Bob Lewis Stakes re-scheduled for next Saturday

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited February 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
from Bloodhorse:

Despite heavy rain that forced cancellation of Santa Anita's stakes-heavy card Feb. 6, horsemen are making whatever adjustments are necessary and are moving forward.

Santa Anita has announced that the three major stakes, the $250,000 Las Virgenes (gr. I), the $150,000 Robert B. Lewis (gr. II) and $200,000 Strub Stakes (gr. II), have been rescheduled a week later on Feb. 13.

“Blind Luck will have an easy work Tuesday (Feb. 9),” said Jerry Hollendorfer assistant Dan Ward of the Eclipse Award finalist for champion 2-year-old filly of 2009, a heavy favorite for the Las Virgenes. “She’s very smart. Two years ago, when Heatseeker ran second in the San Antonio (gr. II), they had pushed it back so that there were only three weeks until the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I), and he won anyway, so there wasn’t much difference.”

Eoin Harty said Hollywood Prevue (gr. III) winner American Lion would work Feb. 8 for the Lewis. “No major adjustments,” the trainer said. “We’ll just try again.”

Mike Machowsky expressed similar sentiment when asked about unbeaten Lewis contender Caracortado. “He’ll work five furlongs Monday, and there’s not much difference from his routine,” the trainer said. “We’ll just keep him in shape until the race.”

All three races will be redrawn and all horses that were nominated are eligible to be entered. The Santa Maria Handicap (gr. II) will also be part of the Feb. 13 card.

In addition to the three graded stakes that were canceled Saturday, the $65,000 Leroidesanimaux Handicap and the $60,000 Wishing Well Handicap will be redrawn and carded for either Feb. 11 or 12, track officials decided.

The remaining five overnight races that were lost will be offered again as extra races to horsemen in the coming week. Those races that are used will be redrawn and are open to all horses who meet eligibility requirements.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Tiz Chrome is back for the Bob Lewis, as are American Lion and Dave in Dixie. It's down to just a 5-horse field though, with Domonation having shipped to Oaklawn for the Southwest, and Macias opting for a downhill turf race instead. That pretty much tells you which horse Baffert was serious about winning last week's cancelled race with, I guess. Pretty sad that they can only draw 5 horses for a graded Derby prep.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    its a shame because as we all know the most important thing is graded earnings...
    edited February 2010
    Caracortado is back as well, I probably should've mentioned that. So the 4 favorites are all returning to the race.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    well that makes for a very good betting race...lol..
    edited February 2010
    I don't know. I gave Tiz Chrome out on my website on Saturday, but i was kind of pushing it even with the 7-horse field. Here's what i wrote at the time, might as well post it here...

Private purchase for Baffert had reportedly been training lights-out since arriving in California, and he certainly looked the part in the Stuka Stakes, sitting right off blazing fractions and then striding out extremely well through the lane despite having contested those fast splits. He simply ran away from our pick Cardiff Giant that day, and Cardiff Giant returned to run a strong second in another sprint after that before running second to the nice Derby prospect Conveyance in the San Rafael. Also note that well-beaten second-place finisher Domonation (also entered here) returned to run third in the San Rafael. Tiz Chrome makes his two-turn debut here, but he's bred to run long top-and-bottom, and he certainly finished powerfully in the Stuka (final sixteenth in 6 flat). Flashy-looking colt appears to have a ton of talent, and it's definitely worth noting that Baffert had originally planned to run this guy in the San Vicente Stakes (7 furlongs) later this month before stretching him out at a later date. The fact that he's showing up here perhaps indicates that Baffert feels he's ahead of schedule. And of course Baffert won this race last year with his top Derby prospect Pioneerof the Nile. I am a bit concerned about the 2/1 ml and the big Beyer figure (97), especially with a Baffert trainee. No easy spot for him here, so i wouldn't want to take too short a price. But i think he'll likely be playable as both American Lion and Dave in Dixie figure to have a good deal of support as well (perhaps Caracortado also). Expecting a strong effort from this horse, who i think is one of the better Derby prospects in the country right now.