Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Jockey agents are notorious for being low-life scum bags, but this Ron Ebanks has sunk to a new level!

For him(Ebanks) to imply that this move was due to the injury sustained by Johnny Velazquez is not only absurd, but will no doubt cause backlash within the racing community and not do Rosario any favors. Todd Pletcher already has Javier Castellano in the on-deck circle, and Rosie has been getting good mounts when JV and JC are away, not to mention Chris DeCarlo coming in from Jersey. Has anyone talked with Graham Notion to see if he will use Rosairo
    I didn't think so.

Most other NY outfits have loyal jocks they use, and every one of these is as good, or better, than Rosario. I can't see him getting more than a few mounts per race day, if that much. Even though Hollywood Park has short fields, Rosario can usually find a mount in all races he chooses to ride in, a luxury he won't find in NY. IMO, this will be a temporary move and Rosario will be back at DelMar before August.
  • DubyaBDubyaB Member
    edited June 2012
    I wish him well and agree... he'll be back. He will be fighting Rajiv Maragh, Jose Lezcano & Junior Lescano for mounts
    edited June 2012
    Agree-

Let's face it, Joel was a second tier jock in So Cal, behind Mikey, GoGo, Rafael and to some extent, Little Joe Talamo. I am told that Ron Ebanks is a real wheeler dealer who will bug the shit out of trainers until he gets some mounts. I'm not sure how this will play in NY? He will probably get some mounts, but I doubt he will be first call on live horses. He will have to fight for morning works with the likes of the Ortiz brothers, Jr. Alvarado, and a bunch of longtime NY jocks.

Several years ago, GoGo made this move when Johnny went down, but he had assurances from TAP that he would be his go-to guy. However, at that time Gomez was hot as a cheap pistol and he was in a groove. I just don't see this as being a good move, notwithstanding the ball-busting that Ebanks will dish out on NY owners/trainers. I could be wrong, but I don't think so!
  • DubyaBDubyaB Member
    edited June 2012
    Absolutely . I apologize in my haste I meant to say Junior Alvarado not Junior Lescano.
  • wheatinawheatina Junior Member
    edited June 2012
    Jockey agents are notorious for being low-life scum bags, but this Ron Ebanks has sunk to a new level!

For him(Ebanks) to imply that this move was due to the injury sustained by Johnny Velazquez is not only absurd, but will no doubt cause backlash within the racing community and not do Rosario any favors. Todd Pletcher already has Javier Castellano in the on-deck circle, and Rosie has been getting good mounts when JV and JC are away, not to mention Chris DeCarlo coming in from Jersey. Has anyone talked with Graham Notion to see if he will use Rosairo
    I didn't think so.

Most other NY outfits have loyal jocks they use, and every one of these is as good, or better, than Rosario. I can't see him getting more than a few mounts per race day, if that much. Even though Hollywood Park has short fields, Rosario can usually find a mount in all races he chooses to ride in, a luxury he won't find in NY. IMO, this will be a temporary move and Rosario will be back at DelMar before August.

This is pretty inaccurate stuff.
    edited June 2012
    Whetina,
    In what regard?
    My shoulders are pretty broad and if I'm wrong about something I'll be the first to admit it. Granted, alot of my posts are opinion and not meant to state otherwise. If you have information that would suggest that my opinion is inaccurate I'll be the first to welcome it. What I like about HRT Forum is that we are all welcomed to express opinions and, in turn, we are all welcomed to disagree with the poster. Hell, I enjoyed the banter with Drayney!

Get Vocal!
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    LOL. That was funny guys. Agree 100% with everything about agents. Look - if you derive your living from the race track, chances are you're a dirtbag. However, Rosario can ride circles around almost every jockey named in this thread. He has uncanny pace sense and is one of the top 5 finishers still riding horses. I have heard *rumors* of alcohol problems as of late, but no confirmation. I believe given time and a few breaks he'll be top 3 at the NY tracks. He's giving up PILES of money to do this - so don't think he hasn't thought this through.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Hell, I enjoyed the banter with Drayney!

Get Vocal!

Whoa John, let's not go overboard here :laugh:
  • wheatinawheatina Junior Member
    edited June 2012
    Whetina,
    In what regard?
    My shoulders are pretty broad and if I'm wrong about something I'll be the first to admit it. Granted, alot of my posts are opinion and not meant to state otherwise. If you have information that would suggest that my opinion is inaccurate I'll be the first to welcome it. What I like about HRT Forum is that we are all welcomed to express opinions and, in turn, we are all welcomed to disagree with the poster. Hell, I enjoyed the banter with Drayney!

Get Vocal!

You made a brash negative determination about an entire group of people. Doing something like that, in my opinion, speaks very poorly of you. Then you take a shot at Ronnie Ebanks. Now, unlike you, I know him personally. Your opinion is conjecture. Mine is based on actual human contact. Mine is also completely different from your determination.

