Oaklawn Park March

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited March 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Thursday March 1, 2012

8th Race
4 up 1 1/16 $48k allow

#5 Wild Jacob, 6-1
Former stakes runner been working well in the am. Owner/trainer Stan Mankin, is back on again after going through several trainers, last being Mack Robertson. Race loaded with speed and this is one who can rate off pace and have plenty left for stretch run when early speed dies.

Pick 4

6th---3/5/6/9
7th---1/8
8th---5
9th---2/3/4

Comments

• husker70husker70 Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    John----here's Mine For Today....too Many 3 Yr Olds Going Against Older.....

R1---4...got To Like The Name...'howdy Doody Time'...
    R3----4
    R5---7

On Your Pick 4...adding.....r7...the 5
    R8---i Love The 4 In Here...single On Some...will Add Your #5

The Rest I Like......
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Yesterday's pick, Wild Jacob, made a late move but no way he was going to catch the early speed on this surface. Right now, your horse better fire out of the gate or you have little chance. Peitz been working Naajjr to break better, and Borel takes the mount, but early speed is tops! Could be a play against, but his stride is pretty damned impressive and a big summer on turf is probably where this one comes of age. The Pick 4 today is a challenge and I'm trying to get mine down to a reasonable cost!
    edited March 2012
    I think Najjaar would have a better chance of winning the " BIG CAP" going 1 1/4 than running down these speedy older horses in the 8th at OP. I'm not using him in the pick 4.

6th---3/7/10
    7th---4/6/7
    8th---2/8/9
    9th---3/7/10

Taking baby steps on this wager, .50 cent pick 4 and hope for luck and prices!
    edited March 2012
    Two or three last -to-first winners yesterday on a track which favored speed the day before. But, they were probably the best horses. Najjaar is a big time race horse and he showed it yesterday when he simply blew by the field and won with ease. Peitz has got to be thinking Derby for him, but I still think he is a true turf horse who will be one to watch down the road.

This makes two races in which I have thrown out easy winners, Najjaar and Zapper Belle. Might be time for me to forget trying to get a good price and focus on just cashing a ticket? Smallest pick 4 of the meet yesterday as chalk got there in all legs. Should be better prices today!
    edited March 2012
    Tough card, lot of head scratchers?

In the 9th , Exfactor shipping up from FG after dying in LeComte, will take alot of $$$ as will Borel horse.
    Exfactor has not worked well since Lecompe and a play against for me( beware--- will probably wire the field!)

7th---2/5/6/7
    8th---1/3
    9th---4/7
    10th---1/3/6

This pick 4 is well covered except the 9th, which, if it hits, will be BIG!
    edited March 2012
    John----richard Camp Likes Their Chances On Race 7...#7...'edplicit'
    Betting Strong....
    edited March 2012
    What the hell was going on yesterday?

Nothing like getting knocked out of a pick 4 by a nose photo on a 35-1. Still can't believe that horse got the photo!

Before I get to OP, be advised that today at Aqueduct there is talk on a couple of firsters in the 9th for Johnny Kimmel. These colts have been working together and getting attention. double digit odds on both. I am informed that a play using 3/5/7/10 could be worth a shot?

op 1st---2/5/12 ex bx
    2nd---3/4/7 ex bx
    3rd---#8 Best Bet, ex bx 1/6/8

Pick 4
    6th---6/7/11
    7th---1/2/7
    8th---1
    9th---1/3/5 1 is poe and if sct, 3/5
  • JermanJerman Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    John: Re that Aq race 9, FWIW, Kimmel's Verde Mont is a Breeze Figs Group 1 horse. Definitely worth a play at double digits. Bad thing is that Andy Stirling left him off his selections.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    What the hell was going on yesterday?

Nothing like getting knocked out of a pick 4 by a nose photo on a 35-1. Still can't believe that horse got the photo!

Before I get to OP, be advised that today at Aqueduct there is talk on a couple of firsters in the 9th for Johnny Kimmel. These colts have been working together and getting attention. double digit odds on both. I am informed that a play using 3/5/7/10 could be worth a shot?

op 1st---2/5/12 ex bx
    2nd---3/4/7 ex bx
    3rd---#8 Best Bet, ex bx 1/6/8

Pick 4
    6th---6/7/11
    7th---1/2/7
    8th---1
    9th---1/3/5 1 is poe and if sct, 3/5

Crushed the first. Exacta and tri with 5-1 on top. Nice work.
    edited March 2012
    FRIDAY MARCH 9. 2012

Sending out a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our good friend HUSKER, who is probably still asleep after a big day and night at the Wynn. Hope you hit em big, both BB and horses! WHAT, no crap table???

