Uncle Mo emerges from Kelso win with fast workout

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited October 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Uncle Mo sizzles in five-furlong workout for Breeders' Cup Classic | Daily Racing Form

Certainly an interesting contender in the Classic. I still think it's a pretty tall order for him to stretchout out to 1 1/4 miles in such rapid fashion following his long, illness-caused layoff (especially when he's never won past a mile to begin with), but he seems to be progressing at an unblievable rate. And no one has ever questioned the horse's talent. Will be interesting to see what happens. What are you guys' thoughts about his Classic chances?

Comments

• FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited October 2011
    Personally, he is a huge bet against in the Classic. To go from a 7f to a mile race to a mile and 1/4 against the best horses in the world seems like too much to overcome. Couple this with the likely fact that he may even go off favored and he has still NEVER gone a Mile 1/4 and it is too much for me.

Do I think he's a freak? Absolutely.
    Do I think he has a shot? Sure.
    Will he be on my tickets at his short price? Very unlikely.

The Kelso was very very impressive, but I just can't see him winning a race a full quarter mile further while being part of a likely hot pace scenario.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited October 2011
    Still think its about the ego's with horse. Trainer/Owner. Im with FL on this horse I dont think he can go that far. If they run him in the classic which I think is almost 100% he will go off as the favorite. Good for the bettors like us who will throw him out but bad for the connections! Bury the ego and let the horse run in the mile and cruch whoever he runs against.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, good point about Uncle Mo being the potential post-time favorite. I mentioned he had never past a mile; actually he did win the BC Juvenile very impressively last year, but that remains his ONLY two-turn win. Pretty damn hard to record your first two-turn win of the year in the BC Classic, i would think. I doubt that's ever been done before. And that's not even mentioning the short timeframe since the layoff. It just seems that he'll be totally up against it in that race. While perhaps going favored. Nice combination there. Now, all we have to do is pick the winner, lol.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited October 2011
    I'll go Flat Out, Every Baffert, and the filly right?