Now you make your ( incorrect ) claim about what Ebee said. What he actually said was that they were considering the move and Johnny getting injured perhaps hastened their decision. This is just what happened with Edgar Prado when Migliore got injured at a similar point in 1999 before Saratoga. It is not a lowlife move. It is a business decision. Johnny doesn't resent Ebee. I imagine part of his decision was based on speaking to Todd and getting some sort of assurances that Joel would get a chance in the barn. Todd may well ride Rosie because she shares an agent with Castellano but that doesn't mean he won't give others a shot. Then you throw in Chris Decarlo. You have to be kidding. Chris Decarlo.....Joel Rosario....hmmmm....who would I choose? If you choose Chris, you would be the only non-relative to do so.

Then you ask, out of the blue, about Graham Motion. You mean Ronnie Ebanks's friend Graham Motion, the one who trained Animal Kingdom? Say what you want, but this is what happens when you flail away in the dark about things you don't actually know about. You make unfair and incorrect conjectures. You know what, that's OK, as it's actually what we all do as handicappers at least a certain amount of the time. However, you couched your comments with personal attacks. That's actually what put you out of line.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    wheatina wrote: »
    You made a brash negative determination about an entire group of people. Doing something like that, in my opinion, speaks very poorly of you. Then you take a shot at Ronnie Ebanks. Now, unlike you, I know him personally. Your opinion is conjecture. Mine is based on actual human contact. Mine is also completely different from your determination.

Now you make your ( incorrect ) claim about what Ebee said. What he actually said was that they were considering the move and Johnny getting injured perhaps hastened their decision. This is just what happened with Edgar Prado when Migliore got injured at a similar point in 1999 before Saratoga. It is not a lowlife move. It is a business decision. Johnny doesn't resent Ebee. I imagine part of his decision was based on speaking to Todd and getting some sort of assurances that Joel would get a chance in the barn. Todd may well ride Rosie because she shares an agent with Castellano but that doesn't mean he won't give others a shot. Then you throw in Chris Decarlo. You have to be kidding. Chris Decarlo.....Joel Rosario....hmmmm....who would I choose? If you choose Chris, you would be the only non-relative to do so.

Then you ask, out of the blue, about Graham Motion. You mean Ronnie Ebanks's friend Graham Motion, the one who trained Animal Kingdom? Say what you want, but this is what happens when you flail away in the dark about things you don't actually know about. You make unfair and incorrect conjectures. You know what, that's OK, as it's actually what we all do as handicappers at least a certain amount of the time. However, you couched your comments with personal attacks. That's actually what put you out of line.

Below is a direct quote from Ronnie Ebanks and this will clear up any inaccurate info you thought JG posted in this thread. I'm gald Ebanks is a friend of yours and I would be pissed if someone made a comment about a friend of mine as well. But as I posted below his statement wasn't inaccurate. I can tell you one thing JG is a straight up guy and knows many people in the industry as I do. We don't drop names on here out of respect to our friends, but we try to provide some inside stuff for forum members. We welcome you to the forum and I think we provide some of the best info on the net in this tight nitch forum. When you get a bone from Ebee drop us a line and it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, FB

A NEW YORK STATE OF MIND
    By John Piesen:

First of all, I gotta like Rosario's honesty. He and his agent, Ron (Lover Man) Eubanks, announced last weekend that they would be pulling up tack in southern
    California, where Rosario has been the long-time top dog, to make a career move to New York.

Is the factor that John Velazquez will be out indefinitely with shoulder and kidney injuries suffered in a terrible spill last Saturday at Churchill Downs a factor
    in the decision?

"Yes, it was," said Eubanks.

As I said, you gotta love the honesty here. I can't remember the last time an agent told the truth when it served no purpose. And I can't remember the last time
    a top California rider made it big in New York. Even Pincay and Shoemaker had only modest success trying to break into the Big Apple.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    I just dont like the move from west to east..jockeys out west get percieved a whole lot different then the east coasters. I think it would of been better for him to do it down in florida in the winter time imo.. And even though ebanks said that johnny v going down was a reason, I caught a interview with joel and he said he has been thinking about it for like a year now..I love rosario and i think he is one of the best finishers in the game but I think this was the wrong time to go...I will be betting him though..lol
    edited June 2012
    Ray,
    You might want to give him a day or two before putting money down. He gets two mounts on Wednesday, both on two year olds owned and trained by Wesley Ward. The 2yo colt is unraced but has been working at Keeneland and his times would almost make him competitive at Fairmont Park in East St. Louis. The fillie got trounced in her debut but came back to drop into $17k clm and scored a victory, now jumps up in to a stakes race. The good news is that Joel will not have to worry about using all of the horse, in fact he will probably be instructed to do so. One of these days I would like to see a stat on how many WW 2yo's are still racing at age 3?