Calvin Borel??

Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
edited April 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Does Calvin even seem to have a sure quality ride in the derby yet? Almost amazes me.

Comments

• Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Elite Alex I couldnt put in the top 10 at this point anyways
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2011
    Nehro.
    edited April 2011
    Even K Desormeaux is pretty quiet. Only a few handful of derby wins between them
    edited April 2011
    That would actually be a smart move I think Dray
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Horsin~Aro wrote: »
    Elite Alex I couldnt put in the top 10 at this point anyways

Elite Alex would require a plague to spread like wildfire at CD to even make it in the gate.

And Draynay, if your on Nehro how could you possibly want Calvin aboard? The horse's odds will be cut in half the minute Borel takes the ride.
    edited April 2011
    I was bein sarcastic about EA to be honest
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2011
    I am a Borel fan. I want to see him do well. Uncle Mo is my horse but if he doesn't make it in the gate I have to choose another and he will be Nehro unless it comes up wet and then I will pick Soldat. But I am just hoping Mo goes so I don't have to worry.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    i talked to someone about what mo has and they said it takes atleast 2 months of drugs and rest to recover...i know these rich owners has there own people but i just see them rushing him and i dont see him going into the gate and if he does he will turn out to be another life at ten....so draynay you better stick to your 2nd options even if mo runs..
    edited April 2011
    It was just as I said after his loss in the Wood, he won't make the starting gate.
    They're going to drag it out with vague responses until a few days before the Derby when they will announce that Mo won't start for his best interest but he will be back later in the year. He will then subsequently be retired to bred without running again. I've seen this too many times to buy into this any longer.

For what its worth, I do agree with Draynay on Nehro. I like his chances a good deal and he should offer fair odds in the Derby. I have four horses, at this point, that will be on my tickets.

Dialed In
    Nehro
    The Factor
    Animal Kingdom

I'm not ready to fully discount The Factor. No matter how he breaks, they'll rush him to the front, and he hasn't lost when he gets the lead. Any horses that go with him will be ridden in to the ground. I can't say I was thrilled with last race, but after not getting the lead and displacing his palate, it should leave him with great odds if he goes in the Derby.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2011
    It's hard not to look at this horses last 3 races and not like the horse. He hasn't won anything but no horse has looked as good losing as Nehro. At the finish line in his last 2 races it looks like he is begging for 1 1/4. In this shallow pool of 3 year old horses he may be the ONLY one looking to go longer. His speed figures are getting better with every race and if he were to add Borel to the ticket he could go off as 2nd choice. The Arkansas confirmed he is on the rise and the added distance looks to help him more than hurt him.
  • rhgrahamrhgraham Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Calvin will have a mount, but for who. Could he get Soldat to relax?
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Nehro = First Dude. Horse will always give you a good effort and make the board but never wins!
    edited April 2011
    I agree with you Mike. A possible real fast pace in the belmont may help but cant see him or any deep closer getting up in the derby.
    edited April 2011
    I completely disagree with the Nehro comments, for what its worth.
    Comparing him to a front runner who struggled to hang on is quite a bit different than an improving closer who has his best foot at the end of the race. In his last two races he was literally the only horse making up any ground by the time the leader hit the 1/8th pole.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2011
    How many horse have you seen at 1 1/8th not going anywhere down the lane ? Nehro has been flying and he will be all over my tickets in May. No horse has looked better in his last 3 races heading into the Derby ....none.
    edited April 2011
    For a closer he can run a 10 second split at the end and it doesnt matter if he didnt do enough work earlier or if he was set to far back hence in this case, he lost the race.
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Nehro will get pounded by the bettors. The average joe loves a closer like this. He might even go favored, especially after Uncle Mo is pulled out a few days before the race.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2011
    Nehro has every right to get pounded. No horse looks like he wants to go 1 1/4 more than he does.