English Derby favorite St Nicholas Abbey said to be progressing nicely

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
from Sporting Life:

Aidan O'Brien says "all options are open" for Guineas and Derby favourite St Nicholas Abbey.

The son of Montjeu was a brilliant winner of the Racing Post Trophy on his final start at two and has been progressing well over the winter.

"It's so far so good with him, but like the others he's only ticking over really," the trainer told At The Races.

"He was a very exciting horse last year and we're very excited about this year. Everything seems to be as was so far anyway."

The trainer won't decide whether to aim St Nicholas Abbey at the 2000 Guineas until late March.

"Early spring they all come together and we'll see how they are and at what stage they're at. We'll go away to a couple of tracks for a couple pieces of work, usually towards the end of March," he confirmed.

"Paul Hennessy and the team at the Curragh are good enough to let us go there for a canter a little before the Guineas and we just have a feeling then where they'll fit in and what's going to happen.

"It's so far so good with St Nicholas Abbey and all options are open at the moment."

O'Brien - like everyone else - admits to being excited by the colt.

"Everyone saw last year he's a very unusual horse. He's by Montjeu but has loads of speed and loads of class. His three runs he was dropped in, cruised through them and picked up really well.

"He looks a very classy horse and he will be trained with a Classic campaign in mind."

St Nicholas Abbey is 9/4 with Sky Bet for the Investec Derby.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Just an update on St Nicholas Abbey, who is reputed to be the best 3yo in Europe, and one we might be seeing at the Breeders Cup later this year. Apparently he flamed out in the 2000 Guineas recently, which is basically a prep for the English Derby, but is a top mile race for 3yo's on it's own merit and traditionally kicks off the European racing season.

from Sporting Life:

Aidan O'Brien is content to let St Nicholas Abbey do the talking in the Investec Derby at Epsom on June 5.

Much was expected of the Racing Post Trophy winner when he was sent off the even-money market leader for the StanJames.com 2000 Guineas at Newmarket, but he could manage no better than a one-paced sixth.

However, he retained Derby favouritism after that reverse and those behind him at the all-powerful Ballydoyle empire have not lost faith.

The trainer said: "He was a highly rated two-year-old and you dream that the ability is still there.

"He has always been the number one contender and nothing has changed about that.

"I will let him defend himself. I am not trying to blow him up or hype him - I will let him show you.

"I say watch him. I hope he gets to Epsom in good shape and we can enjoy watching him.

"He has to stand up and do it, but he has to be forgiven for what happened in the Guineas."

Despite being bred for middle distances, O'Brien was encouraged by St Nicholas Abbey's homework over shorter trips in advance of the Guineas.

And such was the speed he showed on the gallops, O'Brien admits the son of Montjeu may have been slightly undercooked for the first Classic of the season.

He said: "I didn't want to destroy him by training him too hard and he has come on nicely for the run.

"He had the last week off and we will start building him up again as there is a month to the race.

"He is in a good place to go to Epsom but perhaps he was too sharp on the day at Newmarket. He was ready to run a hard mile and it wasn't a hard mile.

"He jumped at Newmarket and he jumped handy. Frankie Dettori's horse (Al Zir) bumped him early on and he went into fifth gear after that and ran fresh.

"He has always been very natural and we have always felt that all we could do is to spoil him. He doesn't take much training and has a very strong mind.

"He has to step up, but I think it is in there. It was circumstance that beat him at Newmarket.

"I was not worried about the trip going there as his times had been as good as all of the good milers we have had, and he was doing it easily - on the bridle.

"That could have been his undoing and if I had asked more of him then he might not have been so fresh.

"I would have no problem dropping him back to a mile if I knew it was going to be a strongly-run mile."

St Nicholas Abbey is just one of a clutch of possible runners in the Derby for O'Brien, with Midas Touch proving a welcome winner of the Derrinstown Stud Derby Trial on Sunday afternoon after a slow start to the month for the yard.

"We are just starting to come out of the jungle and the horses are just starting to come to hand," added O'Brien.

"If that is the case then great as there are a lot of good races coming up."

While O'Brien has not saddled a Derby winner since High Chaparral in 2002, stable jockey Johnny Murtagh scored in 2005 aboard Motivator and has also ridden Sinndar and the aforementioned High Chaparral to victory.

Murtagh was gushing in his praise of St Nicholas Abbey after the Racing Post Trophy, and he also has not given up on his possible Derby mount.

He said: "He won the Racing Post Trophy without any hype and he is potentially the best I have ridden.

"If we get him there on the day then he can be up there with the best."

O'Brien's other Derby runners have yet to be finalised but he is likely to field another large team after being responsible for six of the 12 runners last year.

"Mikhail Glinka had a foot bruise which delayed him and held him up. He is in at Epsom but we will see how we go," O'Brien stated.

"We were delighted with Midas Touch and he has come out of the race well and eaten up.

"Viscount Nelson is in the Dante, but it has yet to be decided if he runs. He is in at Epsom and if he misses the Dante he could go for the Irish Guineas.

"Fencing Master is in the Irish Guineas and he is a horse who looks like he will get further than a mile - Epsom is still a possible.

"At First Sight is well and will go straight to Epsom while Jan Vermeer has been fine since his day out at the Curragh.

"He has the option of going to the Irish Guineas and then to Epsom. If he misses the Irish Guineas then he could go straight to the French Derby so he has a lot of options at the moment.

"Cape Blanco nicked the back of a heel on Sunday and is wearing bandages, but he seemed fine today and the plan is to run in the Dante."