Spa Early Bird talk, Friday

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited July 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
About 25 hours to go! Can't Wait!

For those putting together their plays for opening day, here are a few to consider that I have very solid info from close connections:

5th---#8 Bargain Blitz, 3-1, Neil Howard trained and word is that this one is as fast as any horse in the barn.

6th---#5 Pervis, 7/2, drops into clm for Chad Brown after bad last out in Monmouth alw race. Should get the job done in clm ranks and JC is looking for a banner meet and chooses this one over others.

7th---BEST PLAY OF THE DAY!
#1 poe, 6-1, pp6 KIBOSH, 6-1
Johnny Kimmel trained 2yo NY bred Fillie been working up a storm at Belmont and turning heads. Angel secured the mount for Johnny a couple of weeks ago and he has worked her in the A.M. Plenty of stamina works and she should lead this race from start to finish. No way in hell you will get 6-1 though, as the word is out!

8th---Wide open event should be a grade II at least. Probably going to see speed and a good closer at the finish. Charlie Lopressi has been telling everyone in Ky that Here Comes Ben is ready to fire his best, he won this race last year on his way to winning the Forego later in the meet. Will show early speed and could hold on at a very good price. Expected torrid pace sets things up for a closer, and the only one with that ability is Aikenite, but the Forego is his prime objective so Johnny may not get into him as needed if he is way back early. Who knows?

Hope to have some good info thoroughout the Spa Meet.

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    I was just reminded that the Howard 2yo fillie, Bargain Blitz, got run down in her last by Force da la Nature, who is also entered in the Schuyerville G III on friday's card. Eddie Keenealy fillie is stuck on the rail but offers good value at 5-1, Julien Leparoux rides. Howard barn says that if she ran down Bargain Blitz, then she must be special! Note that Bargain Blitz has come back from Ky race to post amazing works in prep for Spa opening Day.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    Good Stuff Thanks. I also like Kibosh in the 7th a firster by DiscreetCat. Gonna box your horse in the 5th with #7 Party of Interest. Good Luck. Heading up there early sat morning looking to make some BIGGGG cash! Going with Joyful Victory in the feature on Saturday!
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    Good Stuff Thanks. I also like Kibosh in the 7th a firster by DiscreetCat. Gonna box your horse in the 5th with #7 Party of Interest. Good Luck. Heading up there early sat morning looking to make some BIGGGG cash! Going with Joyful Victory in the feature on Saturday!

JV goes from odds on to the longest shot in the race!!!
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    fbwinners wrote: »
    JV goes from odds on to the longest shot in the race!!!

I saw that. Any word on how JV has been doing?
    edited July 2011
    Sorry, I got my facts confused on Here Comes Ben.. He won a prep race last year at CD then went on to take the Forego. This year, he wins the same CD prep race. The horse in here who really intrigues me is Hamazing Destiny. He had problems but has come back to work lights out. I learned a long time ago to not take Wayne Lucas lightly when he puts one back in a big race off the layoff. His works are better than just good. I have no idea who this race will set up for, but I know I will not play aikenite because he is being pointed toward the Forego later in the meet. If Here comes Ben can get his late kick going, he could pass all of them, but this is one tough race to make a call on!
    edited July 2011
    It seems like I saw where JV had a couple of works in Delaware where she blitzed 5f in 1:00 flat or something in that range. No question she hung in her last two, my concern is will she hang again? I'm going to wait till I hear something positive on her before I take the rubber band off one more time. Not to often that I play with scared money, but I have some real concerns that she has gone off form and has lost that late explosive run we saw at OP this past spring.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Interesting stuff on Bargain Blitz. Perhaps she's improved (and her recent drills certainly catch the eye), but she doesn't look all that fast to me? Think the real speedball in here could be My Miss Aurelia.