Uncle Mo's Performance in the Timely

DraynayDraynay Banned
edited March 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
I was there and I am going back today but I just wanted to share with you what I saw. Uncle Mo is not the biggest horse but his hind quarters are huge. He ran with ease and ran with speed when asked. What you did not see if you were not there is Uncle Mo ran 500 yards past the wire. It took forever for him to get back to the winners circle. Uncle Mo is the best horse I have seen since the 1970's. He is the real deal and with a little luck will be our next Triple Crown winner. Soldat or Dialed In are not on this horses level. No horse running today is.

Comments

• Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    Do you know why they steered him to gulf as opposed to the tampa bay yesterday? I never heard any reasons why.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    Horsin~Aro wrote: »
    Do you know why they steered him to gulf as opposed to the tampa bay yesterday? I never heard any reasons why.

He was training over Palm Meadows surface which is jus like the GS strip he ran over on yesterday. Tampa is a real sandy surface and you really need a fit horse coming off a layoff to run over that surface if you havnent been working over it.
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    Horsin~Aro wrote: »

I'd say they just wanted a workout without too many horses & Tampa is probably a more tiring track & they will run him two turns at Aqueduct which is a faster track, probably much like Churchill & that's the plan for "Uncle Moe after the Wood he will be ready to go".:drinking:
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    Yesterday's performance proved nothing to me.
    He set fractions that would have been considered dawdling for 5k claimer @ a mile against a bunch of Alw n1x horses.

Sure he was never hit or even really asked, but several other Derby contenders could have done exact same thing. Had he won in hand after getting some pressure up front and setting average fractions I would have given him credit, but that race was a joke.

A glorified workout is all that was, and to use that performance to make you call him the best horse since the 1970s is simply outlandish.
  • HoudiniHoudini Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    He came home im 22 and change after running in slow mo the first half.Pletchers next move will be interesting hes he going to hide or get the heat?
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited March 2011
    I was in the elevator going up to the 3rd floor when the whole group from the winners circle with Uncle Mo got in. They were laughing and saying why freeze up North next month when we can stay in the sunshine. I believe they are staying put. Florida Derby next. Uncle Mo is something very special.:yes:
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2011
    I have a hard time saying anything bad about Uncle Mo, i like him as a horse very much, but his preparation for the Derby is piss-poor. I read something the other day that's very interesting and probably true....Uncle Mo will face more than twice as many opponents in the Kentucky Derby as he did in his two prep races COMBINED. That's just ridiculous. It also isn't going to help him that he's (as of now, anyway) a one-dimensional frontrunner.

I agree with FL, this race meant absolutely zero. Again, no knock on the horse, i do think he's pretty special. It's gonna be very hard for him to win the Derby though. I really don't like his chances. If he does manage to pull it off, it'll be on sheer talent.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited March 2011
    A one dimensional front runner ? When did he become that ? In the Timely he took the lead by default. At the Breeders Cup he rated at will. It's easy to knock Mo and the path he is taking but Big Brown had no problem with it did he? The harder thing to do would be name the horse that have looked great and taken the right path in your opinion. Soldat? Dialed In? THS? Brethren? Jaycito? Who are these wonder horses who can win the Derby and beat a horse that fires a 108 Beyer at will.:cool2:
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    Will have to wait until after Saturday to answer that question. Right now I would say at least 6 or 7.

Anyone who thinks the Beyer speed figures are accurate is simply misinformed. I have had this diccussion with Randy Moss and he freely admits that his figures are very subjective. Hence, Big Mo's figures are always going to be elevated based on the sports need to have a new superstar, which Big Mo just may turn out to be. Again, I thought he looked great on Saturday, but all horses look good when they work in company with a sub-standard level of competition, and the pedestrian fractions set in the Timely did nothing to make me think that he won't have trouble in a field of 20.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited March 2011
    Winning by 4 wasn't enough? Doing it while in a hand ride? You guys are going to miss a fun ride on Uncle Mo this year looking for something that isn't there.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Uncle Mo is one-dimensional until proven otherwise. He's never raced anywhere but on the lead. It's possible he can stalk, sure, but the jury's still out on that. And it probably still will be on Derby Day, assuming he makes the race.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    OK, I freely admit that I am the biggest fan in the whole wide world of the GREAT JOHNNY V. I would rather have him on any mount than any other jock, with Ramon and Javier a close 2nd. However, JV has a tendancy to put his horses up front to put them in a position to win. In CD, in a field of 20, he ain't the only jock gunning for the front. Spells trouble for Uncle Mo, as he will no doubt take pressure and contact. I, for one, am looking elsewhere!
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited March 2011
    Why? How many horses that you are looking at have a G1 win going 2 turns at Churchill ? Let's put some names to these horses you are looking at. Jaycito? Brethren? Dialed In?