Best races you've ever seen?

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
Someone posted this question on another forum, and people were posting some great race videos. Seems like a great idea for this place!

Here's one that i had never seen before. I knew about the horse, but he was injured & retired just before i got into horseracing, so i never bothered to do any research on him. Wow!

Dehere - 1993 Saratoga Special Stakes - YouTube

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Here's one that i thought of immediately...

1994 Travers Stakes - Holy Bull - YouTube
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    Almost any Giants Causeway or Tiznow. Sea the stars' Arc win is something too.
    edited September 2011
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Sea the stars' Arc win is something too.

Lol, I watched that one about 20 minutes ago. Here's another Arc that i really loved, with the Japanese super horse Deep Impact. He lost the race, but a friend of mine in Japan tipped me off about him early in the year, and i had been following him for several months going into the race. Incidentally, the Eorpean books stood to lose huge sums of money if Deep IMpact won the race. Both from a number of very-large future bets on the horse, polus the fact that Deep Impact had a cult-like following from Japan that invaded France like it was D-Day or something. I think he opened @ 1/9 on the toteboard (in the motherfucking ARC, of all places). Lot of on-track bookies back then, too. Anyway, here's the race. Deep Impact is in the yellow silks...

2006 Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe - YouTube
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    Left bank back in 02 when he broke the track record. Great race
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    Dubai Millennium winning World Cup

Dubai Millennium 2000 Dubai World Cup HQ - YouTube
    edited September 2011
    Zenyatta's first BC classic. Great race call.
  • Max BMax B Member
    edited September 2011
    Go back and look at the Irish Champion race from last weekend, unbelievable.
  • HoudiniHoudini Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    No races are better then Affirmed vs Alydar!
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    A few more. 1996 Breeders Cup Da Hoss in Da Mile and then coming back 2 years later and winning it again with I think 1 race in between. Amazing
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    Fun Topic. Here are some of mine:

1. 2003 Breeder's Cup Turf -- Brilliant 3-way battle with Euromonster Falbrav laying down the gauntlet and blowing past The Tin Man at the top of the lane, only to be engaged by another Euromonster (who wanted 12f more) High Chapparal. And wait, here comes rank outsider Johar bearing down on them in the final strides. Durkin's call of this race is absolutely brilliant. This was when he was at the peak of his powers.

2. 1997 Preakness -- Another three-ply battle, as Silver Charm guts it out like he did so many times in his career over FreeHouse and Captain Bodgit.

3. 1998 Belmont -- Yeah, we all know about this race. I was there and I'll never forget it.

4. 2010 BC Classic -- Zenyatta comes from nowhere and almost ends her brilliant career on a perfect note. I have never yelled so loud for a horse to win. I also loved her 17th win in a row over St. Trinians when she was carrying all that weight and it didn't look like she'd get there. Vic Stauffer's call of this race was sensational.

5. 2007 Preakness -- Terrific horserace, as Street Sense uses his superior turn-of-foot to apparently blow the race wide open, but Curlin the diesel reels him in at the wire.

6. 2002 Test Stakes -- In one of the gutsiest moves I have ever seen both by horse and rider, YOU, ridden by hall-of-famer Jerry Bailey, finds the tiniest seem imaginable on the inside and scrapes paint down the stretch to somehow win the headbob over Carson Hollow.

7. 1999 (I think) Whitney -- Behrens goes 5-wide on the turn and gets to the lead but Victory Gallop pounces on him and looks like he will win easily, but Behrens battles back and both hit the wire together. It's a race that basically ends the careers of both horses, as neither was the same after that.

8. 2001 Breeder's Cup Classic -- TIZNOW WINS IT FOR AMERICA!!!

9. 1998 Travers Stakes -- Coronado's Quest is allowed a half mile in 48 and 4 and barely holds off Victory Gallop and an impossible late close from Raffie's Majesty, ruining my big exacta box.

10. 1986 Breeder's Cup Classic -- Ferdinand and Alysheba...the two Derby winners hit the line together!!!

The Go For Wand vs Bayakoa BC Distaff race was one of the greatest duels I have ever seen, though the result was the most tragic thing I have ever seen on a racetrack. 1989 Preakness was also incredible, as was Unbridled winning the Breeder's Cup classic with that nice ride from Pat Day.

