G III Southwest Stakes on Presidents Day

kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
edited February 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Shaping up to be a good field. Here is something I wrote up and posted on the Oaklawn Park Facebook page.

The Grade III Southwest Stakes is shaping up to be a dandy of a field. Conveyance, trained by Bob Baffert, is 3 for 3 lifetime but has never raced on dirt. Conveyance will be ridden in the Southwest Oaklawn's own Garrett Gomez. Another California invader for the Southwest is Cardiff Giant. He finished second to Convey...ance in the Grade III San Rafael Stakes on January 16th at Santa Anita. Cardiff Giant will be ridden by last years Eclipse award winning apprentice Christian Santiago Reyes. A horse that finished third in the San Rafael earlier this month will also make the quest to Oaklawn, Domonation. Domonation is trained by John Sadler. All three Californian horses will be flown in to Hot Springs on Wednesday. Mission Impazible will arrive from Florida on Tuesday. He is trained by Todd Pletcher and will be ridden by Johnny Valazquez. Oaklawn will send out a couple of its finest to try and capture the $250,000 Southwest, Dryfly, Dublin, Kitty's Turn, and Pleasant Storm. Pleasant Storm, a fast closing second in January's Smarty Jones Stakes, is trained by Joe Petalino. Kitty's Turn, trained by Gary Thomas and also a fast closing third in the Smarty Jones, will be ridden by Robby Albarado. Dryfly, who is owned by Oaklawn's owner Charles Cella and trained by Lynn Whiting, will be under the saddle of Calvin Borel. Making his three year old debut in the Southwest will be Dublin. Dublin is the son of Oaklawn legend Afleet Alex and is trained by Hall of Famer D. Wayne Lukas. As a two year old, he won the Grade I Hopeful Stakes (7 furlongs) at Saratoga. Another possible entrant could be Moojab, the son of Smarty Jones.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Just read that Tiz Chrome could turn up in the Southwest...
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    whoa. thats my early derby pick at the moment. would be nice!!!
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    Dublin is on my Watch List as one of my Derby Hopefuls.