Austin Brown update

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
AUSTIN BROWN

11/30/2011 PMM 4F :50.96 Turf Firm B
11/23/2011 PMM 4F :51.03 Dirt Fast B
11/15/2011 PMM 3F :39.23 Dirt Fast B
11/05/2011 PMM 3F :39.88 Dirt Fast B

Looks like he worked heads-up with an unraced 2yo barnmate named Advanceandretreat (on turf, interestingly enough) in his most recent drill.

Prior to that, it looks like he worked heads-up with another unraced horse named Late Night Action in the 11/15 drill.

Not much to report as of yet, but obviously it's still very early in this one's training regimen. Looking forward to following him along throughout the meet. I'm thinking maybe a late-January or early-February debut, assuming everything goes smoothly?

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    uNFORTUNATELY, word not good.

TAP is sending him to a Vet in Florida on monday for a nuc scan to see if there is any reason why he is not fully extending himself when pushing off hind legs. His works are far from terrible and would make him a winner at most tracks, but TAP had the Florida Stakes program in his future with an eye on Ky Derby. TAP wants to know now so if he needs time off he can get it now and hopefully come back in early 2012. A real Catch 22, we want the vet to find some reason for the slow works which is minor, and easily fixable. We sure as hell do not want to hear that he is ok but just slow. Keeping our fingers crossed!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited December 2011
    Rooting for an injury, wow. I see what you mean though. Hopefully he just has a stress fracture or something along those lines...
    edited December 2011
    Austin Brown had the scintigraphy and the results were pretty much negative, just showed some bruising on the hind legs(which is common) and slight remodeling(calcium) in right back ankle. The plan is to administer Banamine, a anti-inflammatory drug, and to keep him on a two mile daily gallop for 10 days before his next breeze. I am told the brusing on the hind legs is akin to bucked shins on the front legs, but most do not pin-fire when they appear on the hind legs. All in all, not terrible news. We just hope he comes alive like Discreet Dancer did, who btw had works not much faster that AB's before he set a track record in his first start.
    edited December 2011
    Good news, i guess?

Btw, with regard to Discreet Dancer, i just posted a little info in the Horses to Watch thread. Let us know if you've heard anything about that other horse...thanks!
    edited December 2011
    He's back sooner than expected... :toast:

Austin Brown (2-Year-Old Colt)

Date: December 10, 2011
    Track: PALM MEADOWS TRAINING CENTER
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 48:35 Breezing
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Cat, you just made my day, hadn't seen the work yet, although Tristan said they were going to put him back into training sooner than thought . Seems he was kicking down the stall wanting to get out on the track. That banamine must be a hell of a miracle drug. He took two full seconds off his last work. Shit, if it works that good i\I might start taking a daily dose! I'll find out who he worked with this morning and let you know. Full Speed Ahead!

How about you putting us on to a live shot today? The only thing I have will be super short in a bullshit cheap clm race at Aqueduct. 9th, #2 Taconic Knight, 3-1, 3rd start back from bone chip work and Tonja Terranova says this one is no longer working like a cheap claimer. Moreover, gets IRAD!!!!!
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    I'm crashing the winner's circle a the derby.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    I'm crashing the winner's circle a the derby.

Im with you
    edited December 2011
    It's a party then.

My question is this; should you automatically give your horse a shitty name to get value. For instance, Austin Brown sounds classy and might get bet. What if he was Charleythenicehorsey? Any difference?
    edited December 2011
    I'll find out who he worked with this morning and let you know. Full Speed Ahead!

He worked with an unraced War Chant filly named Princess Minerva.
    edited December 2011
    Ih his last couple of drills, Austin Brown went five furlongs heads-up with the unraced Lightning Ron on 12/17. That was followed by a heads-up drill with Big Creek on 12/24, who has run 3rd and 4th in a pair of starts thus far.
    edited December 2011
    I am told to not read anything into the X-mas eve works, as PMM put over 200 on the track that morning and did not even have a renovation break. Yet, Lightning Ron is entered on Friday at GP race 2, a opt $75k clm going 1 1/16 on the turf. Lightning Ron is not out of Lawyer Ron, as you would think from the name, but is bred to really be a turf king, out of Aragorn and a ton of turf pedigree on the dam side. His works have been steady and this one is on the very short list at TAP barn. Good inside post, #2, and will be a big play on my part. Last work was typical of TAP and was just a glorified warm-up coming up to a race.
    edited December 2011
    I have some conflicting info on Lightning Ron:

Back on 12/2, he worked heads-up from the gate with Ecabroni, who emerged from that drill to run second in a MSW a week later.

However, back on 12/9, he worked heads-up (on turf) with Advanceandretreat, who just yesterday ran 12th in a 1 1/8 maiden-claimer on grass.

The latter drill certainly doesn't bode well for Lightning Ron, considering that they worked on gras together and are entered in similar-type turf races less than a week apart.
    edited December 2011
    Good luck on Lightning Ron today if you decide to play him. Hope he wins.
    edited December 2011
    Thanks DC, @ 6-1 I will probably play him across, and hedge my play with an Ex Bx 3/7/11.

