Woodbine Nearctic GI & Okie Derby

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited October 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Woodbine 5th
Nearctic Stakes GI 3 & up 6f turf $500k purse 2:59 EDT

#1 Fiddler's Patriot, 6-1
Weaver sends this sprinter north and gets rail and Johnny V. Will try to take them all the way on the front. Barn is worried about

#10 Regally Ready, 8-1,
Assman horse is on the improv and Weaver barn thinks he will be closer today with blin on and make a big move late.

#7 Right One, 4-1
Clement and Leparoux on grass in Canada. Need I say more?

#11 Bated Breath, 3-1
is the ml fav euro and gets Garrett Gomez. PP's are hard to follow, but it looks like he will come late and this 6f distance should work against a closer. A play against in my book!

Ex & Tri box 1/7/10
Super 1/10---1/7/10---4/8/11---4/8/11

OKIE DERBY 3 yo 1 1/8 $400k purse Race 10 6:49 EDT

Baffert sends #4 Prayer For Relief, 9/5, and Bejarano in to pick up a nice check. Others of note include:

#5 Alternation, 5-1, stone cold closer gets blin on today. could make a difference.

#7 Redeemed, 10-1, Tony Dutrow takes over for bro Rick. Blin on also, dangerous for a piece.

#9 Social Saul, 20-1, WTF is this horse going off at 20-1?

Not much value on Baffert, going to take a shot at a super
4---5/7/9/11---2/7/9/11---1/2/5/6/8

Good Luck To All!

Comments

• tmffmtmffm Banned
    edited October 2011
    Of the three coming out of the WO Mile, #2, Grand Adventure, got the worst trip. Right One got the best trip and is the lowest odds of the three. Riding the River is probably going to be >20:1 and will be very tempting; however, I've been following GA and think today is the day for him.

I have NO IDEA what the EURO runners are capable of here.
  • tmffmtmffm Banned
    edited October 2011
    WO R8:

Miss Keller, #11, was blocked pretty much the length of the stretch last out against Never Retreat. NR came back and easily won the stake @ KEE last week. Don't know much about the EUROS here, either.

bet #11 to win and exacta UNDER the favorite #9
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited October 2011
    tmffm wrote: »
    WO R8:

Miss Keller, #11, was blocked pretty much the length of the stretch last out against Never Retreat. NR came back and easily won the stake @ KEE last week. Don't know much about the EUROS here, either.

bet #11 to win and exacta UNDER the favorite #9

Nice call.
    I was on the 3, so unfortunately that one stung.
    Run down in the last stride in the E.P. Taylor and one stride short in the Nearctic on Bated Breath. Two tough beats today for me.
  • tmffmtmffm Banned
    edited October 2011
    I'm one of Johnny V's harshest critics; and I have been for a number of years. This has to do with his riding and his comments after a given race about setups. For example, he made the wide, no cover trip popular; and his comments a few years ago, when Informed Decision beat Ventura @ KEE (after Gomez butchered the ride on the latter) were just flat out COMICAL.

But he's stepped up his game SIGNFICANTLY. He's FINALLY comfortable riding on the rail. He's, arguably, the best finisher in the game presently. And, his comments after he rode Musketier to victory 6/26 @ WO, were extremely insightful. He said that Musketier didn't have a sustained run and that when they entered the stretch, he didn't ask him to run at all, let him do it all on his own, as, given the very long stretch run on the WO turf, he'd never be able to sustain a bid to the wire. Thus, he waited until the last possible minute before asking Musketier for his best.

Similar situation today. He made a menacing move on Miss Keller. It appeared that he was going to blow by the leaders early/mid stretch but he didn't. He just hung around with her and ONLY asked her just before the wire; when it mattered. The headon shows this. It shows him really getting into her, but BY PUMPING ONLY, just before the wire; as best as I can determine he never hit her.

This was an incredible ride.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited October 2011
    tmffm wrote: »
    I'm one of Johnny V's harshest critics; and I have been for a number of years. This has to do with his riding and his comments after a given race about setups. For example, he made the wide, no cover trip popular; and his comments a few years ago, when Informed Decision beat Ventura @ KEE (after Gomez butchered the ride on the latter) were just flat out COMICAL.

But he's stepped up his game SIGNFICANTLY. He's FINALLY comfortable riding on the rail. He's, arguably, the best finisher in the game presently. And, his comments after he rode Musketier to victory 6/26 @ WO, were extremely insightful. He said that Musketier didn't have a sustained run and that when they entered the stretch, he didn't ask him to run at all, let him do it all on his own, as, given the very long stretch run on the WO turf, he'd never be able to sustain a bid to the wire. Thus, he waited until the last possible minute before asking Musketier for his best.

Similar situation today. He made a menacing move on Miss Keller. It appeared that he was going to blow by the leaders early/mid stretch but he didn't. He just hung around with her and ONLY asked her just before the wire; when it mattered. The headon shows this. It shows him really getting into her, but BY PUMPING ONLY, just before the wire; as best as I can determine he never hit her.

This was an incredible ride.

Shocked that you're giving a jockey his due. In all fairness, I think you have valuable insight, and we've seen you hit plenty, but you come off as a fucking dickhead. If I could get 8-1, I would bet you're 35-50, you live with your parents, work (off and on) on computer technology, and wager on every race at every track. You even like to slight our best members quite often (sometimes after they loose money).

Please, for all of us, keep up the great handicapping - feel free to make even better write ups, and lay off the bad guy roll a little - We'll all welcome that, but right now it's hard to take you seriously.

Keep up the great picks. Lay off the bullshit - and jockey hate.

Dirty
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited October 2011
    At Woodbine Nearctic, I failed to give the Euro his dues and he ran a hell of a good one to get 2nd. The Assman horse was primed for a big effort and it showed, in w2w fashion.

In the OKIE Derby, had the right four horses, just not in the right order. Blinkers on for the first two made a hell of a difference as they were placed much closer and still had the late kick to defeat the odds on Baffert favorite. I wish I had boxed the super and hope some of you did so. The Gary Contessa horse, SocialSaul, at 20-1 or so, was a hell of a way to complete the super.

As far as any comments on Johnny Velasquez are concerned, I will gladly defer to the likes of a few folks who may know a little more about this sport than we do, specifically, TAP, Shug, Baffert, Darley, Shadwell, Motiom, Phipps, Campbell, Zito, Contessa, Repole, and countless others, and you need only look to who they want on their horses when given a choice!
    Now, Johnny is not without his faults as is evidenced by his inability to keep Uncle Mo's work yesterday in a decent time, but that is a problem for another thread. Can you believe that work!! I guess Tom Durkin was right when he said " HE'S BACK"
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Great call on Regally Ready!

Nearctic S.
    6 Furlongs Turf | 3 Year Olds And Up | STAKES | Open

# HORSE JOCKEY WIN PLACE SHOW
    10 Regally Ready C. Nakatani $21.60 $9.10 $5.90
    11 Bated Breath (GB) G. Gomez $4.10 $3.50
    8 Gypsy Ring J. Stein $9.50