Irwin and Romans word battle

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited June 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
This is great for the sport, we need more interaction like this between trainers and so forth.

Team Valor International’s Barry Irwin (left), the outspoken owner of Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom, was the first to throw down the gauntlet in advance of Saturday’s showdown with Shackleford, saying he wasn’t worried at all about the rematch with the Preakness winner in the Belmont Stakes.

“I’m not concerned at all about Shackleford,” said Irwin at Tuesday’s Belmont Stakes Media Luncheon at 620 Loft & Garden at Rockefeller Center in Manhattan. “Mucho Macho Man is the horse I’m worried about.”

Trainer Dale Romans, who saddled Shackleford to a half-length victory over the Derby winner at Pimlico, was quick to fire back.

“That’s not the dumbest thing that Barry's ever said, but it’s close,” Romans said.

Irwin also hinted at an unorthodox summer campaign for Animal Kingdom.

“After the Belmont Stakes, the Breeders Cup Classic would be a long-term goal at the end of the year,” he said. “But I have my own idea of how to get there that wouldn't include the Haskell or the Travers.”

To which Romans responded: “I’ll meet Animal Kingdom on any track, at any distance.”

--NYRA notes

Comments

• SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited June 2011
    So they'll probably run Animal Kingdom on the turf this summer? Maybe that really rich race down at Colonial, if it still exists? The Secretariat at AP?
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited June 2011
    It's the Virginia Derby and it think it comes to soon after the Belmont for them to entertain that race, but you never know.

fb
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited June 2011
    SirBear wrote: »
    So they'll probably run Animal Kingdom on the turf this summer? Maybe that really rich race down at Colonial, if it still exists? The Secretariat at AP?

I would LOVE to see Animal Kingdom @ the Secretariat this year for million day.