Help me understand how Pick3 Pool goes

KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
edited March 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Greeetings Horseracingtalk mates/players/members, help me understand how this works about the Pick3 pool, i see what the pick3 pays but then it has a pool, and that number gets big and it keeps growing

in the future i'm going to be playing pick3's and i want2b able to understand it b4 i get in2 it.

i know the only way to win is to have the winner on all three races the pick3 qualifies for but the pool is what i don't get.

How is that pool won?
when is that pool won?

Comments

• FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    KP-HR2k9 wrote: »
    Greeetings Horseracingtalk mates/players/members, help me understand how this works about the Pick3 pool, i see what the pick3 pays but then it has a pool, and that number gets big and it keeps growing

in the future i'm going to be playing pick3's and i want2b able to understand it b4 i get in2 it.

i know the only way to win is to have the winner on all three races the pick3 qualifies for but the pool is what i don't get.

How is that pool won?
    when is that pool won?

The pool size does not alter your winnings in a Pick 3. It simply shows how much money has been bet in to the Pick 3 wager. For instance (and without takeout for easier explanation) if $100k has been bet in to Pick 3 pool, and 10 people hit it, they would each take home $10k.

Pool size gets attractive in larger Pick 4's and Pick 6's where only a few tickets are hit and therefore you may even take down the entire pool (i.e. 1 person hits Pick 6 at Santa Anita). Pool size really gets interesting with carry-overs (this is what should attract big bettors). Carryovers exists from pools that were not hit on the previous race day. When there is a carryover, the portion carried over is entered in to the pool and everyone has access to winning that much more (i.e. Pool was $100k, but now addition of $50k carryover, so in this instance, each of the 10 winners would get $15k).

Sorry if that was confusing and not 100% responsive, but figured it should help.
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    The pool size does not alter your winnings in a Pick 3. It simply shows how much money has been bet in to the Pick 3 wager. For instance (and without takeout for easier explanation) if $100k has been bet in to Pick 3 pool, and 10 people hit it, they would each take home $10k.

Pool size gets attractive in larger Pick 4's and Pick 6's where only a few tickets are hit and therefore you may even take down the entire pool (i.e. 1 person hits Pick 6 at Santa Anita). Pool size really gets interesting with carry-overs (this is what should attract big bettors). Carryovers exists from pools that were not hit on the previous race day. When there is a carryover, the portion carried over is entered in to the pool and everyone has access to winning that much more (i.e. Pool was $100k, but now addition of $50k carryover, so in this instance, each of the 10 winners would get $15k).

Sorry if that was confusing and not 100% responsive, but figured it should help.

Mucho thank you, i see how it works now .:peace:
    (every day learning something new about horse racing)
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Playing a pick 3 is a good bet if you enjoy playing them. typically there is more to be made on the dollar there due to the track takeout is on the one bet therefore spread over the 3 races as opposed to 1 thus, 1/3 of say an exacta takeout. Pimlico used to have the least takeout though I believe it may be Laurel now. Those are the ones that you can get your best bang for your buck from.