Yesterday, the track was sloppy and sealed, and I had no confidence at all. Today should be perfect and I have info from Luis Quinonez on two live mounts.
    Race 1
    #2 Tizney, 9/2, has been sprinting and not hitting his best stride until too late in the going on a speed favoring track. Stretches out today to 1 1/16 and will be coming late.

Race 8
    Silver Dandy, 7/2 has been a disappointment so far this year after looking like a Derby player. Cuts back to a 6f sprint today and this is one fast 3 year old . If he runs anything like his morning works, it's all over except the cashing!!! Luis Quinonez says don't leave the windows and don't be shy!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
    PS: Fair Grounds race 4, turf or dirt, 2---4---8 ex & tri bx
    edited March 2012
    Be advised that the local BRIS writer in Hot Springs was present when Luis was giving out his opinion and , as a result, both of these are Twin Spires Spot Plays. Will hurt our prices.
    edited March 2012
    Both of our plays yesterday tried their best, but ran into absolute buzz saws! Not going to spend alot of time trying to beat short priced fav's today, they should get the job done.

3rd Race---#4 Call Me Dutchess, 5-1, wps and ex bx 1/4/6

Race 7---Honeybee Stakes, 3 yo fillies $125k 1 1/16
    no secret here, #8 ON FIRE BABY, 4/5, is the fillie of the meet. This race could not set up any better for her as several others are going to first time blinkers on in an attempt to not let OFB leave them behind. It will not matter as she is just too good and does not have to lead against these. She should come rolling at the turn and draw off to win by as much as she wants. An easy single in the Pick 4 and using in tri & super as a key over the 2/6/7.

Race 8---#'s 5 & 7 and this is as good of two horse ex bx as you want to play.

Race 9---Razorback Handicap 4 yo & up $125k 1 1/16
    Here is my chance to get some of my money (and alot of it) back from a terrible effort last time out when Corey Nak fought him the whole way and he quit in the Sham. He will not be held today against these and the presence of Alternation, Win Willy, and others may get us as much as 5/2. #6 TAPIZAR, is the real deal for the Assman and if C Nak gets his head out he will let him go and we could see a close to track record being set today. Many reasons to like others in here, but I'm going with Tapizar to lead these all the way. Many people will hit the ALL button in the pick 4, but I'm taking a stand on a single!

Race10---go fairly deep in here, 2/5/7/10/11

PICK 4
    5---7
    2--5--7--10--11

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
    edited March 2012
    Corey Nakatani failed to get his head out! Twice now that C Nak tried to rate this speed ball and he came up short. Got to believe there will be a new jockey next time Tapizar goes. Assman and the Winchells were on track today and had to witness Tapizar chase Alteration for 1 1/16. Tough game!
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Corey Nakatani failed to get his head out! Twice now that C Nak tried to rate this speed ball and he came up short. Got to believe there will be a new jockey next time Tapizar goes. Assman and the Winchells were on track today and had to witness Tapizar chase Alteration for 1 1/16. Tough game!

That one cost me a good deal too. I thought he was going to bounce back beautifully today.
    Only play left for the day is Bodemeister.
    edited March 2012
    Sunday, March 11, 2012

Rain and strong wind likely. Playing light today----BUT, there is a first time starter 3 year old fillie in the 4th that is the talk of the backside.

#8 CHEERY, 7/2
    Here's the skinny----Al Stall is loaded with top quality horses down in New Orleans, yet he ships up to Oaklawn with this one---$51k msw 3 yo fillies going 6 f.

Why??? Because Stall has plans, ambitious as they may be, to win this race and jump right in to Grade II Fantasy and on to the Kentucky Oaks. Got your attention yet???

