Odysseus to run once more before Derby

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited March 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
from Daily Racing Form:

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. - Trainer Tom Albertrani has confirmed that the Tampa Bay Derby winner, Odysseus, will have one final prep before the Kentucky Derby, with the choices remaining either the Blue Grass or Arkansas Derby.

"If all is well he'll get to run one more time before the Derby, although at the moment we still haven't made a definite decision where it will be," Albertrani said on Tuesday. "We're probably going to work him either Thursday or Friday, see how he is, and then make a choice between the Blue Grass or Arkansas Derby. We've still got another two weeks before we really have to decide. He'll ship on the 5th no matter where he goes, although I'd say by this time next week we should know which direction we're heading."

Odysseus fought back from seemingly certain defeat at the quarter pole to win the Grade 3 Tampa Bay Derby by a nose over Schoolyard Dreams. The $180,000 in graded earnings all but assured Odysseus a spot in the Kentucky Derby, leaving Albertrani the decision of whether to give him another race or train him the seven weeks up to the Derby.

One factor Albertrani must consider when it comes to Odysseus's final Derby prep would be that the Blue Grass is run over a synthetic surface at Keeneland, while the Arkansas Derby is decided over dirt at Oaklawn Park. Odysseus has never started over a synthetic racetrack.

"I'm not that concerned about him running over the synthetic, and the cooler climate in Kentucky might benefit him more," said Albertrani. "The good thing is that we're not in a situation where we need to win. It's just a matter of getting a little added experience and another race into him, closer than seven weeks."

Comments

• kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    bring him on!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2010
    I was somewhat high on Odysseus heading into the Tampa Bay Derby (i picked him to win that race, along several other posters), but he looked pretty flat, i thought. Not sure if it was just an off-day, but i think perhaps i overrated him off the big allowance score vs. low level competition. I don't consider him much of a Derby contender at the moment, though he could certainly turn it around with a strong effort in the Blue Grass or Ark Derby. Wouldn't put it past him.