Getting in the game!

DuckgawdDuckgawd Senior Member
edited July 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Good day Gentlemen,

I wanted to get some input from you guys if you have any.

I am thinking about beeing more than just a fan, and a gambler and become an owner.

I Dont really know how to get into the owner game, other than joining a syndicate. I was thinking that way possibly, but also maybe get my license and buy a 7500-10,000 Claimer over at Fort Erie, Woodbine or Finger Lakes. How do you go about getting a trainer, where do I go for the license..... Anyone an owner themselves or know anything about getting into the game? Im gonna start doing some research and thought no better place to start then with my degenerate friends.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2010
    I'm guessing FB or perhaps King would be the guys to ask. I do know from speaking to some owners in the past, they often complained about the vet bills. It might depend on how many horses you have, but they said something was always coming up. Throw in the feed and trainer fees, of course. Good luck with it, if you get involved.
  • wire2wirewire2wire Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    I was reading an article about MONMOUTH PARK fees.All bills and feed vet trainer can run between $1000-$1500 per month per horse.RFEMEMBER HORSES DONT WIN EVERYDAY BUT THEY EAT EVERYDAY...GOOD LUCK...w2w
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    My dad's friends have owned harness horses before and I've witnessed these "vet bills" coming out of nowhere all the time. It was almost weekly when a new shot or something else was required.

And one thing to keep in mind, a 4 claimer and 50 claimer cost nearly the same to maintain. You still have to feed the horse, pay for vet fees, pay the trainer, etc. In the future when I do go about purchasing a horse, I plan on doing so with a small group of good friends to afford a better horse and have a way to split the monthly bills. Getting rocked with an $1800 bill for the month due to medical attention would be alot nicer split four ways :thumbup:
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    My dad's friends have owned harness horses before and I've witnessed these "vet bills" coming out of nowhere all the time. It was almost weekly when a new shot or something else was required.

And one thing to keep in mind, a 4 claimer and 50 claimer cost nearly the same to maintain. You still have to feed the horse, pay for vet fees, pay the trainer, etc. In the future when I do go about purchasing a horse, I plan on doing so with a small group of good friends to afford a better horse and have a way to split the monthly bills. Getting rocked with an $1800 bill for the month due to medical attention would be alot nicer split four ways :thumbup:

That is correct the cheaper the horse the same amount to maintain and maybe more because usuall they have more ailments.

fb
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    All good points. As most of you have already figured out due to my few posts, I have been involved with racing partnerships with several horses through DOGWOOD STABLES. I can't speak for the other partnerships out there, but Cot and his staff have been nothing but up front about fees, costs, and moreover, expectations. His bottom line is that you might make money(doubtful), but you will have fun! It is alot easier to take the hit with a horse on the shelf when you split the costs several ways. If you are looking for the fun and the action, I would recommend a partnership. If you are looking to make money, stay away from ownership unless you are extreemly lucky and just happen to land a Seattle Slew(around $16,000.00) GOOD LUCK!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Duckgawd,

I saw a link for this "New Owners" podcast and thought of your post. It's scheduled for Tuesday (tomorrow). Hope it helps...

Thoroughbred Ownership: The Basics of Racing Partnerships
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    to be on the safe side you need to have 40,000 pushed back for a horse. it rarely is ever that much, but sometimes things come up that is waaaay to expensive. mandurah's surgery a couple of weeks ago was a pretty penny for sure. too bad he is gelded. nice to have a world record mile turfer that has no nuts (sarcasm) :cry: no but seriously anywhere about 30-34k is what you need to be expecting if you are planning on keeping the horse in training throughout the year.
    risk/reward type deal. there are plenty of horses that i keep my eye on in the mornings during workouts and write down to put them in my virtual stable with some notes and i follow those throughout the year. it is pretty interesting to see how many of those were claimed then reclaimed by the original owners. really risky you could go with the sales... here are some figures of how much some recent KD winners went in the yearling sale.
    Funny Cide (2003) - $22,000, War Emblem (2002)- $20,000, Real Quiet (1998) - $17,000, Silver Charm (1997) $16,500 and Thunder Gulch (1995) - $40,000