Sired by Distorted Humor out of the A P Indy mare, YELL, who banked around $600k in her career running in graded races. Home bred by the best outfit in the business, Claiborne and the Hancock family. Her workout tab while at Fair Grounds is spotty with only one published gate work which was slow, yet her other breezes are very good. So what does Stall do?
    He goes with veteran jock Carlos Gonzales, who has been getting young horses out of the gate fast and putting them up front for a long time. If this one breaks good and Gonzales puts her up front, which he is supposed to do, then she may be gone!!! I'm not sure what to expect on odds, word is out!
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
    edited March 2012
    John----my Picks Today......

Oaklawn----r1---10...whiteds...200 Wps
    R2---4...ice...200 Wps
    R4----7...assmans Family Horse..bred...lowest Level...watch The 3...as It Is Also A Keith Assman Bred Horse...could Be A Family Affair......same Stud...on Both...
    R5---6...borel
    R6----4...kenny Smith...
    R7---1...breeding/assmans...300 Wps..key Top/bot
    R8----5...'sarah's Song'...getting Ready For Bigger Things...400 W/p...key On Top/bot...hvy With 1,6....
    R9----5..richard...price..big Drop For Maggi Moss Horse...actually Was An Old Robert Holthus Horse Before His Passing...an Old Oaklawn Great...would Be No Surprise...
    edited March 2012
    Thanks Mr J.

I've been doing taxes, damnit!

I played some earlier and did not look very long. I'm waiting on info on Najjaar, who has not worked since last? He will be back early but Baffert's speedball Secret Circle will guarantee a lively pace to run to!

1st---5-6-10 ex bx
    2nd---2-4-7 ex bx
    DD 5-7
    best play---6th---#4 Expecting Money, 5/2, got to love the name!

Pick 4
    6th---4/7
    7th---1/7
    8th---7 and tri box 1/5/6/7
    9th---1/4/5/7/8/9
  • stevef22stevef22 Junior Member
    edited March 2012
    any thoughts on today's 8th at Oaklawn?
    edited March 2012
    John----oaklawn----

R1---9...old Zayat Horse...
    R2---cheap...cheap...some Of These Today Are Terrible......4,7,6
    R3---6...assmans Bro Horse...use With 7,9
    R6---10...assmans...assmans But He Don't Know When This One Wants To Show Up...head Case...could Run
    R7----9....1,4
    R8----1...lukas...class Of The Race...hvy W/p.....use Hvy With 4,2
    R9----2....assman/winchell Combo...
    R10----8.... With The 7,1,11,5...small Across On Assmans.'sabercat'...boxing Alot...
    R11----11,3,4
    edited March 2012
    Here is my Pick-4, until I change my mind!

8th---#1 Absinthe Minded, a single on my ticket, Wayne has her tighter than she has ever been. Cowboy Larry will get alot of play with Joyful victory, and this should help us get 8/5 or so on AM.

9th---5/6/11

10th---#8

10th---3/6/11

I'm going heavy on Absinthe Minded in the 8th. I sure hope I'm right, but her last race was as good as I'v sen in a while and Joyful victory is coming in off a long layoff and she will have to really get it in gear late to catch AM.
    edited March 2012
    Sunday March 18, 2012

Tiz Miz Sue and Optimizer were a very big surprise yesterday! Should have bought the whole field in the Azerri Stakes in the pick 4. Today--split races for maiden fillies 3,4,5 yo.

Race 3
    #8 Kitty Kat Karly, been knocking on the door and today she gets it done. Major upgrade in jockey.
    Short price ex & tri box 8---5---7

Race 7
    #2 Illegally Blonde & #7 Come Acorkin are hard luck runners who get another shot today. #6 L'Air Du Temps is a longshot who is very live.
    Ex Bx 2---6---7

Race 8
    #5 Wild Jacob, last time I used this one he was on a speed bias surface. OP surface has been playing fair last few days, thus, another chance is in order!
    Ex Bx 2---5---7

The rest of the card today is cheap, and very competitive! Do not take anything less than 7/2 on any of the cheap races!

Race 8
    edited March 2012
    John---- Here @ Lake Degray With The Kids.....light Rain This Am....watching And Will Be At The Grounds Soon....

Richard Camp....likes The Following...not There's...
    Race 2...1 Or 2...'lost Forty & 'stout Hope'...1 & 2 Over All/all For Me...

Race 9---#9..''pandering'...midwest.'s Stables...strong Play...wheeling Top/bot....

