Aikenite worth a shot?

MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
edited May 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Ive been folllowing him since the Breeders Cup Juv (I played Aikenite in that race). The only thing I question is: If Super Saver takes the lead coming down the stretch do you honestly thing Pletcher gives his jockey on Aikenite the OK to come after Super Saver and beat him? I find it odd that Pletcher would run this horse along with maybe another horse in this race to ruin a triple crown shot. I know other trainers have done it in the past but they mostly ran rabbits with no shot. I know each horse has a different owner but I say Pletcher says give him the brakes if Super Saver has the lead and I got a funny feeling he already discussed this with Aikenites owners. Also why isnt his go to guy in Johnny V on Aikenite. All seems shady!

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    different owners....if he doesnt do what they say then they will take hime from him.....now i highly doubt winstar running any horses especially if saver wins the freakness
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    all these owners see that 1 million purse and go after it...
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    I like Aikenite in the race maybe more than Dublin :( but I have to think there must be some shady shit going on behind closed doors.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    I am unable to make a strong case for either Dublin or Aikenite.
    For whats it worth, I was a strong supporter of both, even when many doubted.
    Aikenite simply doesnt win and his dirt races aren't exactly jumping off the page.
    Dublin is another one who always just comes up short. His two preps before the derby looked like winning moves only to flatten out in the stretch. I also believe he is more dangerous at shorter distances.

Outside of Lookin at Lucky there and Super Saver three horses have my attention this week.

Paddy O Prado - Rougher trip than many saw at Derby. Ran into multiple walls of traffic, lost momentum, and something weird at end of race (not sure if it was Kent D being too lazy after not winning or something else).

Schoolyard Dreams - I've been high on this one since his big move at Tampa back in March. They said he wasnt 100% for the Wood and that performance can be excused. He should be fresh off the bench and a large price.

Caracortado - This one doesn't run a bad race. Sydneys Candy had the huge pace advantage against this one in last two and he overcame a ton of trouble in the SA Derby to run on well for fourth. He has won on dirt (dont have a form and correct me if Im wrong, but he broke his maiden over at Fairplex?). Again like SD he will be rested and ready to roll and should be in a good striking position in a race that doesn't look to have anywhere near the pace of the Derby but enough to keep it honest.

I'll be using these three in someway or another unless I hear or see anything negative over this week.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2010
    I posted in an earlier thread (forget which one) that Aikenite hasn't won a race since he broke his maiden sprinting. That also means (obviously) that he has never won around two turns. And in some of those races, he hasn't even been competitive. Very hard to like him in the Preakness.
  • wire2wirewire2wire Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    PUT HIM AT TOP OF MY LIST RIGHT NOW...JUST HAVE A FEELING...ALSO DO NOT THINK TRACK WILL BE A SWAMP ON SATURDAY...w2w