Twirling Candy

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited July 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
What would you guys think about this horse being pointed to the Travers? I was thinking about this earlier. It's obvious that Sadler will want to keep him seperated from Sidney's Candy, and although he proved that he can run on turf effectively (not surprising considering the sire), you wouldn't really want to keep a top 3yo on grass if you had a choice. And as strong as he looked late today, i don't really see him sprinting anymore either. He also gave the impression that he can go farther. I think the Travers makes a lot of sense.

Comments

• KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    i think so 2 , the Travers would be nice, wow what a race , Twirling Candy looked real good an Powerful,

i like Twirling Candy so much i didn't bet it to win, i knew it was gonna be pounded @the window went off @4/5...so i try to get a value 1 in an Hockley let me down but 3 Twirling Candy an 6 Macias
    were in my radar .. great race ....

the order of finish was 3698

picks on my radar
    5 Hockley
    3 Twirling Candy
    8 Just Magic
    6 Macias
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    He looked real strong today. Unfortunately, like KP, I passed. I told myself I'd get down on him at 6/5 or higher and when he went off at 4/5 I passed. I wouldnt be surprised to see him in the Travers. The timing of the race is perfect, he's proven himself against better now, has shown versatility (turf, hes 2/2 with surfaces), as well as proven his ability to stretch out.

2 Other Notes

-Race 2
    Yankee Bravo, an old favorite of yours, showed a little more life today first time under Sadler (who isnt great with first time for trainer). Swung wide and actually looked like the winner for a second as they straightened out. May be a good play next out.

-Race 5
    Lions Story. This was actually my only wager of the day. I thought I was done when he started really pulling the rider. Nearly everytime I see these strong-headed middle moves the horse strikes the front and fades badly at the top/middle of the stretch. Coming from a horse with seconditis I thought this race would be a repeat but he stayed on strongly and kept going. Maybe this horse needs to strike the front earlier and play catch me if you can instead of trying to run down the leader late. Any thoughts?
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Lions Story was extremely rank last time out. I think the rider (and notice there was a switch today) might just need to give him his head a little bit and let him go. No sense in fighting the horse.
    edited July 2010
    DC, I've been meaning to ask you.

Can I perhaps hold off on my free subscription weekend?

New Illinois Racing Board Rule Impacts Wagering on Several Tracks for Illinois Players | twinspires

I had to go to OTB today to watch the races, and only got to do so because I got out of work early.
    I won't be so lucky for the weekend as I have several things planned. Without having access to my online wagering I'll be lucky to get a days worth of bets in. If this gets resolved by Friday I'll be fine, but just really wont get use out of the pass this weekend as online wagering has been everything for me.
    edited July 2010
    No problem, just let me know when you want it.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    He would've been a force to deal with, but Sadler has other plans. He's pointing him to the Sept. 5th Delmar Derby. Actually, I would had love to had senn him run against his stablemate in that Grade2. He would've put those guys in his pocket.
    edited July 2010
    No problem, just let me know when you want it.

Thanks DC. I'm hoping this gets resolved quickly. It figures this all occurs during the opening of 2 of my top three favorite tracks.
    edited July 2010
    Just saw this quote on the Del Mar website; looks like his plans are still up in the air right now:

JOHN SADLER (Twirling Candy) “This is a very nice win. Jenny [Craig, owner and co-breeder] loves Del Mar. She lives here and she has a training center a few miles away. When you can win in your own backyard, it’s especially nice. This is a very talented horse. He can run on synthetic, grass or dirt. He’s a serious horse for a lot of serious races. He could stay here and run in the Del Mar Derby [Sunday, September 5] if we keep him on the grass, or he could run in the Travers Stakes [at Saratoga]. He’s a big colt that’s still learning. He’s a good work horse, and he proved today that he’s versatile. He just laid third and was comfortable. I was not surprised by the way he ran.”
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    i think they are going to stay at del mar..due to the owner and that sid craig's favorite track was del mar...would love to see this guy go to toga for the travers...