Union Rags still favored after Pool Three

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Not sure whether this'll hold true on Derby Day (it may depend how good Creative Cause and/or Hansen look next weekend), but Union Rags barely drifted up at all after losing the Florida Derby on Saturday.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/68595/union-rags-remains-on-top-in-derby-wager

Comments

• FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Not sure whether this'll hold true on Derby Day (it may depend how good Creative Cause and/or Hansen look next weekend), but Union Rags barely drifted up at all after losing the Florida Derby on Saturday.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/68595/union-rags-remains-on-top-in-derby-wager

I don't understand the logic behind taking 9/2 about 5 weeks from the derby. Not only will CC/Hansen possibly prove to be the strongest contenders, a new one may emerge. Couple that with the possibility that he could always get injured (especially how weird things tend to pop up after races like that) and the fact that he will likely offer 7/2-4/1 on derby day anyways and it makes no sense.

I'm looking forward to seeing I'll Have Another and Street Life go on Saturday. I'll be taking a crack against the favorites in case they prove to be the real deal. I can't say I'm thrilled with the unorthodox style they are taking with I'll Have Another, but we shall see.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    I put a shitload down on Gemologist this weekend. He goes in the Wood and it caused Hansen to take the other road!

Nobody, and I mean nobody, wants to run with him right now. Even if the Arab horse comes alive, and I know Mike likes him alot due to the Kieran McGlothlin connection, the game plan is to get Gemologist to the race! The Wood is a prep!!!!! Now that I have gone out on a limb, watch Gemologist draw the rail!!!!
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Ive got 2 future wagers going 1 is on Take Charge Indy and the other is on Alpha! I love Alpha and I think he is the real deal the only problem is who is going to be riding him in the derby?
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Depends on how Alpha runs on Saturday. His recent works at PMM are ordinary, considering his recent races where he sat in company and fired late to win going away. The Wood is a much better group! IMO, if he gets smoked in the Wood, which is unlikely cause IMO he is a major threat, you will see Jr Alvarado or Lezcano. At this point, who knows? Ramon is on a short leash with the Apple Blossom his major race so he will not fire anything early in case he is not 100%

Ramon is committed to HDG at all costs, derby races be damned!!!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2012
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    I don't understand the logic behind taking 9/2 about 5 weeks from the derby. Not only will CC/Hansen possibly prove to be the strongest contenders, a new one may emerge. Couple that with the possibility that he could always get injured (especially how weird things tend to pop up after races like that) and the fact that he will likely offer 7/2-4/1 on derby day anyways and it makes no sense.

You're right (of course), but that doesn't stop people from betting it anyway. I've never understood why anyone bets those things at all on Friday or Saturday. Why would you? Wait until Sunday when it's about to close, check the odds and then decide. Simple, right? And yet, there are already thousands in the pool by the time Sunday rolls around. Not all on the Field, either...