Austin should work tomorrow morning, maybe from gate.
    edited January 2012
    AB's latest workmate was an unraced colt named Liberty Bound.
    edited January 2012
    Latest work was not very fast and AB's workmate is another Dogwood colt out of Mr. Greely who is probably headed to weeds. I'm told the work was just a stretch leg lung work and neither horse was asked for anything more than just a fast gallop. TAP thinks AB is in need of a gate work with encouragement. He will probably get a gate work this weekend and then a slow 3f work the next week, with his debut sometime around a 3yo msw race scheduled for 7 f on Jan 20.

Alot of firsters we have been following are set to debut this weekend. Late Night Action!!!
    edited January 2012
    Good news, i guess?

Btw, with regard to Discreet Dancer, i just posted a little info in the Horses to Watch thread. Let us know if you've heard anything about that other horse...thanks!

Horse that ran second to Discreet Dancer (by 9 lengths) going in the first at SA today. Put it There is currently @ 5/2 with 5 MTP.
    edited January 2012
    Updating AB's worktab, his most recent drill (Dec 8) came heads-up from the gate with an unraced Awesome Again filly named Down by Law.

What's beginning to really strike me about AB's body of work over the last couple of months is that, as many heads-up drills as he has with various barnmates, we still have almost zero information to go by. It's never the same horse twice, and none of his workmates have done anything of any consequence. I'm guessing that latter part is probably a negative, but we really have nothing to go by. Hopefully John can fill us i a bit more once he's finally entered in a race...
    edited January 2012
    AB's last work was a eight horse gate work, unfortunately, AB finished 8th of 8. Just doesn't seem to be fast enough to compete with the GP mdn company, so we're going to send him out on Sunshine Millions Day, Satyurday January 28, in a $50k clm event. Debut going 1 1/16, but we just want to get him into the dynamics of a race and see what he will do. One of the better gate works came from Liberty Bound, who looks like one to watch. Doesn't appear that Austin Brown will be part of the big time, but you never know?
    edited January 2012
    8 horses? Wow. I didn't even know they did that, except maybe in an organized training race like they used to have @ Fair Grounds.

Interesting to note though, Liberty Bound was one of AB's recent training partners.
    edited January 2012
    AB worked with Rockfield (unraced) this morning.
    edited January 2012
    It looks like it may have been another multi-horse gate work, I'll know later. 4f from gate in 49.03, 16/50

two really good works came from Colony Strike and Liberty Bound, 47.4, 2/50, these two from TAP are definitely ones to watch for!
    edited January 2012
    Rockfield was working on even terms the last few times with both Colony Strike and Liberty Bound. Don't know what that means until I hear from the folks on the scene?
    edited January 2012
    Austin Brown worked this morning with a three horse breeze. Things may be looking up?
    AB started off a little behind the two others, but ran very well and was getting to the others at the end of 5 f. and was said to finish out better than his workmates. What gets me all fuzzy feelinged up is that he worked with Colony Strike and Rockfield, who were working heads up with or better than liberty Bound, who if you didn't see his debut yesterday at GP he simply destroyed the field.

Austin Brown 1:01.51 8/34
    Colony Strike 1:00.89 5/34
    Rockfield 1:00.89 5/34

Dirty may be right! Could be the next Prairie Meadows Derby Winner!
    edited January 2012
    Didn't Pletcher ship Exhi up there?
    edited January 2012
    Don't know? But no works anytime lately. Good Question, I'll find out.
    edited January 2012
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Horse that ran second to Discreet Dancer (by 9 lengths) going in the first at SA today. Put it There is currently @ 5/2 with 5 MTP.

Put it There (still a maiden) goes in today's 6th, a starter allowance, at SA. Interesting way of protecting this one - and gets the top jock.
    edited January 2012
    Austin Brown draws into a race on Wednesday. Race 2 mdn clm $50k 6f. We wanted him to draw in, just didn't want him to draw the rail! Tough luck for a firster to get caught down inside. Hope he can show enough speed to get position. and we may know a little more after this weekend. Three of his workmates are set to go on Sat & Sun. On Sat., Race 2, both TAP runners are set to go, #1 Mordi's Miracle has one start where he shot out of the gate so quick he lost the rider. Has come back to fire a sizzling work, but this race is 7 1/2 f and he is cross-entered in a race going 6 1/2 on sunday. If he opts for the shorter race on Sunday, where he would face Rockfield, that leaves #8 Colony Strike making his debut in the 2nd on Sat. Do not leave the windows on this well meant Kentucky Derby hopeful.

I do not know the politics at this time but will later on today, as to why TAP lists Javier on Austin Brown, and Johnny gets on next door on a firster for longtime friend Braddy.

On Sunday, watch race 5 with Mordi's Miracle and Rockfield. If these two show good speed and stamina going 6 1/2, that would bode well for Austin Brown!
    edited January 2012
    Austin Brown has been entered in a $50,000 maiden claimer on Wednesday, going 6 furlongs. He drew the rail.