Turf Melody
4th, Illinois Derby

Comments

• wire2wirewire2wire Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    ALKENITE...last was very good...w2w
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    Agreed. He made a big move in Derby Trial, but was not going to catch the winner. Aikenite could be sitting on a big effort given 3 weeks rest off last race. Do not expect any big workouts leading up to the Preakness, as he gives little to no effort in the morning. The Dogwood site has all but said he is a definite, and they expect good things. Will be interesting to see the jockey shuffle, as Baffert will almost certainly send Lucky to Preakness, with Gomez riding, who was on Aikenite in last. Johnny V. and Garcia have ridden in past.. Nevertheless, well worth a good look at approx. odds of probably 20-1.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    from Thoroughbred Times:
    Caracortado
    4th, Santa Anita Derby

Hurricane Ike
    1st, Derby Trial

Ice Box
    2nd, Kentucky Derby

Lookin At Lucky
    6th, Kentucky Derby

Noble's Promise
    5th, Kentucky Derby

Paddy O’Prado
    3rd, Kentucky Derby

Schoolyard Dreams
    4th, Wood Memorial

These are those whom I have some interest in coming to the Preakness. Ice Box is likely going to be overbet (with all the hype surrounding him right now, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes favorite in the Preakness). It'll be an interesting week and a half to see how this field shapes up.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2010
    I'd have a hard time backing Aikenite in the Preakness. When's the last ttime that horse actually won a race? Around one turn as a 2yo?

Incidentally, the Derby Trial was one turn.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Just looked it up. Aikenite has won a 6-furlong maiden race @ Saratoga, and that's it.

I was a fan of his after his fine race in the Alcibiades (i even cashed a matchup bet on him in the Breeders Cup), but his two-turn 3yo form is just highly disappointing. And i don't think a sharp effort in the one-turn Derby Trial (in the mud, no less) is a harbinger of a Preakness breakout. Maybe i'm wrong, but i think Aikenite is an easy toss.