Baby Races--2 yo

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited October 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
I know alot of you like to follow two year olds this time of year. Most of the better barns have been slow to get going this spring--possible reason being that if a 2yo wins a race, there are no other races on the conditions. As a result, alot of the 2yo races so far have not been very good, with the exception of the Jeff Bonde runner at Hollywood on Saturday. AMARISH blew a hole in the wind and looks like a good one.

DelMar and Saratoga are right round the corner and these Baby Races are starting to get better. This Thursday at Belmont, Race 3, 2yo fillies going 5f for $77k.

#6 Can't Explain
2yo daughter of Not For Love out of a mare by AP Indy and a Pine Bluff mare is a New Jersey bred. I sat at a table next to owners Bartolazzo at Ark Derby and he filled me in on this one. She went to TAP in PMM and ran very good. When TAP moved back she went to Spa and has been lightning up the training track. Worked on May 25th heads up with another good one, Corail, and these two blitzed 4f in 49 flat, 3/23 at distance that day. In the next set, TAP sent out two promising colts who took a full second faster to get the 4f distance. One of these, Palace Malice, is out of Curlin and cost $200k at the Keeneland sale.

Only 6 enter in here but you have a couple with a race and Assman, McPeek, and W. Ward, so the price should be good on Can't Explain. Timing is right too, a win and she comes right back in seven weeks to face winners at Spa!

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    I meant to say that the two colts took a full second longer to get the 4f distance. However, it seems that word is out, as line maker Eric Donovan installed Can't Explain as the 2nd betting choice at 2-1. So much for the 7/2--4-1 I was hoping for!
  • DubyaBDubyaB Member
    edited May 2012
    I was at the Oklahoma track that morning by the clocker stand . That filly has created a HUGE buzz ...its all over town. To say it was on her own was a gross understatement
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Nice post, thanks. Will definitely check this filly out...
    edited May 2012
    Okay, here's what i found on Can't Explain:

In addition to the heads-up drill with Corail on 5/25, she also worked heads-up with Corail on 5/13. So if Can't Explain runs well tomorrow, keep an eye on Corail for sure.

Back on 5/6, Can't Explain appeared to be part of a 3-horse team drill with an unraced 2yo named In Speight Ofitall (by Speightstown out of Ski Dancer, if you guys remember her), and also a 3yo barnmate named Willy Elliot.

Willy Elliot came out of that drill to win a starter allowance @ Monmouth six days later...

PS - Just looked @ the Asmussen entrant (Sugar Mama), and couldn't find anything noteworthy.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Quality info.
  • BMB109BMB109 Member
    edited May 2012
    Great info guys. Thanks!
  • DubyaBDubyaB Member
    edited May 2012
    While we are sharing info on the promising 2YO's of 2012 . Another baby that has the Oklahoma track buzzing is a filly in Jimmy Bond's barn . Momentary Magic has turned some heads w/ her limited activity in the am . Bond has shared w/ people that this filly is a freak & unquestionably the most talented filly he has ever had. She is an Indian Charlie I have not done any pedigree work on the mare . She really has only had 2 official 3f works . So she is a while off . Bond likes to run his stock at Saratoga so I am sure he has a target date in the plans
    edited May 2012
    love the Ok training track info, DubyaB, keep up the good work!

Seems we are all posting info on fillies. I hate to sound sexist, but when are we going to hear anything on 2yo colts? Is this going to be another year where the good ones are in California? Get to work, Dirty!!!!
    edited May 2012
    On the Jimmy Bond fillie, Momentary Magic, she is eaten up on the dam side with bold Ruler,Secretiart, Slew, Ap Indy, Pulpit and so forth. Second dam is not newsworthy, but the cross with Leo castelli with Mr Prospector/Northern Dancer mares is a big hit with the Kentucky breeding folks. Indian Charlie was one of the few stand outs whose career was cut short. Keep an eye on this one in the first two weeks of Spa meet!
    edited May 2012
    love the Ok training track info, DubyaB, keep up the good work!

