Latest from TAP PMM

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited February 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
As of Monday, Feb 13, here is what I know from PMM

1. Gemologist, Does not look good. Worked this morning and was slow and unresponsive when asked. Physical problem feared?

2. Dan And Sheila, Came back from FG LeComte a little sore, one work since and not impressive. Did not go this morning and time off may be in order. Another physical problem feared?

3. Algorithms, worked this morning, nice and easy--asked for nothing, and reeled off 4f in a easy 49.1. Will be primed for big effort in FOY!

4. Discreet Dancer, missed a work with a slight fever, came back today and blew a hole into the wind. Could be a Preakness type, TAP unsure where he will go next but has concerns that he is a Derby type? Could be a top mile type horse? Jury still out?

5. El Padrino, worked this morning and was fast and looked very good. Going to FG for Risin Star on Feb 25--This one is dead fit and depending on next start in New Orleans, could wheel right around and contest in the Rebel? No concerns about distance limitations with this bloodline, but needs to step it up in graded races if he is going to be a Derby player! Needs more earnings

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    As of Monday, Feb 13, here is what I know from PMM

5. El Padrino, worked this morning and was fast and looked very good. Going to FG for Risin Star on Feb 25--This one is dead fit and depending on next start in New Orleans, could wheel right around and contest in the Rebel? No concerns about distance limitations with this bloodline, but needs to step it up in graded races if he is going to be a Derby player! Needs more earnings

Nice to know, as I have him @ 15-1 or something...:cry:
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    Discreet Dancer will probably go in FOY, and they will send him out to the front with Johnny V. in the saddle and let him go as far as he can as fast as he can. That failing, he will be pointed toward some lucrative shorter races at a mile to 1 1/16. But the Preakness is a real possibility if he carries his speed further than he has to date.

TAP has several others who I have not even mentioned who are more than capable of racking up a big win and coming into the Derby on a roll! Alot will be known after the FOY and Risen Star. Jerry Hollandorfer bringing Longviwe Drive to S W Stakes after a good closing 3rd in the Sham. The talk at OP now is getting serious regarding splitting the Southwest into two (2) divisions. We could see as many as 24 horses running in two races for graded purse money!
  • Polamalu43Polamalu43 Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    John,

Thanks for the information. I have heard the same regarding Gemologist. It came 2nd hand, so take that with a grain of salt, but nonetheless, it is making the rounds!

We shall see, but as the case every year, we will see defections from the Derby trail!

Have a good week gang!
    edited February 2012
    On a side note, Union Rags went 5 f in 1:03 flat
    Discreet Dancer 5f in 1:00 4/5
    Liberty Bound went 5f in 1:00 2/5

Connections of Liberty Bound wanting to find a 1st level allowance race going long, but may have to jump right into something a little harder, but I'm not sure anything is any harder than those first level allowances at GP, man those have been like graded stakes like competition!
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    Clocker I spoke with says Gemologist looked awesome today in the set that TAP brought to the track at PMM.
    edited February 2012
    Interesting?
    I heard just the opposite. But, the equibase clockers and the TAP clockers are off as much as 2/5 of a second, either way, on several who worked this morning. Word I got was that they wanted Gemologist to do a little more, and he was akked for more to no avail. 4 f in 49 2/5 39/71 at distance. They won't say what his problem has been, but only 2 published works since CD win is a concern for this one, and I know that TAP would really like for him to do well since he comes from Winstar. The real sleeper in this TAP mass just might be Liberty Bound! But, given my recent thoughts, he will probably bounce big time!
    edited February 2012
    Liberty Bound will run next on the FOY undercard in a 1st level allow going 7 furlongs. This race may turn out to have more Derby horses than the FOY?
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    My favorite Pletcher horse at this time is El Padrino (The Godfarther)!!!! I will be in the paddock on the 25th at the FG to get a great look at him.

fb
    edited February 2012
    agree FB
    I did a follow up call on Gemologist and was told that he , indeed, has a problem.

Tentatively penciled in for first start in March 17 Rebel Stakes. That's alot to ask of a horse coming off a near 4 month layoff to tackle the likes he will face in Rebel. But, they have a month to get him ready!

I might be crazy, but right now I would bet Discreet Dancer in the FOY. After his last going a mile, what the hell is another 1/16?

The people in the barn won't come out and say it, but they think El Padrino is the best right now and has the best chance to succeed going derby distance. Let us know how he looks down there.

Isn't it about time all those Dosage Index folks start coming around?
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    agree FB
    I did a follow up call on Gemologist and was told that he , indeed, has a problem.

Tentatively penciled in for first start in March 17 Rebel Stakes. That's alot to ask of a horse coming off a near 4 month layoff to tackle the likes he will face in Rebel. But, they have a month to get him ready!

I might be crazy, but right now I would bet Discreet Dancer in the FOY. After his last going a mile, what the hell is another 1/16?

The people in the barn won't come out and say it, but they think El Padrino is the best right now and has the best chance to succeed going derby distance. Let us know how he looks down there.

Isn't it about time all those Dosage Index folks start coming around?

His races were impressive enough for me to make a small wager JUST IN CASE he manages to stretch out that speed. I'll be all over him in the FOY, as I see a 1/16th no chore. Who knows, we've seen horses outrun pedigrees and predictions before.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    IMO we have to wait until the beginning of march or mid march cause like every year we have a now horse and with this year being so wide open I wouldnt be suprised if a horse who is currently running in a n1x or has recently won a n1x will take home the derby....And I tried to go and watch workouts and listen to what people report but the last time I listened it took me off of calebs posse...so john ill just take whatever research you have buddy..
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited February 2012
    rayphil wrote: »
    watch workouts and listen to what people report but the last time I listened it took me off of calebs posse.....

Don't get me started on this :thumbdown:
    That win hurt
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2012
    Nice thread! :toast: