Saturday play from DiscreetPicks.com

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
1-for-1 on Friday, with a winner on Los Bomberos ($7.60)

Churchill - Race 2

#5 Sum of the Parts (3/1 ml)

This 2yo firster by the good sire Speightstown tied for the fastest furlong at the Barrett's sale back in March (10.0), which for some reason is appearing as a workout in his PP's (never seen that before). That's great of course, but what i really like about this colt is that he's coming off 3 straight heads-up drills with Culotte, who ran yesterday and went wire-to-wire in fast time to win by about 5 lengths. And if that isn't enough, according to the clocker comments on the Keeneland website for the April 21 drill, Sum of the Parts was "a little better than Culotte". Going even a bit further, this colt is a son of Enjoy The Moment, who was a very fast multiple stakes winner (sprinting) on the SoCal circuit around 15 years ago. Like this play a lot; just hope he doesn't get bet too hard.

HRT record:

80 for 297 (27%)

$672.60 mutuels ($8.41 avg)

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Incidentally, it's supposed to rain @ Churchill today. Might not come until later on the card though.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    Good Luck today on your pick!

As you know, I am not a big fan of Tommy Amoss, but that comes from his handling of a good friend of mine who is a very good owner/breeder who gave Amoss a promising 3yo a few years back and that one is now running for a $5k tag.

Nevertheless, you are sure to get 3-1 or better due to Wesley Ward having a a firster in here at 2-1(#2 Black Rhino), who is sure to get hammered at the windows. Assman's horse, #6, has a race but showed very little and would have to really improve to be involved. The Flint boys entry 1-1a, is the winner as far a bloodlines go, but both are firsters. However, both have a series of fast works coming up to their debut.

A tri bx of 1--2--5 looks good to me and hope the Wes Ward horse runs 3rd!

Good Luck!
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    Thank you buddy. Never in doubt (ok maybe the break) but I'm on vacation and that just paid for the trip.
  • donniepdonniep Junior Member
    edited May 2011
    Great job by Cat and John. Thanx for sharing!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Sum of the Parts wins easily @ $4.80
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    Congrats Cat!

But how much $$$ did you play? 7/5 ?

This may be the first race in years where the Wesley Ward baby was not bet down to favoritism. Great info on this good looking 2yo. The Flint boys horse was a distant 2nd and the Wes Ward baby was at least 10 lengths back for minor rewards.

Oh, did I mention that the trifecta paid $52.60?

Thanks for the winner!
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    Congrats Cat!

But how much $$$ did you play? 7/5 ?

This may be the first race in years where the Wesley Ward baby was not bet down to favoritism. Great info on this good looking 2yo. The Flint boys horse was a distant 2nd and the Wes Ward baby was at least 10 lengths back for minor rewards.

Oh, did I mention that the trifecta paid $52.60?

Thanks for the winner!

Great calls guys.

And oddly enough John, about a half hour earlier, another Ward firster with a 7/2ml floated up and went off at 5/1....he won drawing away. I'm used to seeing every Ward firster @ 2-1 or less.
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    If he would have broke better he would have been eased 15 ahead at the wire, he's a strong looking horse, you'll be hearing a lot about this one.:drinking:
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    Great calls guys.

And oddly enough John, about a half hour earlier, another Ward firster with a 7/2ml floated up and went off at 5/1....he won drawing away. I'm used to seeing every Ward firster @ 2-1 or less.

Should have noted this was at Calder.