Seems we are all posting info on fillies. I hate to sound sexist, but when are we going to hear anything on 2yo colts? Is this going to be another year where the good ones are in California? Get to work, Dirty!!!!

Nobody is really letting the good ones roll around here yet either. A lot of the early blooming types, but nothing of real substance. In fact several of these races have been run sans top jocks.
    edited May 2012
    As a result, alot of the 2yo races so far have not been very good, with the exception of the Jeff Bonde runner at Hollywood on Saturday. AMARISH blew a hole in the wind and looks like a good one.

Stable notes:

Amarish, a 2-year-old son of multiple Grade I winner Scat Daddy, took command a few strides out of the gate and set interior fractions of :21 3/5 and :44 3/5 en route to a final time of :50.98 for 4 ½ furlongs, not far off the track record of 50.67. Piloted by Edwin Maldonado, the precocious juvenile reported home 7 3-4 lengths in front of runner-up Manewal.

Bonde was hardly surprised, but seemed relieved by the easy victory. “He’s trained like Superman all meeting,” said the trainer, “but it’s nice to know you actually have the product. That’s the most we’ve ever paid for a gelding.” Owner Jerry Durant purchased the bay for $200,000 at the Ocala Breeders March Juvenile Sale.

Bonde wouldn’t commit to a next start for Amarish, but said the runner could return in the two upcoming juvenile stakes at Betfair Hollywood Park, ($100,000 Willard Proctor Memorial June 16 and $200,000 Hollywood Juvenile Championship, July 14) “He’s a real nice horse. We’re just going to enjoy the victory.”
    edited May 2012
    And Andy Harrington's pre-race info on him:

AMARISH May 20 HOL 4 :47.4HG M FT B+
    Fast all the way with Lauren's Lady's (Becerra) flying along in 23.0, 46.3 out well in 59.2. Sure looks sharp; Maldanado up.---Grade: B+
    edited May 2012
    Seems we are all posting info on fillies. I hate to sound sexist, but when are we going to hear anything on 2yo colts?

What was this, chop liver?

http://www.horseracingtalk.com/horse-racing-forum/interesting-first-time-starter-churchill-today-14922.html
    edited May 2012
    Nice run by Can't Explain.

Still feel like i got robbed, though. I hate it when they cough up a late lead, especially after she had seemingly put the other horse away in midstretch. Frustrating. Should've won the race.

PS - Definitely have some interest in Corail now, fwiw.
    edited May 2012
    Nice run by Can't Explain.

Still feel like i got robbed, though. I hate it when they cough up a late lead, especially after she had seemingly put the other horse away in midstretch. Frustrating. Should've won the race.

PS - Definitely have some interest in Corail now, fwiw.

yeah you should be shot if a bitch ever comes back on you like that. or close the rail. just don't fucking lose the race.
    edited May 2012
    I thought she broke a little slow and had to rush up just a little and that caused her to take a while to relax. Cost her in the final 1/16. Not a bad debut and let's hope Corail breaks a little better and relaxes and has something left for the end!
    edited May 2012
    I would guess that Johnny thought he still had enough horse to hang in there. He didn't, and by not cutting Rosie off or something worthy of a DQ, she came up a loser. Tough game !
    edited May 2012
    I thought she broke a little slow and had to rush up just a little

Agreed. Not sure if that had any influence on the outcome, but it might've.
    edited May 2012
    Agreed. Not sure if that had any influence on the outcome, but it might've.

