big cap???

rayphilrayphil Senior Member
edited March 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Is it me or is Santa Anita giving away 750k to a bunch of 2nd tier horses in the big cap..

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Ultimate Eagle is a good horse, but don't know if he can carry it a 1 1/4?? This race looks like a OC for 200k!!!
  • togaburnsytogaburnsy Junior Member
    edited March 2012
    i kind of think this trend has been going on for years....not just california.....too many big races not enough good horses in the division.......the really good horse can rule short fields of inferior regional competition...this is kind of what makes the breeders cup legit......they spend 11 months cherry picking weak spots....without game on dude .........look at this field. look at the recent race at gulfstream....Donn, grade 1, $500,000......this WAS a full field and hymn book won it....really? he'll have to win a couple more before i believe he is a grade one animal and a few that finished behind him.....that are supposidly good........they looked dreadful. the shortage of eligible and COMPETENT grade 1 horses has been pretty obvious for a while. the three year old crops have been short on talent for years......then many retire. but it does seem like some owners are begining to run their good horses for more years, with all this money why shouldn't they? i'm hoping the tide will turn back to actually racing.....and horses that can get more than 9 furlongs!
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    i totally agree fb...
  • HoudiniHoudini Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    rayphil wrote: »
    Is it me or is Santa Anita giving away 750k to a bunch of 2nd tier horses in the big cap..

They maybe 3rd tier horses.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    I'm taking a flyer here with Twice the Appeal.
    I originally liked Setsuko but the odds just won't be fair enough for me to take him.
    Good luck everyone
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Heard a little rumor at the track about a War Front filly going down the hill tomorrow (Saturday) at SA for Billy Spawr. She's 15-1 on the ML (likely to be much shorter, I think a few clockers are giving this to "personal" clients). Apparently, the connections aren't sure about the turf, but this filly has no speed and a monster late kick - so she cant win on the main track. If she's 8-1 or better I'm gonna fire big.
  • jenroypajenroypa Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Anyone here anything about the Puype FTS in the 5th? Was in the car listening to Steve Byk's show and one of the guys mentioned the horse. ML 8-1..

Jeff Siegal wrote up the War front on the Santa Anita site:
    The sixth race begins the Pick-6 sequence and we’re excited about the prospects of #5 Lake Maracaibo in her racing debut for Spawr. Mike Smith has been out to work her in the morning and the daughter of War Front has done everything easily for a trainer who rarely asks his young stock for speed in the a.m. Listed at 15-1 on the morning line but reportedly much better than that, Lake Maracaibo is a “must use” in rolling exotic play.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Heard a little rumor at the track about a War Front filly going down the hill tomorrow (Saturday) at SA for Billy Spawr. She's 15-1 on the ML (likely to be much shorter, I think a few clockers are giving this to "personal" clients). Apparently, the connections aren't sure about the turf, but this filly has no speed and a monster late kick - so she cant win on the main track. If she's 8-1 or better I'm gonna fire big.

This turned into a comedy. I had 10 people ask me if Bill liked his horse before I even sat down. Every clocker in the world gave this one out (Despite the fact that only a couple even saw the fucking works - like most Spawr workers, she goes out in the pitch black at an ungodly hour). The bartender was giving it out, I mean it was pure comedy. I passed on betting her when she opened @ 2-1, and got off at 3-1. She was much the best, waiting at the top of the stretch, getting closed off inside before swinging outside, and then weaving greenly down the lane to lose a half length. I would take 7/2 @ a mile next out, but that's probably unlikely.