVE MORE INTEREST THAN THEY DO....DALLAS WITH LONE STAR IS REPRESENTED ALOT BETTER AND A MUCH CLASSIER PLACE.....NO , I BELIEVE THEY WILL TURN OUT ..MACK HAS THE MONEY...BUT I WOULD RATHER SEE IT BE MATCHED UP IN A MORE 'HORSE WORTHY' STATE....AND LIKE RIGHT ANGLE SAYS...AND NEEDS TO BE DONE......AND BY THE LOOKS OF IT ....I THINK IT WILL...THE ONLY THING WILL IT BE DIRT OR SYNTHETIC.......RACING NEEDS A GOOD SHOT IN THE ARM....NOT IN THE HORSES THOUGH...................
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Sorry, i misunderstood. You're right about the day-to-day product, it's lousy. The only reason i went there was for simulcasting. It's a nice facility though, and i think it would be as good a spot as any for the matchup. The racing surface has always gotten rave reviews.

Regarding the potential matchup, i don't think there's any question it's going to happen. Unless Jackson decides to duck Zenyatta, that is. The reason i say it hinges on Jackson is because i think that Moss brought Zenyatta out of retirement specifically to face Rachel. If he was after money he'd probably be pointing her to Dubai. I think it's personal now, and he wants to prove that Zenyatta is the better horse (rightly or wrongly).