Weekend contest for July 17/18?

MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
edited July 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Anyone remember the contests that use to run here on HRTalk? Maybe we should put something together with ther Delmar and Saratoga meet around the corner. I dont know what to offer for the contest? Maybe I can offer a $20 win ticket on the Travers or something as a prize? Anyone with any ideas?

Comments

• FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    While being a student and unpaid intern doesn't allow me the flexible funding to add to the prize, I am willing to volunteer my time to tally the contest, research races for contest, or any other labor involved.

I agree it'd be a great way to get the forum jumping and a little friendly competition.
    Perhaps we can get a sticky on this one DC?
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Sure, great idea. I'll offer a free weekend subscription on the opening weekend of Saratoga. Why don't we go with a contest that uses the highest combined winning mutuels for 5 races on Saturday and 5 on Sunday, for a total of 10 contest races this coming weekend. Feel free to use any race you like, just specify when making your picks.
    edited July 2010
    Sure, great idea. I'll offer a free weekend subscription on the opening weekend of Saratoga. Why don't we go with a contest that uses the highest combined winning mutuels for 5 races on Saturday and 5 on Sunday, for a total of 10 contest races this coming weekend. Feel free to use any race you like, just specify when making your picks.

Mythical WPS or just Win?
    5 races each day sounds good.
    Maybe put up a contest selection thread come Thursday?
    What about scratches for backups? I'll be at Arlington all day Saturday and a graduation party Sunday. Can we maybe have 2 scratch selections that are only included with the scratch of an original contest play?
    edited July 2010
    I'l leave it up to you guys, whatever you want is fine with me. If you'd like the option to bet WP or across-the-board, we could go $6 per race, so then you could bet all $6 to win, $3 WP, $2 WPS, or whatever. I think the Del Mar contest does something similar, they give you $100 per race and you can split it up however you like (no exotics though). Let's just get a consensus by Thursday, so everyone can be on the page once they start posting their selections.

My #1 suggestion would be that everyone posts their plays all at once (5 at a time), rather than one here and two there and so on and so forth. That'll make it easier to keep track of everyone's score.
  • wire2wirewire2wire Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    SOUNDS GOOD...w/p/s bets are eassiest to tally...w2w
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    The $6 rule sounds good to me.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    2$ w/p/s i think the races should be picked just so everyone has a time to post by and have to post all five races at once...
    edited July 2010
    rayphil wrote: »
    2$ w/p/s i think the races should be picked just so everyone has a time to post by and have to post all five races at once...

Kind of agree with Ray here. While I'm inclined to trust everyone here, there is a possibility of posts coming in right at post time/after race has begun. Maybe we do all stakes Saturday (Should be easy to get 5 graded stakes saturday) and 5 Sunday (maybe stakes/high lvl allowance). Just make sure everyone posts all plays no later than 10 minutes before the first stakes race, that way there is a simple cutoff point. For scratch purposes (in case of a later Stakes such as Hollywood) everyone can have a substitute play in case of a scratch for each race. I know there are three graded stakes at Arlington alone Saturday.
    edited July 2010
    Might also help that stakes races tend to have top notch trainers, many of whom provide free past performances for their horses on the web. These can legally be posted and utilized by all those playing.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    I think the 5 picks a day sounds great. 5 on Saturday and 5 on Sunday. 2WPS on each. Maybe someone can start a thread for Saturdays plays and then for Sundays plays. I think it should be open to all tracks and make the deadline for each day like 1230pm EST. Cause many of the tracks start at 1pm EST. Also after you post your 5 picks for that day also post 2 scratch alternatives being 30 minutes before most post times you should know most of the scratches for the day. It it does happen and you have 3 scratches you get an extra pick on Sunday. Sound Good? I will contribute a $20 wager (Your selection) on the Travers stakes for a prize.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    agreed
    edited July 2010
    Ok so quick rule summary...

