Breeders Cup futures

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Just wanted to alert you guys to a of couple of nice overlays on the Wynn's Breeders Cup sheet (dated 9/7).

First off, Twirling Candy to win the Classic @ 75/1. This horse has a ton of ability, i mean a ton, and the way things have shaken out recently, it looks like the Classic is his most likely target. He won the Oceanside Stakes at a mile on grass in his two-turn (and stakes) debut, and just took the 1 1/8-mile Del Mar Derby on grass over the weekend. That being said, there's very little chance he'll be pointed to the Breeders Cup Mile, because his stablemate Sidney's Candy is being pointed there after his tour de force in the La Jolla Handicap (his grass debut), and trainer John Sadler won't be looking to enter both of his star colts in the same race.

That being the case, it was announced before the Del Mar Derby that Twirling Candy would be pointed to the Goodwood Stakes @ Oak Tree, which has traditionally been the top West Coast prep for the Classic. The surface switch isn't an issue, as Twirling Candy looked equally sensational winning an allowance race on the main track earlier this year, and the way he's been running, it's hard to expect anything other than a strong performance in that race. That in all likelyhood would land him in the Classic, where of course he'll still have to beat the mighty Zenyatta. No easy task, to put it mildly, but i can honestly say that of all the horses i've seen this year, Twirling Candy would probably pose the biggest threat to her. He would be running on dirt for the first time (the race is @ Churchill Downs this year), but that probably isn't a huge deal. All in all, a pretty large overlay at the current listed price.

The other one i wanted to mention is Sidney's Candy, who is listed for the Mile (not the Dirt Mile) @ 11/1. He looked fantastic early this year beginning with the San Vicente, and in fact he was my pick to win the Kentucky Derby (where he failed miserably). Given a break after that debacle, he returned after a layoff to run in the 1 1/8-mile Swaps Stakes, where i thought he ran a very solid race despite getting beat a nose as the 1/5 favorite. He set a contested pace along the inside, then opened up on the eventual winner coming off the turn, but i think the distance was probably a bit much for him coming off the long break, and he just got tired late. I expected an improved effort in his next race with the added conditioning under his belt, but in no way did i expect the absolutely monstrous performance that he turned in. It seems that he just adores the grass, and shortening up a bit in distance probably didn't hurt either. Looks like a gigantic threat to win the Mile (which is slightly shorter than the La Jolla, another positive) as long as he gets through the Oak Tree Mile in one piece. Price not huge with two months to go and a race in-between, but there's every chance he could end up being reasonably short price in the Mile, the European invaders notwithstanding. Hard to say without seeing the results of his next race, but somewhere in the neighborhood of 5/2 isn't out of the question by any means. That would make 11/1 look awfully good on raceday. Hard not to like at the current price.

Comments

• FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Just wanted to alert you guys to a of couple of nice overlays on the Wynn's Breeders Cup sheet (dated 9/7).

First off, Twirling Candy to win the Classic @ 75/1. This horse has a ton of ability, i mean a ton, and the way things have shaken out recently, it looks like the Classic is his most likely target. He won the Oceanside Stakes at a mile on grass in his two-turn (and stakes) debut, and just took the 1 1/8-mile Del Mar Derby on grass over the weekend. That being said, there's very little chance he'll be pointed to the Breeders Cup Mile, because his stablemate Sidney's Candy is being pointed there after his tour de force in the La Jolla Handicap (his grass debut), and trainer John Sadler won't be looking to enter both of his star colts in the same race.

That being the case, it was announced before the Del Mar Derby that Twirling Candy would be pointed to the Goodwood Stakes @ Oak Tree, which has traditionally been the top West Coast prep for the Classic. The surface switch isn't an issue, as Twirling Candy looked equally sensational winning an allowance race on the main track earlier this year, and the way he's been running, it's hard to expect anything other than a strong performance in that race. That in all likelyhood would land him in the Classic, where of course he'll still have to beat the mighty Zenyatta. No easy task, to put it mildly, but i can honestly say that of all the horses i've seen this year, Twirling Candy would probably pose the biggest threat to her. He would be running on dirt for the first time (the race is @ Churchill Downs this year), but that probably isn't a huge deal. All in all, a pretty large overlay at the current listed price.

The other one i wanted to mention is Sidney's Candy, who is listed for the Mile (not the Dirt Mile) @ 11/1. He looked fantastic early this year beginning with the San Vicente, and in fact he was my pick to win the Kentucky Derby (where he failed miserably). Given a break after that debacle, he returned after a layoff to run in the 1 1/8-mile Swaps Stakes, where i thought he ran a very solid race despite getting beat a nose as the 1/5 favorite. He set a contested pace along the inside, then opened up on the eventual winner coming off the turn, but i think the distance was probably a bit much for him coming off the long break, and he just got tired late. I expected an improved effort in his next race with the added conditioning under his belt, but in no way did i expect the absolutely monstrous performance that he turned in. It seems that he just adores the grass, and shortening up a bit in distance probably didn't hurt either. Looks like a gigantic threat to win the Mile (which is slightly shorter than the La Jolla, another positive) as long as he gets through the Oak Tree Mile in one piece. Price not huge with two months to go and a race in-between, but there's every chance he could end up being reasonably short price in the Mile, the European invaders notwithstanding. Hard to say without seeing the results of his next race, but somewhere in the neighborhood of 5/2 isn't out of the question by any means. That would make 11/1 look awfully good on raceday. Hard not to like at the current price.

Are you aware of anywhere these are bettable online?
    Both are too good to not even take a flyer on.
    75/1 on a horse who is clearly prepping for the Classic after being entered in the Goodwood is as good as it gets, especially with the collapse of many other likely BC contenders.
    Sidney's Candy was also my Derby pick, and seeing him get his groove back in the La Jolla was great.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2010
    I'm not aware of the current offshore prices, if any, but there's a reasonable chance it wouldn't be far removed from the Wynn price. These things tend to get copied a lot, kind of like Super Bowl props.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    a horse who i gained respect for is j p gusto....he found another gear late yesterday and it seems like he is the best on the west....might get a good price cause of dutrows horse...
    edited September 2010
    Twirling Candy is down to 30/1 on the latest Wynn sheet. Sidney's Candy is holding steady for the moment @ 11/1.
    edited September 2010
    Twirling Candy has dropped to 20/1 now. Sidney's Candy is down to 6/1.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Twirling Candy has dropped to 20/1 now. Sidney's Candy is down to 6/1.

I finally found a sportbook that I could sign up for only to discover they only have the Classic and TC is down to 18/1 on it :idoit:
    edited September 2010

In case you're wondering (and i sure was), Rosario's out-of-town mount is aboard Blind Luck in the $750,000 Cotillion Stakes @ Philly Park.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    i posted that in the blind luck vs zenyatta thread....they know mike already has a mount in zen but he hopped off of richards kid who will be rode by alonso..
    edited September 2010
    Smith getting off the Pacific Classic winner to ride Twirling Candy? Hope no one notices, lol.