Opinions on Preakness?

MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
edited May 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Does Super Saver come right back and win it? Did he run a slow Derby because all of these horses are just that slow or was it the slop? What about Lookin at lucky, does Baffert bring him back in 2 weeks or is this horse just a magnet for trouble when racing?

Im hoping Super Saver wins the Preakness and Zito skips the Preakness with Ice Box. This way Ice Box can run right by him in the Belmont. If you wach the race coming around the far turn the jockey took Ice Box off of the rail and swing him ride after checking at least once. Thought he ran a very impressive race to finish second. JMO

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    i did not like ice box at all but he ran a hell of a race and he had trouble....mike what can you say about calvin and this derby streak...this is unheard of in this age for someone to just dominate a race of this caliber....and can someone let me know when they have a awesome act siting because he didnt run 1 bit.....
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    rayphil wrote: »
    i did not like ice box at all but he ran a hell of a race and he had trouble....mike what can you say about calvin and this derby streak...this is unheard of in this age for someone to just dominate a race of this caliber....and can someone let me know when they have a awesome act siting because he didnt run 1 bit.....

I rewatched the derby from my CPU and all angles available from NBC during their airing. To me, it seemed as though the combination of track conditions and mud hitting him in the face DID NOT sit well. From one of the aerial views you can see his head bouncing around and he never looked one bit comfortable.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    paddy o prado ran a good race to..better then what i thought....but then again i didnt make any good decisions today anyway...
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    rayphil wrote: »
    paddy o prado ran a good race to..better then what i thought....but then again i didnt make any good decisions today anyway...

My day really took a dive when Loup Breton decided to get bottled up along the rail.
    I had a piss poor day live at Arlington and didn't do any better at CD.
    In fact, I think i had 2 winners at AP and 1 winner at CD all day.
  • hotbustophotbustop Member
    edited May 2010
    Ice Box would have won with ease with a better trip. I hope he runs right back and I hope we get a fast track. Not just for Ice Box but for all. That catd sucked today because of the slop.
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    Certainly I think the preakness favors the front runners more. I agree with ice box in the belmont. DC where do you think his odds would be in the belmont? Im guesing he would drop down quite alot. I remember in a similar sinario empire make going from like 6 or 8 to 1 down to 2-1 at post.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Horsin~Aro wrote: »
    Certainly I think the preakness favors the front runners more. I agree with ice box in the belmont. DC where do you think his odds would be in the belmont? Im guesing he would drop down quite alot. I remember in a similar sinario empire make going from like 6 or 8 to 1 down to 2-1 at post.

Impossible to say right now. We don't know is Super Saver will win the Preakness and be gunning for the Triple Crown, plus we don't know who else might be in the race. Personally, I still think Setsuko would deserve a long look in that race.

Funny you guys are talking Derby trips and not mentioning Lookin at Lucky. NBC showed an isolation shot of his first furlong or so, and it was brutal. Pretty amazing that he was able to manage 6th under the circumstances.
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    I will mention lucky! he got up for sixth after being 19th or 20th almost the whole way around.

ps-its the oldest play in the book to play the closer in the belmont. go back and watch and usually the closer can't catch the speed. u would think they could but this often is a automatic sucker bet. doesn't mean it wont happen this year but it is often true. amazingly
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2010
    That's true, the Belmont generally favors speed. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the pace is often very slow due to the distance of the race.