Race 3...5...assmans...cheap...boxing 5,1,8.....
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2012
    I bet Scatman in the Rebel yesterday. Thought he wsa big value @ 8/1. Looked like he was going to romp in upper stretch, but he just got tired and couldn't hang on. Tough beat; i was already counting the money...i hate it when that happens!
    edited March 2012
    Friday March 23, 2012

5th---Mattress Mack gets no respect!
    #7 Cosmo, 5-1, is a good overlay, Ex Bx 2---5---7 and wps #7

6th---On paper, two horse race, maybe so?
    7/8---7/8---2/4/6

7th---Joe Johnson on a live longshot! #2 My Leigh Vy, 8-1, wps and Ex Bx 1--2--9

1st---Best Bet of Day---#6 Lobshot, 5/2, will make it look easy at a short price.

Couldn't get away for Big A today in New York. Barn says not to expect too much, but Mike McCarthy is not the kind to be overly optimistic. Sure hope he is dead wrong and Austin gets it done! I'd hate to think I helped pick out a two year old who is best suited in clm ranks any lower than he will face today. No word yet on who will sub for Ramon, TAP barn was waiting for sct and will pick from there.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2012
    Noticed another Pietz firster (#7 Aghaany) entered in Race 1 today. Couldn't really find any info on her though. Looks like she worked from the gate with an unraced barnmate back on March 3.

Interesting point about Lobshot, she actually ran second behind Princess Arabella two starts back.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Friday March 23, 2012

5th---Mattress Mack gets no respect!
    #7 Cosmo, 5-1, is a good overlay, Ex Bx 2---5---7 and wps #7

6th---On paper, two horse race, maybe so?
    7/8---7/8---2/4/6

7th---Joe Johnson on a live longshot! #2 My Leigh Vy, 8-1, wps and Ex Bx 1--2--9

1st---Best Bet of Day---#6 Lobshot, 5/2, will make it look easy at a short price.

Couldn't get away for Big A today in New York. Barn says not to expect too much, but Mike McCarthy is not the kind to be overly optimistic. Sure hope he is dead wrong and Austin gets it done! I'd hate to think I helped pick out a two year old who is best suited in clm ranks any lower than he will face today. No word yet on who will sub for Ramon, TAP barn was waiting for sct and will pick from there.

Get IRAD!
    edited March 2012
    Saturday March 24, 2012

Just a terrible card today--not only at OP, but Aq and GP as well. Looks like Turfway has the best races, but that poly track is not my style. Time to look at Santa Anita??

Oaklawn 8th, 3yo allow 6f
    a bunch of non-deserving fav's in this first level allowance race. Taking a real flyer on all the longshots!

#2 JIMMER, 10-1
    Winstar colt who won his first in easy fashion and has come back to work like a colt heading to sprint stakes races.

#3 McRAUB, 12-1
    Ran last summer in Okie races and was quick! Been off for 7 months but has worked a series of short and long brezes and if fit enough, will be a factor. Gets leading rider Terry Thompson.

#4 HARPER COUNTY, 10-1
    Been off for 4 months after showing very good speed in first race. Recent works are good enough to make him a major threat and Jon Court has been getting these home the last few weeks, usually at a price!

Ex Bx 2---3---4

Pick 4
    7th---2/5/7/8
    8th---2/3/4
    9th---2/4/5 ( Comadero is a sct)
    10th---6 (surely Calvin can't fuck this up?)

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
    edited March 2012
    Sunday March 25, 2012

Swinging for the fences today!!!!

2nd Race
    2/5/8 ex bx

5th Race
    Trifecta 2/3---2/3---1/7

8th Race
    Trifecta 2/8---2/8---3/4/6

9th Race
    Trifecta 3/8---3/8---1/5

GLTA
    edited March 2012
    John
    waiting On Richard Camp To Call After Workouts....
    This Is What I Like....

R3
    5...richard/moss.....with The 4,6,7
    R5
    R6
    R7----2...assmans.....with The 1,7
    R8
    2.....richard/ Moss..... With ....3,6,8...scratched Out Of Yesterdays Race.....been A Winner Since Our Day 1 Race..............

Sunland Derby...hvy On Assmans...'daddy Nose Best'...get Some Graded Earnings....$$$$$$$..using With 1,2,3...
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Sunland Race 9
    Love the #8 REMUS @10-1 ML

Sunland Derby
    3 with 6,1,5 Ex Box and tri 3,6 with 3,6,1,5