What a game.
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    And I would be remiss if I did not mention my favorite horse, Sir Bear, who won a couple of big stakes at Gulfstream as an 8 and 9 year old. Vic Stauffer's call was incredible in this one as well. He was a big fan of Sir Bear and he was like "Here comes the old guy!"
  • irish32irish32 Junior Member
    edited September 2011
    I know most of you will be unfamiliar with Steeple Chase racing, but watch the Irish mare Dawn Run winning the 1986 Cheltenham Gold Cup. Unbelievable heart!

Dawn Run 1986 Cheltenham Gold Cup - YouTube
    edited September 2011
    Medaglia D'Oro and Candy Ride

Candy Ride (ARG) Pacific Classic 2003 - YouTube

Oh what could have been....
    edited September 2011
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    the carson hollow vs. you....that was a battle....and i still dont think colonel john got up in the travers...
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    rayphil wrote: »
    ....and i still dont think colonel john got up in the travers...

Forgot about this one. World's greatest headbob.
  • hotbustophotbustop Member
    edited September 2011
    I was at that You Carson Hallow race. Greatest race i ever took in, in person. Bailey did something I have never seen since nor before, he literally held the neck of You down like a head lock so there would be no bobbing and it made the difference. It was amazing. I never saw the jocks from the 80's or before, but Bailey's the best I have ever seen.
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    Speaking of JB may not be the best race but sure was the funniest for me. Sitting close to the wire at the old Gulfstream Jerry is coming down up by a neck and he appears to pull back a little and finishes second. This old guy 3 guys down from me yells out Jerry why the hell did you pull the horse back. Jerry yells back, I did not. the guy yells back yes you did you bastard and you cost me alot of money. It was pretty humorous but was also pretty noticable that he did pull back.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    i best race i have ever been to live was the delaware handicap with blind luck and havre de grace....jb was bad especially when you needed him and he was odds on...but no one was worst then pat day..
  • FarinaFarina Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    Was when Seattle Slew and Affirmed dueled in impossible fractions in the slop and Exceller with an absolutely perfect trip, got up to win and Slew was actually coming back at the wire.
    In my opinion, Seattle Slew was the best horse I've ever seen.
  • BettorBobBettorBob Member
    edited September 2011
    I've seen better races but not many have moved me to tears and Tiznow Breeders Cup 2001 after the 9/11 attacks" Tiznow wins it for America". Great call Durkin.
    edited September 2011
    That one was a great race, definitely springs to mind when thinking about the all-time best races. The horse just refused to lose that day, and Sakhee was not exactly a pushover (he was coming off a huge win in the Arc).

Also, Tiznow had been REFUSING to train in the days leading up to the race. No one was quite sure what to expect fro the horse, and in fact there was some specualtion that he would scratch from the race. I guess he was saving it all for raceday, lol...

2001 Breeders' Cup Classic - YouTube
    edited September 2011
    First time I ever bet "big" money on a horse. The stupid horse got left at the gate and I was so upset. That changed pretty quickly, but this call gets really funny when Vic realizes whats happening.

Zenyatta - 2007 Hollywood Park Allowance - YouTube
    edited September 2011
    edited September 2011
    edited September 2011
    Loved this race as-it-happened. Think he still holds the track record there...

TVG Breeders' Cup Moment - Kona Gold - YouTube
    edited September 2011
    Here's the one i loved most of all....my biggest score ever!

2001 Breeders' Cup Sprint - YouTube
    edited September 2011
    Here's a really incredible performance, by a really incredible horse. Keep in mind, this was a 3YO FILLY facing older males, in Europe's championship race. Watch how she's buried down along the inside (green silks, and wearing a white shadow roll) before forcing her way out and then showing everyone who's best. Btw, this filly beat Goldikova on more than one occasion. Retired undefeated after winning the Arc.

Btw, check out the rider (Cristophe Soumillon) after they cross the finish line....

2008 Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe - YouTube
    edited June 2013
    Here's a really incredible performance, by a really incredible horse. Keep in mind, this was a 3YO FILLY facing older males, in Europe's championship race. Watch how she's buried down along the inside (green silks, and wearing a white shadow roll) before forcing her way out and then showing everyone who's best. Btw, this filly beat Goldikova on more than one occasion. Retired undefeated after winning the Arc.

Btw, check out the rider (Cristophe Soumillon) after they cross the finish line....

2008 Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe - YouTube

Awesome Sunday Thread