Where is Sidneys Candy?

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited July 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Anyone heard or read anything about Sidney's Candy after the derby, has he been back on the track galloping or a work. I cannot believe nothing has been reported.

fb

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2010
    He has no recorded workouts since the Derby. Not sure if that's a red flag or not, considering how poorly he ran. Might've just been given a break.
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    He'll be back as a sprinter, reminds me of Artax.
    edited May 2010
    Sure he can sprint, but we all know there's more money in the longer races, and I think he's proven that he can route effectively. As far as comparing him to someone, Rail Trip comes to mind.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    I'm surprised no website has even touched on him.
    edited May 2010
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    I'm surprised no website has even touched on him.

I was just reading a DRF article about the Belmont, which included some quotes from John Sadler, as he just decided to enter Dave in Dixie in the Belmont. They even mentioned Sidney's Candy by name, in pointing out Sadler's Derby entrants, but they never mentioned anything regarding his current status. You might think that's a little strange, considering how highly regarded Sidney's Candy was going into the Derby. By that I mean, there was no mention of whether Sadler had considered running Sidney's Candy in the Belmont (but had decided to run Dave in Dixie instead, or whatever). I guess you could say the same thing about Line of David, because they didn't touch on his status either, but I did find it a little odd.

In a somewhat related matter, you guys may remember last summer that I was extremely high on a Sadler colt named Samardo (who actually finished right behind Sidney's Candy in their common debut). Not long after it turned out he was injured, I noticed his conspicuous absence from some DRF articles where Sadler was talking about his other colts (such as Dave in Dixie being pointed at the Norfolk, etc). So this might not be a coincidence that he isn't being mentioned here (other than to point out that he was one of Sadler's Derby entrants). Just wild specualtion, but it might not be the best of signs.
    edited June 2010
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Anyone heard or read anything about Sidney's Candy after the derby, has he been back on the track galloping or a work. I cannot believe nothing has been reported.

fb

FB, I just saw this in the Hollywood Park stable notes:

Santa Anita Derby winner Sidney’s Candy worked a bullet six furlongs in 1:11.60 under jockey Joe Talamo for the Swaps Stakes to the satisfaction of trainer John Sadler.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    Thanks DC!!
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    Sidney's Candy to return in Swaps
    By Steve Andersen
    INGLEWOOD, Calif. - For the next 10 days, the focus of the final weekend of Hollywood Park and the opening day at Del Mar is on 3-year-olds - the established main-track stars and the up-and-coming hopefuls on turf.

Hollywood Park concludes its spring-summer meeting this Sunday, and the most lucrative race of the final weekend is Saturday's $200,000 Swaps Stakes for 3-year-olds over 1 1/8 miles on the synthetic main track.

Sidney's Candy, the winner of the Santa Anita Derby in April, will make his first start since a 17th-place finish in the Kentucky Derby on May 1. Owned by Jenny Craig, Sidney's Candy has won 4 of 7 starts and $673,567.

"He's just put on weight and he looks strong," trainer John Sadler said. "It's a big grind to go for that [Kentucky Derby]."

The Grade 2 Swaps drew just eight nominees, including Golden Itiz, Skipshot, and Alphie's Bet, the first three finishers of the Grade 3 Affirmed Handicap last month. Alphie's Bet won the Grade 3 Sham Stakes at Santa Anita in February.

Del Mar opens its seven-week summer meeting on July 21 and the opening-day feature is the $100,000 Oceanside Stakes for 3-year-olds over a mile on turf. The race is restricted to horses that have not won a $50,000 first-place purse this year. Some candidates, such as the highly promising Twirling Candy, have not run in a race that valuable. Other hopefuls such as Bogie or Macias, who were second and third in the Grade 3 Will Rogers Stakes at Hollywood Park on June 20, have not hadsuccess at that level.

Twirling Candy has made two starts for Craig and Sadler, winning a maiden race last November and an optional claimer over 6 1/2 furlongs by 7 3/4 lengths in his 3-year-old debut on May 29. He has not run beyond seven furlongs.

Macias, trained by Bob Baffert, won the Eddie Logan Stakes on turf at Santa Anita last December and the $55,000 Baffle Stakes on the hillside turf course there in February. He has lost his last four starts.

Bogie began his career in Ireland and has made three starts in this country for trainer Paddy Gallagher. At Santa Anita, he finished third in the La Puente Stakes in his United States debut and followed that with a victory in an optional claimer over 1?1/16 miles on turf at Hollywood
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    Golden Itiz? Like this one
    edited July 2010
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    Golden Itiz? Like this one

Really looking forward to seeing Twirling Candy run again. Surprised to see his name mentioned for the Oceanside, but I guess it makes sense.
    edited July 2010
    Really looking forward to seeing Twirling Candy run again. Surprised to see his name mentioned for the Oceanside, but I guess it makes sense.

Twirling Candy was entered in the Swaps today as part of an entry with Sidney's Candy, but he has been scratched. Looks like the Oceanside for sure now.
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    Twirling Candy was entered in the Swaps today as part of an entry with Sidney's Candy, but he has been scratched. Looks like the Oceanside for sure now.

yup thats correct .,

Sidney's Candy got beat by skipshot @the wire in a 4horse field wow what a race check it out
    skipshot has a big heart wow so close it was a photo finish

DMR
    8th (5:42) Oceanside S.

1 Mile (Turf) | Open | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $100,000

1 Face and an Ace Blanc B 119 L
    2 Very Fair Smith M E 119 L
    3 Twirling Candy Rosario J 119 L
    4 Brady Blue Eyes Baze T C 119 L
    5 Hockley Flores D R 119 L
    6 Macias Garcia M 121 L
    7 Domonation Bejarano R 117 L
    8 Just Magic Pedroza M A 119 L
    9 Gallant Gent Espinoza V 119 L
    10 Killer Bear Valdez F S 119 L
    edited July 2010
    I thought Sidney's Candy ran huge. He was challenged in a big way by Skipshot coming around the turn, but he turned on the jets and left him in the dust, He obviously just got tired in the final furlong, quite understandable considering the layoff.

Hats off to Skipshot, who didn't get discouraged and just kept coming.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    i didnt think that it was that good of a race...i understand the layoff but still a four horse race you have to win...hes a lightly race horse who should of had another gear and kicked clear..so should people say the same thing about lookin at lucky when trappe shot beats him...
    edited July 2010
    That was my point, Sidney's Candy did find another gear and kicked clear. He just got tired late. And since we already know he can carry his speed for 1 1/8 miles, i think it's apparent that the layoff was the big factor here.

Regarding that, it should probably be noted that Sidney's Candy ran his career-worst race (before the Derby, anyway) when coming off his prior layoff early this year. He also lost his debut, though he did run pretty well i that one. Looks like the kind of horse who may need a race under his belt in order to fire his best shot.