Paynter to the Belmont?

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Here's a post-Preakness comment from Baffert regarding Paynter's prospects for the Belmiont:

"We're going to train him there (Belmont)," Baffert said of the Awesome Again colt who finished second in The Cliff's Edge Derby Trial Stakes (G3) on April 28 at Churchill Downs. "If it looks like he snapped out of his race, we'll run him in the Belmont if he looks really good."

Also, here's a replay of Paynter's win on the Preakness undercard:

Pimlico 051912 Race 4 - Sinai Good Neighbors Race - YouTube

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    didnt really push any buttons for me......mw has him 12-1 for the belmont...IHA @ 4-5..
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    I think he's a huge threat. This horse stayed within 4 lengths of IHA in his secord career start, going from a maiden to a G1.

Then he almost wins a fast graded stakes at CD and then rips it up with a 106 Beyer in the Preakness undercard. He will go to the lead and might not look back. I will have money him if he is at least 8-1.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    I consider him to have the most potential to upset IHA. My contenders, in order at this time, are:

I'll Have Another
    Paynter
    Dullahan
    Union Rags
    Street Life
    Alpha
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2012
    FWIW, i think the Derby Trial is a throwout. The track was a mess, due to a hailstorm that delayed the race for something like 45 minutes. Paynter ran okay there, but you can't really draw any conclusions from it.

Btw, the other favorite in that race (Bourbon Courage) ran terribly, and the same thoughts apply to him.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2012
    FWIW, i think the Derby Trial is a throwout. The track was a mess, due to a hailstorm that delayed the race for something like 45 minutes. Paynter ran okay there, but you can't really draw any conclusions from it.

Btw, the other favorite in that race (Bourbon Courage) ran terribly, and the same thoughts apply to him.

Just read that Bourbon Courage is pointing to the Woody Stephens on the Belmont Stakes undercard. Should be a price (especially coming off the ugly loss), with Hansen figuring to take all the money.