-10 Overall Selections
    -Any Thoroughbred Race Track
    -5 Saturday and 5 Sunday
    -2 Backup Scratches Posted each Day (In order of replacement)
    -Extra Selection Sunday in event that there three of your selections scratch Saturday
    -All selections and scratch replacements are to be POSTED before 1PM EST (Noon CST, 10 PST)
    -$2 Mythical WPS wager on each selection
    -Highest total return wins

Should anything else be added?? Can't seem to think of anything.
    One race playoff in the odd event it ends in a tie? (Hey I've seen crazier things)

And for quick prize summary...
    -$20 Wager on the Travers (Compliments of Mikenyce)
    -Weekend Subscription Package for Opening Weekend at Saratoga/Del Mar (Compliments of DC)

Anyone else like to add anything to prizes?

We'll get a thread up for Saturday's race selections once we get rules/prizes sorted out.
  • thebox138thebox138 Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    great idea guys .. definitely should create some buzz around here this weekend.. lets all make some money this weekend
    edited July 2010
    thebox138 wrote: »
    great idea guys .. definitely should create some buzz around here this weekend.. lets all make some money this weekend

Just a thought....if something like this becomes more consistent...maybe we institute a post count requirement? It'll give players an incentive to come on here, contribute, and maybe become part of the regular posting crowd. I remember when we used to have the bi-weekly contests, a few of the players had zero posts outside contest posts and used the forum simply as a means to win free money.
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    FANTASTIC IDEA THIS IS A BUZZ ALREADY :yes: AN THE CHALLENGE IS GONNA BE FUN

Are we getting another forum or sub forum for the contest an its content? :cool2:
    example:rules, picks,races,tracking
    edited July 2010
    Looks good from here. I'm not sure about the post-count thing though. After all, we'd like to attract new posters to the site. Maybe something easy like ten posts?
    edited July 2010
    Rule summary posted by Flyin Late looks good. If the contest does become more consistent maybe we can get some newbies or someone to ante up somemore prizes. Good Luck everyone!
    edited July 2010
    Looks good from here. I'm not sure about the post-count thing though. After all, we'd like to attract new posters to the site. Maybe something easy like ten posts?

Not saying for this one, just further down the line if these become a weekly/bi-weekly thing. It'll encourage people to keep posting and not only come here for free contests.

Open this one to all. Good luck everyone!
    edited July 2010
    I guess the person who finishes in first gets the choice of the 2 prizes.
    edited July 2010
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    I guess the person who finishes in first gets the choice of the 2 prizes.

Didn't know how you and DC wanted me to list prizes.
    Does winner take both?
    Does winner have choice and then other prize is void?
    Does winner have choice and second place gets other prize?
    We'll add that to rule.
    edited July 2010
    We could do winner has there choice of each prize and then run another contest next week for the other prize. Or we can go with winner has the choice and the 2nd place finisher ends up with the other. Up to you guys.
    edited July 2010
    We could do winner has there choice of each prize and then run another contest next week for the other prize. Or we can go with winner has the choice and the 2nd place finisher ends up with the other. Up to you guys.

Up to you and DC. Once this is made up I'll post a final rules and saturday/sunday selection thread.
    edited July 2010
    I guess its a go. Winner has there choice of the 2 prizes and 2nd place gets whats left. If me or DC finish in 2nd place then we will figure what will happen. Example if Flyin Late wins and I come in 2nd and he chooses the free weekend from DC. FlyinLate, just post the basic rules when starting the Sat/Sun post if not there might be stuff everywhere. . Good Luck
    edited July 2010
    Both Selections threads are up!
    Good luck everyone.
    If anyone sees any errors in rules please let me know asap (outside the use of 7pm and midnight in Tuesday totals day. It should read 7pm EST.)
    edited July 2010
    If me or DC finish in 2nd place then we will figure what will happen. Example if Flyin Late wins and I come in 2nd and he chooses the free weekend from DC.

I won't be entering, so no problem there. Very nice job setting up the contest, guys. Should be fun to watch.