Comments

• SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    No matter how they try to spin it as "doing right by the horse," I think there's a good chance he's not right. He was all bottled up in his last two races and didn't have a whole lot of running room. The Preakness would seem a great spot for him and it still carries a fair amount of prestige. I think it fits him better than the Belmont, where you have to wonder if his breeding will catch up to him. Either way, I think something is amiss. Get ready for the retirement announcement.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    SirBear wrote: »
    No matter how they try to spin it as "doing right by the horse," I think there's a good chance he's not right. He was all bottled up in his last two races and didn't have a whole lot of running room. The Preakness would seem a great spot for him and it still carries a fair amount of prestige. I think it fits him better than the Belmont, where you have to wonder if his breeding will catch up to him. Either way, I think something is amiss. Get ready for the retirement announcement.

I actually disagree here. Skipping the Preakness makes complete sense. With no TC opportunity, why force the horse back in 2 weeks after a roughly run race? Its reasons like that which cause horses to disappear after the triple crown trail. He seems to me a bit of a head case and one of those horses that likes to get himself in trouble, a little time off and training and he will come back ready.
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    That is totally a fair take, and normally I'd agree with you, but this year I think if Union Rags came out of the Derby ok then they should absolutely run him back in the Preakness. Bode is probably cooked and will be vulnerable in Baltimore. I'll Have Another hasn't taken a bad step yet this year but he is going from 9 weeks of rest to 4 weeks of rest to 2 weeks of rest. Surely it may catch up to him. Union Rags never had much a chance to run in his past two starts and if Matz asserts that he had a disastrous trip, then surely he should go get 'em in Baltimore. I'd love to see them put Garet Gomez on this horse.

Just one man's opinon, though I agree it's not a disaster if they don't run in Baltimore. I just think it's the sporting thing to do if the horse is eating his oats right now.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Matz did have Barbaro break down in the Preakness after his Derby run. That might be weighing on his mind a little bit.