garcia on "lucky" in preakness????

rayphilrayphil Senior Member
edited May 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
garcia who fired vic stauffer as a agent is now under a new agent by the name of jim pegram who is the brother of mike pegram who is part owner....wouldnt be shocked if this happens and happens quick...

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Good young rider, and Baffert has been squarely in his corner, but i'd be very surprised if a change is made for the Preakness.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    i like garcia..he turned out to be a nice young rider and he listens to baffert....we will see..hey cat you got anything live tomorrow?
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2010
    I'm ice-cold right now. I haven't had a winner in over a week.

Just saw this on the DRF site, looks like you were onto something:

Conveyance, who finished 15th in the Kentucky Derby, on Friday was taken out of consideration for the Preakness by trainer Bob Baffert, who still is pointing Lookin At Lucky to the Preakness.

There is a strong chance there could be a jockey replacement on Lookin At Lucky, who has been ridden by Garrett Gomez. Martin Garcia, who rode Conveyance, is "still on hold with Mr. Baffert" for the Preakness and other races that day at Pimlico, said Garcia's agent, Jim Pegram.

Baffert was not happy with Gomez's ride in the Kentucky Derby, nor in the Santa Anita Derby in his prior start. Pegram is the brother of Mike Pegram, a co-owner of Lookin At Lucky.

"Everything's on hold," Jim Pegram said. "I haven't received any word from Bob."

If Gomez loses the mount on Lookin At Lucky, that could set off a domino effect regarding other Preakness mounts, since a jockey of Gomez's reputation surely would be pursued by other parties. Trainer D. Wayne Lukas, for instance, has two runners in the race, and right now has Terry Thompson named on Dublin but has no rider named for Northern Giant.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    Gomez officially off.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/56920/gomez-on-dublin-for-preakness-off-lucky

Also note the quote where Baffert says Martin is likely but he's "received other inquiries from other legit riders to take the mount"

I think your prediction may very well become official in the next 48hrs.