She (the 6) looked so much bigger and more athletic than the others. If she broke on top she was likely gone, but in this case I think we also fell victim to an overconfident ride. One note is that the filly to her inside (Kansas for Wesley Ward) fell flat on her face and ran a decent third.
  • BMB109BMB109 Member
    edited June 2012
    i didn't see an over confident ride myself. He asked her at the top of the lane and got a spurt and the other filly came back and JV asked her the entire length of the stretch including fine use of the stick...wasn't good enough, off slow or not. The other filly never saw the stick and was on the inside the entire trip...often not the best place for a youngster.
    edited June 2012
    Okay, here's what i found on Can't Explain:

In addition to the heads-up drill with Corail on 5/25, she also worked heads-up with Corail on 5/13. So if Can't Explain runs well tomorrow, keep an eye on Corail for sure.

Corail worked out @ Saratoga today, her first drill in 3 weeks. Hopefully it wasn't anything too major...
    edited June 2012
    Carson's Crown won the first @ Hollywood in a professional manner. Stalked and pounced, then fended off a decent Baffert firster, Cash Empire, outside him going 5f. We'll see how the race comes up. The pacesetter and eventual third place finisher No Rachmones was working well in company with older win-type barn mates for Miller. Those three were clear.
    edited June 2012
    I know alot of you like to follow two year olds this time of year. Most of the better barns have been slow to get going this spring--possible reason being that if a 2yo wins a race, there are no other races on the conditions. As a result, alot of the 2yo races so far have not been very good, with the exception of the Jeff Bonde runner at Hollywood on Saturday. AMARISH blew a hole in the wind and looks like a good one.

Amarish goes in 5 minutes. I'm betting @ EVEN MONEY or 4/5. Have this one and the 4 horse in the pick 5.
    edited June 2012
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Amarish goes in 5 minutes. I'm betting @ EVEN MONEY or 4/5. Have this one and the 4 horse in the pick 5.

Free money give away @ 4/5.
    edited June 2012
    Add to WATCH:

Suncadia 03/01/2010 F Tiznow August Storm

This one got taken up at the rail after trying to show speed, then came out around the field and ran hard for 3rd. This tough 2yo. Tiznow filly will be tough on the turf from here on out as a 2yo.
  • DubyaBDubyaB Member
    edited June 2012
    I know this goes off the rails of this thread as 2YO only,but on Friday in R-2 @ Belmont Bruce Brown is sending out a horse that he thinks is pretty useful. Granted running for a tag but the horse has been on his own in the AM and has been the discussion of the regulars . Charging Orders has drawn the services of Castellano (which is a big tell). Brown & Musiker (Castellanos agent )are tight. I don't like to tout but I hope this is helpful:thumbup1:
    edited June 2012
    With just 3 weeks since she gave it up late and a handily work in 47 4/5 thrown in to boot, Can't Explain returns to the races today at Belmont, race 2. Not surprisingly, she is 6/5 on ml and no value whatsoever. What makes this race interesting is that Johnny Velazquez is named on her. Who gets the pick-up mount may offer a signal on who will ascend to some of the TAP elite while Johnny recovers. Ramon and Javier already have a call on others, so I'm thinking Rosie, or maybe Davey Cohen, who is returning from a injury. Whoever it is, all they have to do is get her out and she is gone. Is Chop-Chop back yet?
    edited June 2012
    On a related note, FWIW, Can't Explain's last work, over Belmont surface, was heads up with a 4 yo fillie going also today in the 3rd race. Midnight Visit, #2 and a 4-1 ml. OC $75k going 6 1/2, and no jockey mystery here, Javier was named first on this one.
    edited June 2012
    Midnight Visit is a early vet sct in the 3rd.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    With just 3 weeks since she gave it up late and a handily work in 47 4/5 thrown in to boot, Can't Explain returns to the races today at Belmont, race 2. Not surprisingly, she is 6/5 on ml and no value whatsoever. What makes this race interesting is that Johnny Velazquez is named on her. Who gets the pick-up mount may offer a signal on who will ascend to some of the TAP elite while Johnny recovers. Ramon and Javier already have a call on others, so I'm thinking Rosie, or maybe Davey Cohen, who is returning from a injury. Whoever it is, all they have to do is get her out and she is gone. Is Chop-Chop back yet?

Jose Lezcano gets the call