Derby and Undercard Selections

FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Race 5
#3 Mile High Magic
When Baffert ships, he means business. Should be tough to beat here, although won't offer a great price.

Race 7
#6 Amazombie
One of my largest plays of the day. Sent over here ready to run and repeat his brilliant performance in the sprint @ CD in Nov. He's fit, ready, and better than these. Shackleford set dawdling fractions in his last and was still run down and from what I hear, Smiling Tiger's workouts have been quite sub-par. Amazombie will sit the perfect trip just off the leaders and make his move turning for him.

Race 8
#1 Heavenly Landing (WP)
A return to his form of late last year makes this one a contender at good odds. The Jenny Wiley was a joke with the race seemingly resembling a carousel ride more than a horse race. That race should give him the little freshening he needed after 2 months off. He's 1-1 on Churchill Downs turf course and should be closing late after what will be a quicker pace than his last.

Comments

• FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Race 9
    #3 Sassy Image
    I can't think of a bigger horse for course angle than this one right here. She absolutely LOVES CD, and above that, she also loves the sloppy going if the track hasn't been dried out by the time the race goes. While Switch is going to be tough, I see this one running them all down in the stretch.

Race 10
    #6 Doubles Partner
    This one is my other huge wager today. The Makers 46 Mile comment line reads "hemmed in". Hemmed in is the understatement of the year. I urge you to watch the replay as this horse desparately seeks running room, only to find a glimpse of daylight to get shut off again by the drifting leader. After he finally got free he galloped out past them at the wire, losing by just under a length. This horse is going to have a BIG season.
    edited May 2012
    Race 11 (Kentucky Derby)
    #6 Bodemeister
    I finally landed on him as my selection. I know the pace will be contested, I know the draw isn't ideal, and I know he didn't face stiff competition in his last. The part people do forget is that in only his third career start, fresh off a maiden win, he damn near put away one of the top 3yo's in the country. Bigger, faster, stronger now and will be tough to beat .
    edited May 2012
    #19 I'll Have Another
    I know I'm in the minority on this one. His name certainly isn't helping his odds as it seems like all of the drunks at the OTB parlors bet him last night (He went from 18-1 to 13-1 overnight), In my opinion, the 19 draw is not the kiss of death for him. El Padrino, Done Talking, and Sabercat are all certain to drop back right away, allowing him room to float out. This horse has the tactical speed to get in a fair position by the time they hit the first turn and shouldn't lose too much ground. He can rate perfectly and should be sitting with clear running room in the second tier of horses ready to roll.

#17 Done Talking
    This is my longshot. Maybe I'm biased? It's natural. He won the Illinois Derby here. Is he slower than these off recent performances? Yes. What he did do, however, was get a late start to the year. I heard from a few sources that Smith admitted he rushed him back in the Gotham. He offers huge odds and I like for him to get a small piece.

Win wager on Bode.
    I have a future on I'll Have Another @ 29-1 but may throw a small place backup on him.
    Small WPS money on Done Talking.

Exacta/Tri Boxes - 4/5/6/17/19

I apologize for the multiple posts. I keep getting 404 errors when posts are too large.
  • bbixlerbbixler Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Very nice!
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Nice call Flyin Late.
    edited May 2012
    Thanks you guys.
    After getting creamed on the undercard I managed to do quite well in the derby.
    Caught my future on I'll Have Another @ 29-1.

$2 Exacta paid $306.60
    $2 Trifecta paid $3,065.60
  • shh10shh10 Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Holy smokes! Nice job!!