Rachel Alexandra Work at FG

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited March 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Just got word from a real set of eyes on Rachel's work. He told me she didn't change leads and this was a HORRIBLE work. Looked nothing like last years animal.

fb

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    i have to agree with you fb...did not look to hot out there..was on her feet the whole time and did not look comfortable out there...is that why the assman had them comments that made it sound like she wasnt running....
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    she sure as heck was a handful at the beginning of the work. running back to back 11's down the lane was the only good sign of that work
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    that was good but she didnt look good doing it and she was getting in the whole way down and plus the rider was actually shaking the rains on her
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    That is why I bolded the statement from the article. The weather was real brisk yesterday about 38 degrees with a wind chill of 30-32. My contact is spot on as he is there everyday for all works for him self and a few others. I'm not always privy to his info as sometimes he likes to make the scores himself and cannot blame him he is putting in all the effort and time. But I ran into him on FOY day and he pulled me to the side and said I have one for you today in the last race. His eyes were gleaming and his exact words were this colt is absolute gorgeous and can run. His name is Canon Man and don't leave till the last race won by 7 almost.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Very interesting. Many have speculated that Rachel suffered some kind of injury last year, which was covered up by the "we won't run her on synthetic" claim. That would also explain why Rachel "needed more time" for an April race, despite the fact she hadn't run since last fall and could easily have started training whenever they wanted (assuming good health).

This report makes me really consider taking that +120 on Zenyatta at Lucky's, but the problem is, if the race doesn't come off, they get to keep the money until it does. Or until 2011, whichever comes first. Wynn has a similar prop (identical? I know it's the same price). Perhaps it's just for the Apple Blossom though, I'll have to look into that.
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    So I was talking to my best friend who happens to be a jockey at oaklawn and I watched the video with him and he was quick to blame the workout horse... A half in 51 is way to slow and he said he doesn't understand why the hell dominic terry rode her like he did. She switched leads at the top of the stretch then he is fighting her trying to get her to switch leads which she had already had done. Then he looks down at her legs half way down the stretch. He said a 4 year old horse knows when to switch leads... He said u feel it too and he should have known for sure that she did. He wasn't real high on the training partner or exercise rider. I asked him why calvin doesn't come down and work her and he said because of assmussen... Fwiw. Just a messenger here
  • 2W2P2S2W2P2S Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    You don't need much of an excuse to bet against a dominant 3YO going into a 4YO season....and of course, vice versa. You don't need much of an excuse to bet on a less than dominant 3YO going into its 4YO season.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2010
    My issue with the prop bet has been the price. Personally I think Zenyatta is good value @ 6/5, but I've had no reason to believe she'd be offering anything less than that on raceday. And she could even be a bit higher. True you only have to beat one horse in the matchup, but let's be real, if she beats Rachel she's likely winning the race anyway. My interest in the prop goes up when I feel that the raceday price on Zenyatta may be going down.

Any opinion on what their respective raceday prices might be?
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    I really think Lady Zen is going to be even money or less. The Cali contingent is much more powerful at the windows than the east coast. There will be more money on Lady Zen IMO on April 9th at Oaklawn. I would grab that +120 as race day nears will be gone especially if Rachel looks average on next Saturday.

fb